Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 11:17 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times

Advertisements

Many years back I slept in my car when my first wife and I were on the outs. Fortunately it was a 65 Ford with quite a big back seat. I slept in a parking lot near where I worked so I could got to work the next day. After that, I always kept a "go bag" in my car trunk with a change of clothes, toiletries, and a blanket. I was prepared but fortunately we got divorced and I never had to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:38 AM

2,357 posts, read 1,748,768 times
I have, many times. I am 63 now so I rarely do it these days, but I often did it even into my 40s and 50s. And now in my 60s I still might do it, in a pinch.

Sleeping in the driver’s seat, even fully reclined, is not optimal but you do get some rest. On my domestic USA business trips I would often extend the travel days with some PTO to see the sights. I’ve hit every MLB team’s stadium this way, except for the Atlanta Braves. I had a folding blanket that zipped up into a 16”x16” pack, and I had a small, foldable travel cooler.

I’ve slept in a corn field in Iowa, Walmart parking lots in many places, the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri, and off the road in other various places. To be safe you have to be far off of the road. The shoulder of a highway is a dangerous place to stop and sleep. A drowsy driver could easily slam into you. Stay far from the roadway.

And then for more ‘luxury’ (it’s a relative term), being able to lie flat with your legs and feet up, provides for much better rest. I used to have a 2001 Honda CR-V, the last year of the first generation, and its seats would fold flat to make a bed that was about the size of a twin bed. That was very comfortable!

Here are some pictures of the setup:
https://imgur.com/a/0gc7Lbm

As you can see it is quite comfortable. 15 years ago my wife, our dog, and I did a 6 week road trip through the southwestern US this way, and we spent about 12 nights in the CR-V. That’s a savings of about $1,000. Not bad. Even in sub-freezing temps we were warm and comfortable with a down comforter on us, and a down feather bed beneath us for extra insulation. It’s interesting to wake up to frost covering the inside of your windows.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:35 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,858,716 times
That is part of the road trip!

Old 04-25-2024, 11:44 PM

Most definitely!

Old 04-29-2024, 06:36 AM

21,920 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Yay! Finally... Fellow car campers -- or do you prefer another term? Some on my other thread strenuously object to it (although they don't personally do it). My motto has always been "save it here to spend it there," and I particularly like to apply that to travel. THIS strategy makes it painless and easy.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:07 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I have, many times. I am 63 now so I rarely do it these days, but I often did it even into my 40s and 50s. And now in my 60s I still might do it, in a pinch.

Sleeping in the driver’s seat, even fully reclined, is not optimal but you do get some rest. On my domestic USA business trips I would often extend the travel days with some PTO to see the sights. I’ve hit every MLB team’s stadium this way, except for the Atlanta Braves. I had a folding blanket that zipped up into a 16”x16” pack, and I had a small, foldable travel cooler.

I’ve slept in a corn field in Iowa, Walmart parking lots in many places, the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri, and off the road in other various places. To be safe you have to be far off of the road. The shoulder of a highway is a dangerous place to stop and sleep. A drowsy driver could easily slam into you. Stay far from the roadway.

And then for more ‘luxury’ (it’s a relative term), being able to lie flat with your legs and feet up, provides for much better rest. I used to have a 2001 Honda CR-V, the last year of the first generation, and its seats would fold flat to make a bed that was about the size of a twin bed. That was very comfortable!

Here are some pictures of the setup:
https://imgur.com/a/0gc7Lbm

As you can see it is quite comfortable. 15 years ago my wife, our dog, and I did a 6 week road trip through the southwestern US this way, and we spent about 12 nights in the CR-V. That’s a savings of about $1,000. Not bad. Even in sub-freezing temps we were warm and comfortable with a down comforter on us, and a down feather bed beneath us for extra insulation. It’s interesting to wake up to frost covering the inside of your windows.

You can try adding an air mattress but a foam mattress topper works well also (just doesn't collapse as much when not in use)

Old 04-29-2024, 01:53 PM

21,920 posts, read 13,004,619 times
An air mattress is also colder in winter than foam padding.

Old Today, 01:23 PM

Exactly. Air mattresses also fail. And they take longer to set up and tear down. The foam pad we used in the CR-V was plenty comfortable.

10 years ago for my Jeep Grand Cherokee I went to a foam shop to have cut outs made. It’s very comfortable in the back of the Jeep.

Imgur, Jeep Grand Cherokee, foam bed ➜ https://imgur.com/gallery/QXJxc0T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive