Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 11:29 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times

Advertisements

No idea why my thread sharing pics of Rosie got closed, but, whatever.

I feed them once or twice a day, two dishes on top of cage.

How do you feed your birds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:54 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I only have one pet bird. He has a food dish on one side of the cage and water on the other side in holders halfway up the cage. I provide fresh food and water once per day. Occasionally when he gets piggy I have to change the water more than once per day

While I don't moderate on this forum, could have been an issue of storage of pictures and videos taking up too much space on the forum server. I can only speculate there. If you need to confirm, I suggest you reach out to a moderator for a possible explanation.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:56 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have 5 zebra finches 4 male and 1 female. One of the males is 7 years old. he stays in a cage by himself. His name is Squeak. I have 2 males Fred and Sam and they are in a cage together, they are almost 4 years old, they were the offspring of my BIL birds who's parents died 1 year after we got them. They had 2 sisters Gee Gee and Wilma but sadly both died in 2020 months apart. I was heart broken. I also have JR an LULU. Jr, LULU and squeak are my MIL birds but we have them now because she cannot care for them properly. We got LULU in December 2020. Her other female bird died so we got her another.
Anyway I give them fresh water and food 2 times a day and fresh bathing water twice a day. I change their cages once sometimes twice a week. They are my life.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have 5 zebra finches 4 male and 1 female. One of the males is 7 years old. he stays in a cage by himself. His name is Squeak. I have 2 males Fred and Sam and they are in a cage together, they are almost 4 years old, they were the offspring of my BIL birds who's parents died 1 year after we got them. They had 2 sisters Gee Gee and Wilma but sadly both died in 2020 months apart. I was heart broken. I also have JR an LULU. Jr, LULU and squeak are my MIL birds but we have them now because she cannot care for them properly. We got LULU in December 2020. Her other female bird died so we got her another.
Anyway I give them fresh water and food 2 times a day and fresh bathing water twice a day. I change their cages once sometimes twice a week. They are my life.
Nice, I had a few zebra finches 30-35 years ago. It amazes me how the little birds are way messier than the bigger birds.

I have a pair of Senegal parrots and a Amazon orange wing. I feed/water them once a day. Clean the cages twice a week. My male Senegal Mikey has been tearing up the paper and making a mess lately. Hope it is a bad habit he gets over soon.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:44 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
My honeycreepers get an alternating diet. These tiny guys basically run on sugar. On morning one they get freshly mixed Necton sunbird/hummer nectar. On morning two they get soft ripe minced fruit (unsweetened canned pears, peaches, etc). They'd probably prefer the nectar every day but that puts them at higher risk for fatty liver disease. They have access to the extra tiny size ZuPreem pellets 24/7.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:17 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My honeycreepers get an alternating diet. These tiny guys basically run on sugar. On morning one they get freshly mixed Necton sunbird/hummer nectar. On morning two they get soft ripe minced fruit (unsweetened canned pears, peaches, etc). They'd probably prefer the nectar every day but that puts them at higher risk for fatty liver disease. They have access to the extra tiny size ZuPreem pellets 24/7.
you have them as pets or are they wild? They are beautiful and I had never heard of these so i looked them up.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
you have them as pets or are they wild? They are beautiful and I had never heard of these so i looked them up.
I got the pair from an aviculturalist in CA over 10 years ago and assume they were wild caught. Few if any captive breeders in the US. Honeycreepers tend to coexist peacefully with other aviary residents (they're tiny...they know better than to start trouble!). Mine live in a 8'x4'x8' soft mesh aviary in my living room. Accommodating an aviary like that makes house buying much more "interesting"! They have quiet pleasant calls and songs compared to many more common indoor cage birds. They aren't hand tame but the male is more approachable than the female. He'd learn to perch on a hand pretty easily but I prefer not to encourage him. If he were to blunder out the aviary door, get loose in the house he could panic, fly into a window, and kill himself.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-25-2022 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 07:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We give them Nutriiballs twice a day. One gets 3 the other gets 2 each time. We give them assorted veggies from time to time. The Grey gets a couple of peanuts occasionally. Sometimes we give them some eggs, a bit of whatever we are eating, a little fruit, Once in a while (rarely) they hop around in the grass and eat whatever pleases them. Cockatoo steals dry dog food from the dog whenever she gets a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds