Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 08:02 AM

16,593 posts, read 19,806,770 times

Advertisements

Did someone actually imply this is some conspiracy by automakers to get a few more dollars out of us?
COme on man...not everything is a conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
no one wants a base vehicle. I'm not saying there isn't a market for them - some people really do want them, but it's so low as to be negligible in the overall scheme.
All your story tells me is that people don't want a base model Jeep. When I was shopping for Volvo's, it's absolute crazy town how many Momentum trims there are in the years I wanted versus the middle or upper trim. I would guess minimum 3 base models for every one of the other 2. It was pretty eye opening. I didn't expect that.

Quote:
I won't buy a car without a sunroof, and I prefer a pano roof. Feels too closed in without it and I like the extra light. My Jeep has the pano roof with shade, and my truck has a sunroof. I have them open as long as it's not a hundred degrees outside. 80 and sunny? I'm driving with all the windows open. 60's? Same. 50's I'll usually have it open on vent.
And we're back to agreeing on everything. I will not own a car without one and haven't had a car without one since I was in high school. (Long time ago).

I bet at least half the anti sunroof people are the type that prefer closed windows. Never ceases to amaze me that first warm day we get in the late winter/spring and half the people on the road, at least, have the windows closed and the AC on.... OPEN YOUR WINDOWS! Everyone whines about winter and when it gets warm, they quickly turn that AC on...Pet Peeve #221

Quote:

If we know it's going to be a scorcher, I'll close the shade when I park it.
My Volvo will automatically detect if it's getting hot and close the shade for me when it's parked. That's AF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 09:38 AM

4,637 posts, read 2,788,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I bet at least half the anti sunroof people are the type that prefer closed windows. Never ceases to amaze me that first warm day we get in the late winter/spring and half the people on the road, at least, have the windows closed and the AC on.... OPEN YOUR WINDOWS! Everyone whines about winter and when it gets warm, they quickly turn that AC on...Pet Peeve #221....
Come down where I live.

If you see a Texan driving around in August with the windows open, stay clear - his AC's broken, he's hot, he's angry and he's armed.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:45 PM

10,395 posts, read 6,977,684 times
This is where the Aptera comes in....

Old 04-14-2024, 07:40 AM

7,220 posts, read 9,385,425 times
While in graduate school in Tucson at the U of A in the early 70s, I was working on a research project to design solar collectors.

I remember measuring the temperature roofs on cars at high noon during June. I found just one black car, a new Camaro owned by a student from Wisconsin. At that time, black cars in Tucson were very rare.

Its roof temp measured 204 degrees F. An adjacent white car measured 160 degrees. I'll bet the interior temps were similarly distinct. The interior plastics degrade as a function of temperature.

Thermal degradation tends to accelerate exponentially with increasing temperature, rather than following a linear relationship.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:20 AM

17,669 posts, read 17,847,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Did someone actually imply this is some conspiracy by automakers to get a few more dollars out of us?
COme on man...not everything is a conspiracy.

All your story tells me is that people don't want a base model Jeep. When I was shopping for Volvo's, it's absolute crazy town how many Momentum trims there are in the years I wanted versus the middle or upper trim. I would guess minimum 3 base models for every one of the other 2. It was pretty eye opening. I didn't expect that.

And we're back to agreeing on everything. I will not own a car without one and haven't had a car without one since I was in high school. (Long time ago).

I bet at least half the anti sunroof people are the type that prefer closed windows. Never ceases to amaze me that first warm day we get in the late winter/spring and half the people on the road, at least, have the windows closed and the AC on.... OPEN YOUR WINDOWS! Everyone whines about winter and when it gets warm, they quickly turn that AC on...Pet Peeve #221

My Volvo will automatically detect if it's getting hot and close the shade for me when it's parked. That's AF.
I’m in south Louisiana where it is truly humid. There are times you begin to sweat just stepping outside the house because of the humidity and temperature, I’ve had older cars that I’ve driven with the windows open and they didn’t have the buffeting and booming wind noise like today’s more aerodynamic vehicles with windows open. On rare days I will have my windows open when going 35 mph but above 40 mph the noise from the wind is too much. My wife’s Kona has a sunroof. She didn’t want the sunroof but it was included in the same package as the things she wanted. We tried driving with the sunroof open at low and high speeds and hated the noise and heat. Only advantage for us is using it to flush out the hot air when it’s been parked in the sun for a few hours. Get back to her Kona, open all windows, open sunroof to allow hot air to escape, then close up when AC starts cooling. Besides heat, another disadvantage of sunroof is reduced headroom for tall people. If I lived further north then I could see opening a sunroof more frequently. But along the coastal area of the Gulf of Mexico and the US southwest region where summer temperatures can exceed 100 regularly I see a sunroof as a no deal.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:25 AM

17,669 posts, read 17,847,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
While in graduate school in Tucson at the U of A in the early 70s, I was working on a research project to design solar collectors.

I remember measuring the temperature roofs on cars at high noon during June. I found just one black car, a new Camaro owned by a student from Wisconsin. At that time, black cars in Tucson were very rare.

Its roof temp measured 204 degrees F. An adjacent white car measured 160 degrees. I'll bet the interior temps were similarly distinct. The interior plastics degrade as a function of temperature.

Thermal degradation tends to accelerate exponentially with increasing temperature, rather than following a linear relationship.
And the roof insulation at that time was worthless. I had a yellow 78 Camaro that was always parked in the sun as my first car (it was 8 years old and in bad shape). First thing I did was tint the windows. Didn’t do it for looks. Car had black vinyl seats. Also had those early cardboard windshield shades. I could feel the heat radiating from the roof. Learned to drive with driver’s side window open until the AC started cooling and left the window cracked until the interior actually got comfortable.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:28 PM

4,637 posts, read 2,788,809 times
Well, maybe there's a reason why, when auto manufacturers take cars to Phoenix for summer hot testing, they use black or navy blue cars with black interiors and sunroofs? Or do the thermal systems engineers at all the US automakers have no clue?

Of COURSE black and dark colored cars, with dark interiors, and sunroofs allowing still MORE solar load, get hotter! Please refer to freshman physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive