Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:58 PM

53 posts, read 60,195 times

Advertisements

We are planning to make a trip to Ann Arbour from Toronto area.

It's been recommended as a place to move.

Those of you who have moved from elsewhere, how do you find it?

Is there a community feel? Is it easy to meet people?

Are there any specific communities for families with younger elementary kids where families live?

I'm worried about the weather, I won't lie. I hate winter and it seems same there or worse.

What do you love about Ann Arbour and what you dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 04:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Are you thinking of buying a home? If so what is the upper end of your price range?

Quote:
Are there any specific communities for families with younger elementary kids where families live?
Not really. Most of the 18 elementary schools have kids who walk to school from their neighborhood.
Of my suggestions in the other thread Angell is least likely to fit that. But Thurston or Lawton do.

Quote:
I'm worried about the weather, I won't lie. I hate winter and it seems same there or worse.
Don't know what to say there. If you lived in Long Island and Toronto then you know what northern winters are. I don't think Ann Arbor is hugely different as far as that goes. Both Toronto and Ann Arbor are colder than Long Island because of the mitigating factor of the ocean on long Island.

Quote:
I've always felt the ease of meeting people is about you. If you are an outgoing extrovert it's easy. For an introvert not so much. I think most people I run in to are generally friendly in a low key kind of way. They will exchange pleasantries with you in the grocery store but you aren't getting invited to a party in the checkout line. As to a community feel I don't really know what that means. As a small to midsize city of 120,000 we are pretty self contained in that most anything you need to buy can be had within the city or an 8 minute drive outside the city. (think Townships). Does that equate to a community feel? I don't know

Quote:
The one thing I don't like is the rather extreme liberal leaning. I am a middle of the road moderate, my wife is a bit right leaning. This only gets frustrating with respect to local Government and the choices they make. It has nothing to do with my day to day life.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:26 PM

Thanks a lot!

Major concern is the weather. So sick of the cold!

Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Don't know what to say there. If you lived in Long Island and Toronto then you know what northern winters are. I don't think Ann Arbor is hugely different as far as that goes. Both Toronto and Ann Arbor are colder than Long Island because of the mitigating factor of the ocean on long Island.
Colder and gloomier and drier than Long Island. DTW gets a full foot less rain a year than Long Island Airport, but because of the ocean, DTw gets a foot more snow each year.

Toronto and Ann Arbor are almost identical climate. The average highs are within 2F, the average low is within 1F, and the records are almost the same. Ann Arbor gets 2" more rain a year but 2" less snow. If you can believe it though, Toronto is even gloomier than SE MI! Toronto gets a total of 400 hours less sunlight a year - it's sunny 55% of the time at DTW and only 44% of the time in Toronto.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:31 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margekr View Post
We are planning to make a trip to Ann Arbour from Toronto area.

It's been recommended as a place to move.

Those of you who have moved from elsewhere, how do you find it?

First, it's ANN ARBOR, not Ann Arbour. (My mom was English so she would spell it like you did! )

Housing has gotten insanely expensive in Ann Arbor itself, although given how expensive Toronto is, you may not even notice!

Are you Canadian or American? That will make a difference in terms of immigrating, of course.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2022, 05:27 PM

We have lived in the USA before and getting a working visa wasn't an issue bc of the high demand for workers in the sector my husband is in. He works for one of the known tech companies so they have taken care of the immigration paperwork etc.

And yes! Toronto is way more expensive than most places in the USA.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:28 PM

We will make a trip but having the cold winter may be the biggest issue as we have had enough of that here already. Exploring other places too. Thank you!

Old 01-08-2022, 04:30 AM

Out of curiosity what sort of winter weather would you be comfortable in?
What sort of summer heat and humidity are you comfortable with?

I've lived most of my life in Michigan. But I lived awhile in Phoenix Arizona.
For me I prefer Michigan winter to Arizona desert summer.
Right now its about 10 degrees F headed to maybe 31. I can dress for that and be warm outside.
In Phoenix in July it might be 85 at 6am headed to 112 F. I can't dress for that.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
First, it's ANN ARBOR, not Ann Arbour. (My mom was English so she would spell it like you did! )

Originally it was Annarbour . I'm not sure exactly when the u was dropped and it became two words.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:15 AM

Mild with preferably little to no snow. When we lived in Switzerland for 6 years (Geneva and Zurich) temperatures were usually 0-5 C and it was perfect.

Looking at NC as well as it think at least weather wise is a great fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor