Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 05:40 PM

3,361 posts, read 1,747,839 times

Advertisements

Test drove a used 23' Miata, I can't believe how the car turns effortlessly and not electronically assisted like all sports cars today with fake steering.

It felt quick and fast on the road yet not crazy explosively dangerous. I was doing 40-60mph that felt like I was like on a Vette doing 90-120mph quick but not dangerous.

The car's tail followed and didn't exhibit any oversteering at high speeds and communicative. With the hard top it was much better than a convertible that you had to hold onto your hat or hair.

It was so much fun compared to some 500HP car that you felt strapped into a rollercoaster and trying to baby it from going too much like a freight train.

Can't wait to pick one up for keeps, it was so much fun and not feeling like sitting on a 18 wheeler like most SUVs and trucks today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 05:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 22,220,438 times
Convertible or the targa top one?

Old 05-14-2024, 06:19 PM

17,376 posts, read 12,337,391 times
Of course, did you have any doubt?

Old 05-14-2024, 06:22 PM

323 posts, read 201,462 times
Your experience is typical of most drivers the first time they get to pilot one of these light and nimble little cars. They are small inside so you end up wearing it more than sitting in it, and the tight dimensions mean that some larger individuals simply don’t fit. Everything on the roads now is so big and heavy that the feeling you get when driving something so light and responsive is a revelation unless you’re familiar with sporty cars from the past. Because it’s so low and exposed to the elements you feel as if you are traveling much faster than the speedometer indicates so it’s easy to have fun at legal speeds. The 2024 models have revised steering and rear differentials for even more precise handling at the limits, but even if you can’t justify parting with the money for a new one, late model lightly-used ones are out there for reasonable prices as many are bought as second cars and used only on weekends.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:33 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Test drove a used 23' Miata, I can't believe how the car turns effortlessly and not electronically assisted like all sports cars today with fake steering.

It felt quick and fast on the road yet not crazy explosively dangerous. I was doing 40-60mph that felt like I was like on a Vette doing 90-120mph quick but not dangerous.

The car's tail followed and didn't exhibit any oversteering at high speeds and communicative. With the hard top it was much better than a convertible that you had to hold onto your hat or hair.

It was so much fun compared to some 500HP car that you felt strapped into a rollercoaster and trying to baby it from going too much like a freight train.

Can't wait to pick one up for keeps, it was so much fun and not feeling like sitting on a 18 wheeler like most SUVs and trucks today.

The bolded is the one thing I disagree with.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:16 PM

323 posts, read 201,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The bolded is the one thing I disagree with.
Yes, that’s a common issue with the hard top models when the roof is open; there’s more turbulence in the cabin than an open top model, which is surprisingly calm at speed, especially with the windows up.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

4,632 posts, read 2,765,746 times
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

I regret that I didn't pick up a MIata during my years in New England; spring summer and fall there are perfect for a small sports car.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 22,220,438 times
Miatas are great for what they are but they are getting heavier and of course more expensive compared to the original 1990.

Jeeps have bloated over the years also so I guess its what people want.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

6,156 posts, read 2,917,044 times
Miata's are great if you can manage to get in and out of them without straining a few muscles! (I've sat in a newer one and was surprised at just how much effort was required to get in and out.)

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

21,931 posts, read 25,280,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Miatas are great for what they are but they are getting heavier and of course more expensive compared to the original 1990.

Jeeps have bloated over the years also so I guess its what people want.
50 pounds from NA (1.8) to ND (2.0). Most Americans around in the '90s have probably put on 50 pounds. It's no BMW where the M3 is a full half ton heavier than in the '90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive