Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 06:48 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Luxembourg a tax haven? Are you sure? It had a progressive tax system last time I looked. Hardly cheap either. Still highly attractive as figures show in attracting incomers.
Only other countries I can think of with per cent totals of population nearing Australian levels are Switzerland and Israel. Although Australia is moving away from them with the turbo immigration being experienced.

I would almost say Australia's immigration policy is something of a joke. Encouraging large elements into non productive means of earning. But regardless all activity will raise GDP levels regardless of legality of 'trade' being plied.
Yep, a lot of big companies use shell companies incorporated in Luxembourg as a clearing house for there profits. I throught that was well known?

Or course we will never know if the below is 100% correct or not, and the Luxembourg government deny it. However a country does not normally become a filthy rich financial centre and the choosen home of immigrating billionairs, by implimenting a progressive tax system and been transparent.

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs...0_4355770.html

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-20-2023 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 11:14 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yep, a lot of big companies use shell companies incorporated in Luxembourg as a clearing house for there profits. I throught that was well known?

Or course we will never know if the below is 100% correct or not, and the Luxembourg government deny it. However a country does not normally become a filthy rich financial centre and the choosen home of immigrating billionairs, by implimenting a progressive tax system and been transparent.

Yes in that sense it is. Not unlike Ireland of course. But maintains a progressive tax system. Both countries are expensive and that would contribute. Not sure if Luxembourg is home to so many billionaires? I'd have thought Switzerland would have more likely fit that bill.
I recall Luxembourg back in the eighties when Portugueses, for the most part would pick the tomato's in season then leave to return home.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:31 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Luxembourg's rules around dividends dressed up as interest payments would certainly fit into most definitions of "tax haven."

Nice place though Luxembourg. Have friends who live there that we visit every couple of years.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:20 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
At airports it is but then you have large numbers entering through illegal border crossings. Probably fair to say, this method of entry has suppressed wages in a number of jobs over the decades.

I suspect we need a greater' intellectual' intake of migrant. One that may possess an ability to call out what is happening, hopefully posses scruples and demand accountability.

We have tradies as it is, who appear to decide how much they work, if at all, charge a fortune and appear to possess a high degree of entitlement.

Nothing to suggest, that further intakes of Irish or UK tradies would change much. A few around me from those countries have quit mining jobs (well paid, one may assume) to largely remain at home.
Why shouldn't tradies charge a fortune? There are people who work in finance who play as financial middle men and offer little to society and get paid twice as much. That's the market mate. We can't cry about the poor standard of housing when we pay the workers peanuts. Of course Australia now has such a problem with labor that the quality is taking a hit because people are rushing jobs and cutting corners to maximize profits.

Also there is a significant decline of Irish and British tradies. IT, Engineering and more higher skilled roles are what most young people seem interested in those countries. This means that Australia will have to get those tradies from elsewhere. We need more Filipinos in Perth. They essentially prop the New Zealand building industry up with the numbers they have there and they are very skilled and hard working guys. We need THOUSANDS to essentially save the housing crisis. Unfortunately we have an incredibly incompetent government who are clueless

Old 09-21-2023, 06:51 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Why shouldn't tradies charge a fortune? There are people who work in finance who play as financial middle men and offer little to society and get paid twice as much. That's the market mate. We can't cry about the poor standard of housing when we pay the workers peanuts. Of course Australia now has such a problem with labor that the quality is taking a hit because people are rushing jobs and cutting corners to maximize profits.

Also there is a significant decline of Irish and British tradies. IT, Engineering and more higher skilled roles are what most young people seem interested in those countries. This means that Australia will have to get those tradies from elsewhere. We need more Filipinos in Perth. They essentially prop the New Zealand building industry up with the numbers they have there and they are very skilled and hard working guys. We need THOUSANDS to essentially save the housing crisis. Unfortunately we have an incredibly incompetent government who are clueless
What we need is to bring immigration under control, as I repeatedly write. So the importation of thousands of Pilipino building workers is your suggestion to solving the crisis? Already sites a few years back in the inner city were employing Chinese workers as well as (I believe) Pilipino and one site on the street next to mine, Brazilian, who insisted on playing Samba like music at a very high volume and for some reason did not return on site the following week. I suspect that area is rather prone to corruption and needs monitoring or would end up in a farce much like our education system.

We need to get our own tradies back to work. Too many around me as already mentioned, appear to work very little. Their expensive vehicles more often than not parked in their drive ways.

I'd suggest immigration from developed countries these days is very difficult. The huge cost of moving to a far away country like Australia, with some of the most expensive housing costs in the world, qualifications not always recognised, negates a lot of the potential benefits previous generations gained by moving to a country like Australia. Okay if young and single and coming out on a working holiday, but if set up in UK why would someone?

Obviously coming from developing world more benefits at the moment than negatives.

Nothing wrong with tradies earning a decent living, just as nothing wrong with other sectors like nurses and teachers and so on. But I still think there is something out of kilter, when the guy that cleans my gutter for example can earn more than a university lecturer or social worker .This situation was not always the case.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
We recently spent a two weeks vacation in Australia.

It definitely felt different in a good way.
People in general seemed nice, helpful
and friendly.

But there is A LOT - and I mean A LOT of influx from third world Asian counties - you will run into some not very articulate people. In the beginning I thought I was in China lol. Our Airbnb host was a Chinese gentleman who was nice and helpful
Australia is definitely not the cheapest. House sizes in general seemed very small to us in Sydney or Melbourne. But their price wee skyrocketing.

We did a few unplanned things, and it was fun, but we spent exactly the double of our anticipated budget.

I don’t think you will see those typical businesses and store looting scenes in Australia that we now see quite often in nyc Chicago LA etc

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65685251-post21.html

Old 09-23-2023, 01:26 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

and friendly.

But there is A LOT - and I mean A LOT of influx from third world Asian counties - you will run into some not very articulate people. In the beginning I thought I was in China lol. Our Airbnb host was a Chinese gentleman who was nice and helpful
Australia is definitely not the cheapest. House sizes in general seemed very small to us in Sydney or Melbourne. But their price wee skyrocketing.

We did a few unplanned things, and it was fun, but we spent exactly the double of our anticipated budget.

I don’t think you will see those typical businesses and store looting scenes in Australia that we now see quite often in nyc Chicago LA etc

I'm guessing older inner city neighbourhoods? Houses generally get a lot bigger the further out from the CBD you go, particularly newer predominantly residential areas.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:50 AM

2,293 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I'm guessing older inner city neighbourhoods? Houses generally get a lot bigger the further out from the CBD you go, particularly newer predominantly residential areas.
Australia overall actually has the largest house sizes in the world, but close to the inner city, many of the small houses were built originally as houses for the workers. They are very highly sought these days.

There has been a huge influx of students, temporary workers and immigrants this year, particularly as our border was closed for nearly two years because of Covid. Many are from Asia but of course places like Singapore and Malaysia, from which many come, are developed countries.

I am surprised that you found it so expensive because our dollar is so low at the moment. We have postponed any ideas of visiting the US again until the dollar improves. Was it the accommodation or the food, or other costs which were a lot more than you expected?

Old 09-23-2023, 06:42 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

and friendly.

Are things really that bad in the US? The way many make it sound today is that it is descending into a third world country. I work with a guy who used to live in Chicago and he mostly hated the place. He said you were always on edge and that the US is only really for the Upper class. Funny how all this is hidden from the world so that's why I'm asking if this is exaggerated a bit? Australia has it's fair share of crime and poverty and a housing crisis MUCH worse than the US

Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Are things really that bad in the US? The way many make it sound today is that it is descending into a third world country. I work with a guy who used to live in Chicago and he mostly hated the place. He said you were always on edge and that the US is only really for the Upper class. Funny how all this is hidden from the world so that's why I'm asking if this is exaggerated a bit? Australia has it's fair share of crime and poverty and a housing crisis MUCH worse than the US
Don't even get me started.

The new laws and legislation in many states now support and encourage crime.

You can't call the police if your stolen property amount is less than $900.00

And if you try to stop the looters and thieves, the police will throw the entire law book on you. The looters and thieves will then sue you and take you to court for racial attacks, and the idiotic judges will favor them.

Sexually crude and explicit material taught in schools to 8-year-olds. If parents object, they are called mental patients.

Southern borders are opened and an entire continent of illegal and unskilled flood immigrants are pouring in. This simply means more and more crime, and more and more strain on welfare services, and less and less money to increase law enforcement to control the increasing crime with increasing poverty.

It's total madness.

NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles have gone down the drain. To me, these places are not livable anymore.

During my trip in Australia, we met an elderly couple who lived in NYC in the 80's.
They told me, we had the time of our lives in NYC but now, we get into tears when watching and reading the crime news about the falling apart NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand