Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:23 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

I was in your shoes -- making memorial trips i-- n 2009 and later. I finally decided to move here.

It looks like the 100th anniversary of Route 66 is gearing up for 2026 so a few old tourist motels are being renovated and refurbished along Central Avenue. El Vado and Monterey are near Old Town. There are a few others either in the works or recently finished. The Parc Central Hotel will be 100 years old in 2026 -- it used to be the Santa Fe RR hospital long ago. Hotel Andaluz was one of the first Hilton Hotels, opened in 1939 (Conrad Hilton was from San Antonio NM, near Socorro).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 02:15 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
There is an active NM Route 66 Association. It consists of people interested in the history and businesses located along the old road. The state has pretty much left them out of the planning for the centennial, much like the city/county left them out of the planning and building of the Route 66 Visitor Center on far west side.

This is a discussion of the first state Rte 66 commission meeting, such as it was.

https://www.rt66nm.org/uploads/9/2/2...6centgroup.pdf

Old 03-18-2024, 04:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Glad you have good memories of your visits here. A memorial trip sounds like a great idea!

There is more than one flea market, but you probably mean the one at the State Fair (Expo New Mexico), which is open Saturdays and Sundays from 7am to 3 pm:

https://www.exponm.com/p/fleamarket

For places to stay, do you remember where you stayed before, or the general location?
Thank you.....we were married 25+ years, and I always considered myself to be blessed beyond measure.

Yes - the State Fair grounds is the one we went to.

Don't recall the name, but IIRC, it was just south of Old Town area.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:24 PM

Oh - and if y'all don't mind.....we used to go to the Flea Market north of Santa Fee on Flea Market Rd....which later moved a bit further north down the highway. We were there right after the move, and pickings were rather sparse - has it gotten any better (more like it was at the old location)?

Old 03-19-2024, 04:38 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I haven't been to the SF Flea Market in many years. You might ask in the Santa Fe forum.

South of Old Town ABQ, there's the Bottger Mansion, which is a B&B. Did you stay in a motel or something else?

Old 03-19-2024, 07:21 PM

It was definitely a motel. I might be in error of the location.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:18 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Good evening, folks....

Spent many a year wandering around the town w/my loving bride - we both loved the city, and it was always one of the highlights of our trip, even more so than Santa Fe, honestly. Unfortunately, she suffered a stroke in January of '22, and due to another health challenge February 2nd, she's now home on hospice. I had just bought her a '22 BL Aviator, maroon in color (she's a descendant of Charles Goodnight - yes, that Charles Goodnight. What's not commonly known is that he was also instrumental in the founding of Texas A&M, thus the car having such special meaning to her. It's essentially sat unused since she last rode in it during the late summer/early fall of '22. I kept the car against the hope she'd recover enough to make another trip, but that's been ruled out, so once God calls her home I'm selling the car, squaring things up around here, then making a memorial trip "with" her back out west to her beloved reservations and the people we've gotten to know through the years.
Having all that out of the way....there's a few places I want "us" to revisit (especially the Old Town Market), and I'm wondering if the Flea Market is still a good place to visit on a Saturday morning? Also - where would you suggest for a "safe" hotel/motel? I'm not one to want a 5 Star hotel - we usually try to find one that's locally owned and operated, with a decent cafe/restaurant nearby. I'll be in a Jeep Gladiator, so maneuvering is pretty easy.

Thanks!!!!
I am sorry to hear about your wife but your trip sounds like a lovely tribute to her. Since you like Old Town and nearby restaurants, I would suggest staying near Old Town. I concur with Sun Grins especially on El Vado and Monterey Motel on Central but also recommend the Best Western Plus Rio Grande at I40 and Rio Grande or one of the nicer nearby hotels (Hotel Chaco and Hotel Albuquerque). All of these are close to good restaurants and cafes and are relatively safe locations. However if staying at a motel where you are parked near your room, I would keep my car keys in a Faraday box or pouch.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your wife but your trip sounds like a lovely tribute to her. Since you like Old Town and nearby restaurants, I would suggest staying near Old Town. I concur with Sun Grins especially on El Vado and Monterey Motel on Central but also recommend the Best Western Plus Rio Grande at I40 and Rio Grande or one of the nicer nearby hotels (Hotel Chaco and Hotel Albuquerque). All of these are close to good restaurants and cafes and are relatively safe locations. However if staying at a motel where you are parked near your room, I would keep my car keys in a Faraday box or pouch.
Thank you for the kind words.....I was a lucky man for the 25 years of our marriage, and things are still pretty raw - but I think this will help the healing process....

Appreciate your input on hotels - and the suggestion on the Faraday box/pouch - hadn't even thought of that, but my Gladiator would be a prime target for them, so I've got one coming!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque