Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 06:38 AM

389 posts, read 404,652 times

Advertisements

67 for me, you could have a Shelby GT500 Mustang, a Pontiac GTO, a COPO Camaro, a Corvette Roadster, just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 11:42 AM

1,920 posts, read 863,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
What I find interesting about this discussion, is how many posters have mentioned some of the muscle cars that were at the pinnacle of the "performance heap", when they were new.....yet don't mention how expensive they actually were, and how dealers had a difficult time selling them. I was always a car enthusiast, and in my late teen years, when these cars hit the streets, and I used to tag along with some of the older guys in my neighborhood, when they went new car shopping.

I still remember seeing a few cars like the '69 COPO Camaros, and the '69 Dodge Charger Daytonas, sitting in front of the dealerships, unsold. Why? Because in their day, these "specials" were pretty expensive. I recall reading the window sticker of one of the COPOs, and the line item on it read, "Special Performance Package". The price for this package was in the neighborhood of $1000...on a car that was $3200, if you simply bought the SS package with the 350 engine. In other words, the COPO package added 30% to the cost of the car!
You're assuming they were new when purchased

Old 05-16-2024, 01:58 PM

8,607 posts, read 11,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
CalGuy you damned near made it impossible to answer, but since you said only ONE from those years,

I'd choose a 1963 Corvette, Split window, Z06, Tanker. Only 63 made.

I know, you didn't ask, but also:
1967 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
1967 Pontiac GTO, 360HP HO (I actually bought this one new in '67, $3200)

In my original post, I wanted to now the year/decade, of the most desirable period for you in determining a vehicle purchase, not a particular vehicle.

I did mention that I bought a 57 Ford, but that was just my choice, though any vehicle produced in that year I felt I could be happy with.
Pick a year/ decade and then explain why you made that choice.
For me, the 1957 models were all stunning vehicles, both in style, and some in performance.
In 1957, style being the a main reason for a purchase, it could be a very difficult choice, as all 1957 vehicles were great pieces of automotive art, especially from the Chrysler stable.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:42 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,233,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You're assuming they were new when purchased
I'm talking about when I was personally looking at those cars, when they were brand new, in 1969-70, sitting on dealer's lots........

Old 05-16-2024, 03:30 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,889,511 times
Well, not particularly fast cars but I especially like the cars from the 50s. I was born in '51 so I remember them and my family would always go on a Friday night to the car dealers when the new models would come out in the fall. Dealers would have WWII spotlights to attract attention. We would come home with all these brochures from the different dealers. My brother and I had scale model cars that we collected. I still have some of the better ones in the garage.

Saying all of that, my dream car was always a '59 Cadillac sedan. I loved the big fins and the pointed tail lights. Second would be a '71-72 Eldorado before they put the oversized bumpers on them.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about when I was personally looking at those cars, when they were brand new, in 1969-70, sitting on dealer's lots........
Yep, that's what I said. No one I knew, including myself, could afford a brand-new car back then. But a 4 or 5 year old car in those models was still awesome.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:12 PM

4,773 posts, read 3,077,173 times
1963 Ford T-Bird or 1964 Buick Riviera

Old 05-17-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's what I said. No one I knew, including myself, could afford a brand-new car back then. But a 4 or 5 year old car in those models was still awesome.
I see what you mean, but in my experience, "those cars", by the time they were 4-5 years old, either had been turned into "well thrashed race cars", or rarely driven, collector's toys, and worth even more money.

I'm pretty sure that I left a few "drool spots" on the black-on-black COPO Camaro, that my local dealer had, prior to it eventually being sold, and becoming a full-time drag car. But after 2-3 seasons on the drag strip, it went into storage, for a LONG time, then got cleaned up, and turned up at Barrett-Jackson, and sold for some outrageous amount of money. Had I only had the foresight, at the time.....

Old 05-18-2024, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I see what you mean, but in my experience, "those cars", by the time they were 4-5 years old, either had been turned into "well thrashed race cars", or rarely driven, collector's toys, and worth even more money.
Nope. They were rugged. I bought mine used & it was my daily driver for years, including a long commute back & forth to grad school. It never let me down.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Nope. They were rugged. I bought mine used & it was my daily driver for years, including a long commute back & forth to grad school. It never let me down.
It appears that you got lucky. Where I live, if one of those cars, back then, was "daily driven", the road salt got to it after 3-4 winters, and it turned into a "rot box".....Care to tell us what your car was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive