Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:15 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,341,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
What about a coyote or a deer? Personally, I'd rather hit one of them than have the tailgating pickup behind me slam into my rear.

What about a moose? And a tailgating vehicle can hit you for ANY reason. Like a stoplight or stop sign. In fact, MOST rear end accidents happen in THAT situation, rather than when slamming on the brakes to avoid a deer. Are you going to rail against stop signs now, too?

I mean IS this really better than getting rear-ended?

I think I'd rather a pickup hit the back of the car than a deer or moose hitting me in the face.

Sometimes I wonder about some of you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 06:24 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,775,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
What about a coyote or a deer? Personally, I'd rather hit one of them than have the tailgating pickup behind me slam into my rear.
Personally, I would rather be rear ended. Let their insurance company pay for the damage, lol.

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

13,721 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I check my tire pressures once a month, and the spare tire pressure at least a couple times a year, so TPMS is of limited value to me.
Lots of things are of little value to many people. It isn't a big deal for me, either. But it is old enough tech that one can't talk about it being a newfangled gadget anymore than a digital home thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My concern when I read that backup cameras were going to be mandated is that the backup camera treats the symptom and not the cause. Rear visibility is often awful in modern vehicles, such as my 2019 Buick Encore. I wish the digital rear view mirror had been available.
That's true but they have real value all the same. My Dad added one to a 20 year old truck. It's great for lining up the trailer. It's great for backing it into the garage in a tight place when he puts it away for an extended period. Actually, for backing into places it's great.

And, given that the risk managers at my last company made it a policy for employees to park in a manner allowing us to depart from the parking spot by driving forwards instead of reverse, in that regard it allows you to be safer, etc (backing into spaces quickly enough that it isn't a hassle.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How sensitive will it be? It won't be slamming on the brakes for rabbits on the road, will it?
"Will it be?" What year is your car you or your spouse is driving? There is a high chance one of you drives with it already. If not and you've rented a car in the last several years, there's a likelihood you've driven with it there as well. But I doubt it.

This video is 10 years old of a Mazda CX5. It isn't a perfect system but it helps.
https://youtu.be/PF0AcyMFtMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Is this true or are you just speculating?

IMHO, this is a non-issue and would be designed in the software and tested on the track, and de-bugged if necessary.

I am just asking if you are speculating that this could be a problem or have you actually seen, heard, or read documentation that this is a genuine limitation of AEB systems?
OP is speculating. Chances are you or your spouse or OP/OP's spouse drive a car with it already. As of 2017 the majority of cars sold by Toyota, Mercedes, Subaru, VW, Honda, Nissan and Tesla had it.

I had a Rav4 for 2-3 years that had it. I've driven my MIL's 2018-19 Highlander for multiple road trips and borrowed it for a week when she was out of town. My mother's Honda Pilot has it. A GMC Acadia I rented had it.

Never once did I find it intrusive or noticeable.

Old Today, 07:48 AM

16,560 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

OP is speculating. Chances are you or your spouse or OP/OP's spouse drive a car with it already. As of 2017 the majority of cars sold by Toyota, Mercedes, Subaru, VW, Honda, Nissan and Tesla had it.
Literally every car maker started offering this around 15-17. And I say offering because it was either only on the high end models, or part of a package. Which actually pissed me off when I bought my Mazda in 16.

I only got the "City Braking" feature which only activates below 30 mph. I had to pay extra to get the "Highway Braking" package. Didn't get that one.

"We make really safe cars! We want you to be safe! BUT.... you gotta' pay for it!!!"
Seriously? I think paying for safety is just BS. You should make every car as safe as you can...not just for those that can afford it.
I think Toyota was the first to make it a standard option across all models and trims. Which, of course, sparked others to follow suit.

And yet here.... people complain about it.

(FTR) my City Braking has engaged exactly 2 times...since 2016. And one of those times it probably prevented me from bumping into a car in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive