Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:20 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times

Advertisements

Someone told me recently that there would be a personal use king crab fisheries opening here in JNU area soon, but I haven't seen any official notifications about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 11:29 AM

573 posts, read 260,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Article in today's WaPo that the crab harvest has collapsed. People in Alaska probably already know that, but it was startling to read the article.

Excerpt: "Scientists, despite earlier optimistic signs, found that snow crab stocks were down 90 percent. The season opened and the total allowable harvest went from 45 million pounds to 5.5 million pounds. Commercial fishers couldn’t even catch that quantity. In October 2021, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game closed the king crab season entirely to harvesting, for the first time since the 1990s."

This site seems to be an open source for the same article.
Why...what's going on with the Water in Alaska ?
Horrible news... i love Crab Legs~!

Old 08-21-2022, 11:42 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Why...what's going on with the Water in Alaska ?
Horrible news... i love Crab Legs~!

Current theories point to an overly warm Bering Sea. That can impact invertebrate populations (and how accessible they end up being to crabbers) in multiple ways. And why would the Bering Sea be warming? Take a wild guess...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021...ng-bering-sea/

Old 08-21-2022, 03:45 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Current theories point to an overly warm Bering Sea. That can impact invertebrate populations (and how accessible they end up being to crabbers) in multiple ways. And why would the Bering Sea be warming? Take a wild guess...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021...ng-bering-sea/
My wild guess: because most of the world, particularly China, India, Russia (bombs, missiles, burning military equipment), aren't doing anything about climate change, and is relying on America taxpayers to save the world??

Old 08-21-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Dungeness crab ain't nothing to sneeze at. It's not king crab, but it's still good eating.
From $20 to $34 is "ONLY" a 70% increase. No worries, because our beloved president told us about 8 MONTHS ago that this horrible inflation is just transitory and not to worry. PLUS, we now have his beloved Build Back Better (retitled, Inflation Reduction Act to fight inflation!) Hang in there, America, building back better takes time!! And if you make less than $400,000 per year, like me, he and Senator Manchin have sworn that you will absolutely NOT see your taxes increased, at all! WHEW!! I'm thankful for that!

Old 08-21-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I agree, it's good or I would not have bought it. But red king crab is better.

I was in Safeway the other day and king crab legs and claws were $54 a pound! This is getting stupid. Who pays that?
Stupid people? Russian oligarchs and their wives/girlfriends/mistresses?

Old 08-21-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Ah.

It sounds like hell on earth. Back in the 70s there were a bunch of kids from around here went up for the season to make some good money.

Guess it was pretty grueling.

But do I ever love to sit down to some King crab. It's a feast for us.

I suppose some company will just have to start making it in a lab.

This reminds me of when the first people came to New England there was so much lobster that they used it to feed prisoners. And the prisoners complained about the bad treatment.

Times change.
Not much has changed---prisoners STILL complain about the food and bad treatment!!

Old 08-21-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Someone told me recently that there would be a personal use king crab fisheries opening here in JNU area soon, but I haven't seen any official notifications about it.
What's a personal use king crab fishery?

Old 08-21-2022, 05:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
what about snow crab,at one time they cant even give them away?Once I drove by an all you can eat cheap buffet and they have plenty of those crab legs and now you pay $13.99/lb when on sale?

Old 08-21-2022, 05:55 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
what about snow crab,at one time they cant even give them away?Once I drove by an all you can eat cheap buffet and they have plenty of those crab legs and now you pay $13.99/lb when on sale?
If you bothered to read my link it was about snow crab. Their harvest limits have been slashed too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska