Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 01:18 PM

96 posts, read 93,991 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in thoughts about Clifton Park....I know off the bat there are negatives there for some - big box stores, suburban etc....but I have found a neighborhood there where the housing suits me and is walkable for shopping, entertainment, gym, etc. (not a typical walkable downtown neighborhood, more of a suburban area where the things I need are concentrated)

I am retired, middle aged and do not commute, no kids at home, so not worried about that.

If anyone has any general comments about living there, I would appreciate reading them. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 04:51 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Basically relatively newer, middle-upper middle class suburbia in southern Saratoga County. Hopefully others will chime in, but this can give you an idea about the community: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...oga-county-ny/

https://data.census.gov/profile/Clif...00US3609116353

Old 12-21-2023, 07:29 AM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here are some street views of the Clifton Park Center development: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8584...2i38?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8604...2i38?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8573...2i38?entry=ttu

Old 12-25-2023, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 1,771 times
I have lived in Clifton Park for about 25 years. It is a safe place to live with good neighborhoods. While there’s no real “nightlife” or diverse restaurant district, it is centrally located to albany, troy, Schenectady and Saratoga. As you noted, CP has created a great trail system which makes certain areas both walkable and bikeable. Feel free to ask specific questions.

Old 12-31-2023, 06:30 PM

143 posts, read 111,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBottomBlues View Post
I'm interested in thoughts about Clifton Park....I know off the bat there are negatives there for some - big box stores, suburban etc....but I have found a neighborhood there where the housing suits me and is walkable for shopping, entertainment, gym, etc. (not a typical walkable downtown neighborhood, more of a suburban area where the things I need are concentrated)

I am retired, middle aged and do not commute, no kids at home, so not worried about that.

If anyone has any general comments about living there, I would appreciate reading them. Thanks...
BBB-I'm thinking Clifton Park area is a good landing spot also. The only thing I don't like about the location is the fact that you would have to take either the Northway or Rt 9 to get to other areas south in the Capital Region. My son currently lives over in the Guilderland area and it feels so far way due to no bridge over the Mohawk river to the west. At certain times, the Northway is a real clusterf*ck.
The shopping is pretty good. One thing I've noticed-especially in Boscovs- is that there are a lot of older people and everyone seems very polite and friendly. Seems like a very safe area and I don't see much that is run-down. I like the Halfmoon area but admittedly have not been around the entire C P area. There seems to be endless apt complexes and condos/townhomes. Not quite as pricey as other areas in NYS either.
I'm curious what/where the neighborhood is that you've found as I am retired and older also.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:31 AM

As you noted, CP has created a great trail system which makes certain areas both walkable and bikeable. Feel free to ask specific questions.

Is there a name for the trail system? Maybe I can also find something on the county website. I believe CP is in Saratoga county.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:35 AM

I'm curious what/where the neighborhood is that you've found as I am retired and older also

I've been looking at the area behind the Hannaford grocery store. There is a 55+ complex there as well as similar type housing (although all ages) and the YMCA is there and there's a Planet Fitness nearby.

It looks "suburban walkable" vs "urban walkable" - meaning close enough to walk - but not completely covered by side walks.

I have been told traffic can be a hassle...but my reference points - coming from major US cities - is not a good one. I think everywhere in NYS is a dream to drive in compared to NYC, DC, Orlando, etc. you name it lol.

Since I am retired, I can usually plan to travel against commuter traffic if I need to. Also, there's an Amtrak station relatively nearby (Schenectady) and of course, the airport.
Have you been in that area to look around?

Old 02-04-2024, 09:15 PM

143 posts, read 111,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBottomBlues View Post
I'm curious what/where the neighborhood is that you've found as I am retired and older also

I've been looking at the area behind the Hannaford grocery store. There is a 55+ complex there as well as similar type housing (although all ages) and the YMCA is there and there's a Planet Fitness nearby.

It looks "suburban walkable" vs "urban walkable" - meaning close enough to walk - but not completely covered by side walks.

I have been told traffic can be a hassle...but my reference points - coming from major US cities - is not a good one. I think everywhere in NYS is a dream to drive in compared to NYC, DC, Orlando, etc. you name it lol.

Since I am retired, I can usually plan to travel against commuter traffic if I need to. Also, there's an Amtrak station relatively nearby (Schenectady) and of course, the airport.
Have you been in that area to look around?
I know where the Hannaford is but have not looked around much in that area. Is the 55 + complex townhomes, condos, or apartments? I think there is a senior center around the area somewhere also.
Agree about the traffic, the Northway can be a nightmare especially around work commute times. Lots of decent shopping up in CP and also going south on Route 9 into Latham.
I have been exploring the other side of the capital region area such as Delmar, Glenmont, Slingerlands, New Scotland. The Albany County trail runs through these towns for the most part. Not as many living units as CP and maybe not too affordable but I really like the countryside and back roads to get around on. Sure would be nice to see prices/rents come down. I really don't want to live where I would have to deal with heavy and fast traffic all the time to get around especially with the aging factor.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:05 AM

4 posts, read 1,771 times
This gives some info on the different trails and neighborhood connectors. https://cliftonpark.org/index.php?op...layout=default

Old 02-09-2024, 09:06 AM

Thank you for the trail map references link - appreciated.

It's something of a conundrum for me.....I don't want to deal with heavy traffic either, but I want to be close enough to urban/suburban transportation options - another way of saying I don't want to always drive - or if I have a medical appointment, I may not want to drive...but as I said, I am coming from 30+ years of major US cities, so the Albany area - or all of upstate, for that matter, doesnt phase me at all.

I was looking at condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area