Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 03:03 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times

Advertisements

I realize early May is limited regarding businesses. Regardless our window if we come is May 2-7 2024.

We just enjoy the drive most of all and exploring towns. We would fly in and out of Anchorage.

Ideally, we would just drive and explore. We wouldn't spend a lot on tours so that's OK. Maybe a glacier tour/boat ride if possible.

Would towns have a decent restaurant selection and hotel accommodations this early?

Again we just enjoy road tripping and stopping wherever we wish.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 05:04 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Well, the good part about coming in May is that the weather is good and it's not tourist season prices for hotels and rental cars yet.

I like staying at Sheep Mountain Lodge on the Glenn Hwy, which is a beautiful drive from Anchorage. They have nice clean, comfortable cabins, the restaurant is great, the people are fantastic, and there are plenty cool things to do, whether you want to spend some money and go on helicopter rides, ski, ride 4-wheelers, or just use it as a home base to drive around, go on the Matanuska Glacier hike, whatever. It looks like they also offer deep tissue massage now. I always meet interesting people when I stay there.

I stay in the guest rooms with the shared bath houses, but they have fancy cabins, too.

https://sheepmountain.com/

Old 02-17-2024, 08:24 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times
Default Info

Sounds nice. Are there other towns that we'd be able to see say 2 days our from Anchorage before we had to double back?

Old 02-18-2024, 08:45 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
Sounds nice. Are there other towns that we'd be able to see say 2 days our from Anchorage before we had to double back?
I'd suggest spending your entire time on the Kenai Peninsula. Seward and Homer are the main attractions.

The most scenic part IMO is between Anchorage and Seward. Out of Seward harbor you could do a whale or glacier boat tour. The 700 sq. mile Harding Icefield lies near/above the town, feeding several glaciers. This area is home to Kenai fjords national park.

From Homer you could do a boat dinner tour across Kachemak bay to the quaint little waterfront village of Halibut Cove.
Or, what I would do next time, is utilize a water taxi as a drop off for a glacier viewing hike. The huge glacier here has the unusual name of Grewingk.
This area is home to Kachemak bay state park.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:28 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I'd suggest spending your entire time on the Kenai Peninsula. Seward and Homer are the main attractions.

The most scenic part IMO is between Anchorage and Seward. Out of Seward harbor you could do a whale or glacier boat tour. The 700 sq. mile Harding Icefield lies near/above the town, feeding several glaciers. This area is home to Kenai fjords national park.

From Homer you could do a boat dinner tour across Kachemak bay to the quaint little waterfront village of Halibut Cove.
Or, what I would do next time, is utilize a water taxi as a drop off for a glacier viewing hike. The huge glacier here has the unusual name of Grewingk.
This area is home to Kachemak bay state park.
This.

Get a current copy of The Milepost. It's crammed with useful and interesting information for AK road trippers.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-mi...ition=66792837

You could also drive the Richardson Hwy to Valdez. Hiking trails, history, museums and of course, scenery! Take a day excursion boat tour farther into Prince William Sound. Marine wildlife and tidewater glaciers including the notorious Columbia Glacier.

As you head south from Anchorage to the KP you'll pass Girdwood and Portage. You could detour and drive or take a train to visit the odd little burg of Whittier and take a boat tour out of there too. The train used to be the only way to get there via land. You'd drive your car up onto a flatbed rail car and be carried through tunnels to reach the port.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-...cier-discovery

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-18-2024 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2024, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,714 times
Homer is about 4-4.5 hours south of Anchorage at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula and a really fun town to wander - lots of shops, galleries, and restaurants. It's the launch point for some of the most famous halibut fishing! Seward is also fun, and on the opposite side of the peninsula from Homer, by car. You can stop at Exit Glacier there, take a cruise to see the whales and glaciers, and even see some Iditarod dogs at the Seavey's kennel. The Kenai Peninsula is called "Alaska's Playground" for a reason - there is plenty to do and see!

There may or may not still be a bit of snow on the ground in early May, but I always recommend people stop at Alyeska in Girdwood, about 45 min south of Anchorage (on the way to the Kenai Peninsula). It's a ski resort and they run their tram/gondola in the summer - the views from the top of the mountain are phenomenal. The whole drive down the peninsula is amazing, really.

I'm happy to help if you have any questions- I love talking to people about our beautiful state! It's early season, but if you'd like to come to Kasilof (just outside of Soldotna and on the way to Homer) we do shoulder season rentals in our largest room, which has a kitchen and a living room area. [url]www.crookedcreekretreat.com[/url]

Hope some of this info helps! Enjoy your trip!

Old 03-09-2024, 12:51 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Talkeetna and if the weathers nice a great view of the mountain. Rainbows will be hot about that time was well if you like to fish.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:45 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
In addition to the advice you get there, I'd also suggest some research on the TripAdvisor Forum for Alaska travel: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska