Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seoul match Tokyo and Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
Yes 43 55.84%
No 34 44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM

1,136 posts, read 527,975 times

Advertisements

HK WAS able to attract more visitors from West, South and Southeast Asia, Mainland China and Taiwan due to extensive flight routes and closer distances than Tokyo and Seoul. Japan has few protests, South Korea has more and very big protests but still more peaceful than protests in HK. Singapore has almost no protest in addition to low crime rate. South Koreans are more open and friendly to foreigners than Japanese. They are also more direct to express their views in conversation and protests than the Japanese.

Protests followed by vandalism , arson and assaults are now common in weekends and public holidays in HK.

Japanese is easier to read than Korean for a Chinese reader because it has kanji.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
As someone who lives in Tokyo and has visited Seoul (and Hong Kong) before, I would say Seoul cannot stand up to Tokyo or Hong Kong. Seoul and Tokyo are somewhat similar, but honestly, Seoul seemed like a lower quality, cheaper version of Tokyo with a lot of the same type of attractions. I had an alright time there during my week stay, and many Koreans told me to go to Busan instead for a more "authentic", interesting Korean experience. Food and cleanliness are much better in Tokyo, however I found the Koreans to be much more open and friendly than Japanese. Train systems were about the same, maybe better in Seoul, with the station layouts being better in Seoul (I liked the fact that they tell you what is at each stop, and what is outside each exit). Korea became developed much more recently than Japan, and because of this, Seoul still has a bit of that rugged appeal, and felt more "Asian" so to speak.
Hong Kong, however, wins against both Tokyo and Seoul in terms of tourist attractions in my opinion, but I can't imagine living there, especially now with the sketchy situation down there.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 10-11-2019 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
Seoul South Korea actually wins over Tokyo Japan or Hong Kong China for Independent Cafes(Especially when Fancy not Plain with Chandeliers), amount of actual Europe style buildings, entire total range of costs in survival or luxury among foreign tourists, financial burdens for the native people that live over there, Public transportation network, even Weather Climate. One of the top rank best mega cities in mainland Asia.

Specific range of tourism site landmarks is equally respectable, Evenly exotic alien Languages as able to see in Sino Writing: 특정 범위의 관광 명소 랜드마크는 동등하게 존경받을 만합니다. 에서 볼 수 있는 균일한 이국적인 외계인 언어.

While there is a solid skyline for Seoul, even if a bit obscure, the building representation structure is much easier to find in Hong Kong especially, and Tokyo. Probably, the only standard that triumphs in favor of Hong Kong, Tokyo.

Last edited by ; 04-06-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM

676 posts, read 650,318 times
I've been to all three multiple times and Seoul just doesn't quite have the quality of attractions, dining, climate and general feel. Actually I find it quite similar to Tokyo but just a much smaller version... all of the general (very broadly speaking) types of attractions I had visited in Tokyo, there was a similar type in Seoul, just less of it and less impressive overall on those.

Don't get me wrong I think Seoul is very much overlooked and a fantastic city in Asia to visit but Hong Kong is still a cultural titan as a visitor (less so attractive as investment/living now by far) and Tokyo is Paris-level in terms of worldwide tourism experience. Seoul just isn't on the same tier, but still well worth visiting.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:48 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,030,536 times
Both will likely be the last places on earth where stupid covid restrictions will be removed. They're not loosing just me obviously, they're loosing billions from people all over the world. If the covid didn't exist I would've moved there, actually to either Tokyo or a city in Korea with sea - like Busan.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,979,507 times
I think Seoul is catching up and is still a long way to go. Hong Kong is no longer perceived as a major travel hub in the past few years.

The Big 6 Travel Hubs in Asia are now: Delhi / Doha / Dubai / Guangzhou / Istanbul / Tokyo

Source : https://www.oag.com/busiest-airports-world

Old 04-08-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Both will likely be the last places on earth where stupid covid restrictions will be removed. They're not loosing just me obviously, they're loosing billions from people all over the world. If the covid didn't exist I would've moved there, actually to either Tokyo or a city in Korea with sea - like Busan.
You are right on Hong Kong/China, and Japan for Tokyo. Also, correct that a vast majority of Asian republics weren't ever supposed to overreact to the Virus Pandemic to make the situation even worse and more lethal than the actual situation. I wouldn't be surprised if that China airplane that crashed recently is exactly because the airplanes over there aren't in regular operation mode for that long.

However, South Korea is actually one of the first, most earliest countries on Planet Earth to reopen for Foreign tourism. I believe around the last days of May 2020! Similar to Mexico. Three calendar years before right now. Polar opposite version of Tawain, China, Japan.

Although, unlike Mexico, South Korea went through frequent three weeks+ lockdowns even when case rate stayed relatively low. The 14 days Quarantine rule didn't go out the window yet even in the middle of Summer 2021. Finally, people had to wear face masks virtually every second when outside in public. Even South Koea overreacted. Although, I applaude, congratulate the governing system of South Korea to reopen for Tourists that early. Kind of a mixed occurrence at this point.

I lived through one of those Seoul South Korea lockdowns. The restaurants stayed open, while in contrast the Cafes were closed for one month(Mid December 2020 to Middle of January 2021). One reason why I extended my stay past Middle of January is to get those Independent Cafes in control. Without any regret. I got to enjoy up to 17 Independent Cafes inside throughout the entire country of South Korea. One of the best in Asia for Cafes.

I don't think Tokyo Japan, or Hong Kong China are with those types of Coffeehouses. And more expensive to stay there. So, not able to accommodate myself for equal amount of three months as with South Korea, including Seoul.

Unfortunately, the Pandemic Virus did directly affect mainland Asia life throughout the entire Continent. South Korea is probably lucky compared to Japan, China.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I think Seoul is catching up and is still a long way to go. Hong Kong is no longer perceived as a major travel hub in the past few years.

The Big 6 Travel Hubs in Asia are now: Delhi / Doha / Dubai / Guangzhou / Istanbul / Tokyo

Aren't Doha Qatar, Dubai UAE, Istanbul Turkey in the real Middle East Continent? Asia, who? Endless Mosques, Nargile smoke lounges, Spirituality(Before "Religion"), Arabic Turkic Languages, Appearance, In Between Europe & Asia is another unique Atmosphere. I went to all of three of those cities: Doha(2016), Dubai(2021), Istanbul(2021), and trust me Middle East before Asia.

Only Delhi India, Guangzhou China, Tokyo Japan are officially in this Continent.

Hong Kong, Shanghai no doubt just might end up in the top 6 if the Pandemic Virus didn't mess policy up over there. Then again, how did another Chinese city get membership status?

Seoul is already right on top of the mainland Asia cities ranks system. Probably even further than Guangzhou. Seoul is at least equal to Tokyo.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:37 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,030,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Well I can't quite translate this to english but there's this idiom in my language which sounds like "horses in an enclosure" that is "коне с капаци" - it means someone who is just following the course and lacks analytical thinking. Which is exactly the problem with South Korea and Japan, they and most of the world reacted as if covid is rabies, ebola, fatal familial insomnia or any other very dangerous infectious disease. Even as of today you need PCR test to enter both and there are no plans for this to be removed, you can't rely on maritime entry without test either. Unless you find a way to swim behind marine security or fly above the radars it seems impossible if you want to enter unvaccinated and without PCR in either Korea or Japan.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:23 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,040 times
Having been to both several times, Id much rather go to Seoul than Hong Kong, having said that I am married to a Korean and her family all live in Seoul, so I see Hong Kong Far more from a tourists perspective than Seoul.

Never been to Tokyo, but the photos I see of the back streets and alleys etc do remind me a lot of Seoul, in terms of layout.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post

Of those places, which city is the most crypto-friendly?(i.e. Lowest crypto tax rates(%), etc.) How come nobody on this forum talks about cryptocurrencies when planning his/her future? It's the Year of 2022, not 2002 or even 2012! Are people still against decentralization of the current financial system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia