Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times

Advertisements

Alaska state troopers are currently searching for a 31-year-old man who set out alone on the last leg of a three-month trip into the Alaska wilderness and has not been heard from in almost two months.

When Thomas Seibold of Three Rivers, Wis., journeyed to Alaska in June he planned to put years of survivalist training into practice in the state's frigid backcountry. A native of Germany, Seibold had spent the previous six years teaching and training at Three Rivers' Teaching Drum Outdoor School, a survivalist school that teaches American Indian values along with weather forecasting, shelter building and primitive hunting and gathering techniques. He spent much of his time under the tutelage of the school's founder, Tamarack Song, who described Seibold as a very experienced outdoorsman and a "wandering spirit."

Wisconsin Man Still Missing After Two Months in Alaska Wilderness - ABC News

Maybe he doesn't want to be heard from or maybe he's in the belly of a bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Since he has been missing now for two months, it is unlikely that he will be walking out. They most likely are not going to find him before next Spring, if even then. Even the most experienced can find themselves in serious trouble. It only takes one mistake, or an accident, or a wild critter, or unexpected foul weather to ruin anyone's day. Hiking around Alaska is nothing like hiking around the lower-48. It is far more dangerous.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
Yes, I had noticed this news as well. Tough country he is in.

I don't want to sound negative, but the website for the survival school he is in seems to teach a oneness with the earth type of philosophy. That is all well and good, but Alaska Indigenous peoples also learned that nature is not forgiving at all. You only get one chance, one mistake and it's all over. Especially when it comes to the cold.

Hypothermia does not forgive. I'm not sure but it seems like it is one of the biggest killers here. Fall through the ice and lose your gear you better make a fire pronto or you will only last a short time.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Not that it matters all that much I suppose, but just for accuracy purposes the guy is from Three Lakes, WI. There is no Three Rivers in WI. There is a Two Rivers like in AK.

Seems you can't read any articles on the internets w/o finding at least one glaring error.

I think you're right Glitch, the survivalist is probably history.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
Made me think of that movie "the grey".
I emagine lakes and rivers are starting to freeze up right about now
My dream of going there is about burned out now , but the fantasy of planning the trip will live on and on.
Please enjoy it some for me will you.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Goes to show you that no matter how much survival skills you have, something can still happen that is your demise (assuming he is dead). All it takes is a wrong step and you can break a leg or ankle and maybe not be able to get out. There are sooo many things that can happen out there, but it is sad this has happened.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Made me think of that movie "the grey".
I emagine lakes and rivers are starting to freeze up right about now
My dream of going there is about burned out now , but the fantasy of planning the trip will live on and on.
Please enjoy it some for me will you.
Lakes have been frozen for a while now in the interior of Alaska. In the nearby ponds, ice carvers are already cutting large blocks of ice and loading them on trucks.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Goes to show you that no matter how much survival skills you have, something can still happen that is your demise (assuming he is dead). All it takes is a wrong step and you can break a leg or ankle and maybe not be able to get out. There are sooo many things that can happen out there, but it is sad this has happened.
Survival skills rely on common sense first. Then you need to know about the area you are in. Drop most of us in Alaska off in the wild here and we can do pretty well, drop us off in the swamps of the deep south and we would be out of our element unless they had lived there.

You bring a survivalist from Florida to here, and they are out of their comfort zone like being on the moon.

I have no idea of what this guy's level of survival training is, but one bear encounter, drinking water from a beaver pond, tripping down a steep embankment, pissing off a mother moose with calf and an wide assortment of other issues could nail any of us by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like someone running a stop sign and catching you broadside, not fun nor something to plan for either.

I hope this guy is holed up in a cabin somewhere and is OK, maybe just waiting for the owner to show up and rescue him... hard to say. But odds are his adventure isn't going to end well, more about him will be known as time goes on. He may be a pretty straight shooter or another McCandless who bit off more than he could chew, or even a copy cat with a diary to sell post mortam...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
Yea that's the thing about here. There are so many things that can eat you or stomp you etc. It doesn't matter if you are an arctic expert even, things happen. I also read that the area he disappeared into was full of wolves.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yea that's the thing about here. There are so many things that can eat you or stomp you etc. It doesn't matter if you are an arctic expert even, things happen. I also read that the area he disappeared into was full of wolves.
Or maybe "Full Wolves"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska