Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 07:16 AM

6,004 posts, read 3,736,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if the acid reflux isn't caused by juice or soda.

https://www.palmyrasurgical.com/diet...with-heartburn
Juice, soda, alcohol, and caffeine are all hard on aging stomachs. Consuming these products on an empty stomach only makes it worse. If you're going to consume these products, do so in moderation and never on an empty stomach. Even "moderate" amounts may be too much for some stomachs to tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 02:08 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times
Had you thought about looking at liquers or cordials? They may be too sweet for your taste, but there are some dandys out there.
Another idea would be to stay in the "low proof" range of liquors, particularly bourbon since that is what I know the most about. Many of the "top shelf" bottles are pretty high in the alc. content, so something lower may help. A standard Maker's Mark, for instance

Old 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM

988 posts, read 533,402 times
How about a cheapie? I usually drink Bourbon, but there's a store nearby that has this "handmade" 80 proof Vodka for $9.95. It's in that giant bottle on the left. On the right is my 1 liter bottle of 86 proof Bourbon that costs $17.50.

Is it as good as the Bourbon? No, it doesn't really have a smell or taste at all, but if you're mixing it w/ something it should be fine. The Bourbon is sweet, so it's tastier if you're drinking it straight or w/ a little water.

Taste wise, I prefer this bottom shelf Evan Williams to the higher cost Bourbons. It's really smooth.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I like to have a couple of good drinks about once per week. For years I’ve always drank a good top shelf vodka. I’ll sip it with a chaser of a little juice or soda or something like that. However, it’s just starting to not sit well with me. It will irritate my stomach, after having a few drinks, I’ll get acid reflex, heartburn, etc. I’ve been told I should try switching to something else like maybe a dark liquor, a high quality bourbon, brandy etc. cost is not an obstacle.
Any recommendations for a high-quality liquor that’s easy on the old stomach? I like to drink it straight, maybe a chaser, but not into mixed drinks. Years ago I used to drink top shelf tequila, but that also started not sitting well with my stomach after years of drinking it.
I know this is kind of old, but today I was browsing vodka, because I need to buy some, and I noticed that there is corn vodka (Tito’s) and wheat vodka, and probably other kinds….like potato?

I wonder if OP has developed a wheat allergy, so could try a vodka made from something else.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:36 AM

6,004 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know this is kind of old, but today I was browsing vodka, because I need to buy some, and I noticed that there is corn vodka (Tito’s) and wheat vodka, and probably other kinds….like potato?

I wonder if OP has developed a wheat allergy, so could try a vodka made from something else.
Didn't know that. I thought that all vodka was made from potatoes. What's the difference between corn vodka and corn whiskey?

Old 03-14-2024, 11:27 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times
Generally corn based spirits have a slightly sweeter taste, though not sweet, if that makes sense.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:31 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Didn't know that. I thought that all vodka was made from potatoes. What's the difference between corn vodka and corn whiskey?

I had no idea either, but I’m about to find out if I can tell any difference. It seems like Tito’s has become the vodka of choice for our geezer friends.

Old Today, 03:20 PM

38 posts, read 47,579 times
Tito's is a very nice and smooth vodka I have it neat on occasion.But mostly a Famous Grouse drinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages