Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 02:11 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The setting is what makes that house-
But, it's a split foyer- oh, how I hate split foyers!

I hate splits, as well, but the inside of that house was spectacular. And yes, it fit it's setting quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 07:02 AM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
For commercial or scholastic architecture, I am very fond of early 20th century neo-gothic style and the perfect examples are Tribune Tower in Chicago and the Main Quadrangle of the University of Chicago. For residential, it has to be prairie style from 1910 - 1925, particularly if many of the original defining features are still intact.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:59 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I like bungalows/craftsman.

Why? Wide overhangs, front porch, I even like the brackets. There's usually bedrooms on the first floot even if it's 1 1/2 story. Beautiful woodwork and built ins are a bonus.
I like most everything in residential architecture styles used in the US from the 1600s to the 1930s. I do quite like the styles used from the 1900s to the 1930s, including craftsman bungalows, tudors, shingle style and four-squares. Most of the homes built in that period were designed and built better than those that preceded them, at least uniformly so. There were always well designed and finely built homes for the wealthy, but the homes for the average person were a lot more uneven in both design and construction in the 1600s to the 1800s.

The interior details in the homes from this period (some call "arts and crafts") have beautiful naturalistic themes and are simplified from the Victorian interiors that preceded them - which can be excessive.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:09 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I like most everything in residential architecture styles used in the US from the 1600s to the 1930s. I do quite like the styles used from the 1900s to the 1930s, including craftsman bungalows, tudors, shingle style and four-squares. Most of the homes built in that period were designed and built better than those that preceded them, at least uniformly so. There were always well designed and finely built homes for the wealthy, but the homes for the average person were a lot more uneven in both design and construction in the 1600s to the 1800s.

The interior details in the homes from this period (some call "arts and crafts") have beautiful naturalistic themes and are simplified from the Victorian interiors that preceded them - which can be excessive.
Historical note:

"Arts and Crafts" was the name of the movement that arose around 1880 in Britain and spread around the world; in the US, it was popular from about 1890 to the end of World War I. The Philadelphia suburb of Rose Valley was founded in 1901 as a utopian community by Arts and Crafts Movement adherents.

The style of house we call "Craftsman" derives from this movement and is named for the magazine founded in 1901 by furniture designer Gustav Stickley, a promoter of the movement in America. The two house styles are virtually indistinguishable, but there are a few subtle differences between them.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:38 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Most of the homes built in that period were designed and built better than those that preceded them, at least uniformly so.
If you’re not going to quantify or qualify that statement- “uniformly”, it’s false!

Old 01-29-2023, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I prefer contemporary / Prairie combination, with a lot of interior bungalow spaces (built-ins, natural wood trim, interior stone, hidden closets in nooks & stairway, lots of windows)
Bringing the outdoors, indoors. https://www.pinterest.com/iamada/bri...tdoors-inside/

I like my home designs to be subordinate / complimentary to the environment and setting (A requirement in my current location, a federally protected national scenic area. )

I hope to build a rammed earth home next.
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/mem.../021289044.pdf
https://www.google.com/search?

q=rammed+earth+home&sxsrf=AJOqlzVNlZ9EF_vy0WM7DjHH aNrDGryHRg:1675046761150&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X &ved=2ahUKEwi0wri5o-78AhXak2oFHV0aDdcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1553&bih=757& dpr=1
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rammed-...mes-1427989394

Tonight I'm working up a design that will do just that (blend in to terrain)

Old 11-20-2023, 06:42 PM

424 posts, read 159,632 times
I'm not super familiar with the specific styles of architecture, but there are certainly many styles that have stuck out to me.

I am a big fan of Western European architectural styles throughout the Renaissance and Baroque era (don't know if 'Baroque' era is a meaningful distinction in architecture, but I mean the same era as in music history 1600 CE-1750 CE). One example is French chateau, just unbelievably gorgeous, can't get enough of it! Otherwise, Gothic cathedrals are also downright gorgeous. I also really like ancient Greek architecture!

Now, as for what you might find in a house, I am quite fond of the old colonial New England style and Cape Cod homes. Quite simple compared to everything I mentioned above, but they have a charm to them. Otherwise, the less simple Palladian style certainly is very appealing to me. As are old English cottages.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:56 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Mid century modern by a mile.

It’s not even close. Second would be the simple California ranch houses built in the 50s-60s.

For commercial buildings, I again adore mid century, both the straighter international style stuff and the googie ones. But here’s where I appreciate an Art Deco structure - it can be clean and austere elegance, or have a more decadent geometric theme. International style, at its best, is probably my favourite, though at its worst is an ugly box. Googie is fun on a small scale, say for a bank branch or a fast food joint.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:36 PM

977 posts, read 519,755 times
Adobe. When I first moved to New Mexico in the 80's I had never seen an adobe home. What a shock! They looked very organic (because they are), as if they had grown themselves right out of the earth. Amazing thermal properties, and who doesn't have some sand, clay and straw laying around? OK, maybe not in Alaska, but it's throughout North America.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:35 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
I don't really have just one, but for residential architecture, I really like Cape Cod, Saltbox, Arts & Crafts, and Shingle-style Cottage homes.

For civic architecture, I really like Richardson Romanesque.

P.S. Oops, looks like this thread was revived and I've answered twice... similar but not the same ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum