Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2023, 04:51 PM

444 posts, read 901,714 times

Advertisements

I'm driving from Jacksonville, FL to Montgomery, AL on Friday. Is it better to go through Lake City and up through Dothan on US 231 or up I-75 to Tifton, GA to US 82 into Montgomery? Google maps shows the driving time and distance to be about equal. Does it make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 05:17 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,104,322 times
US 82 from Tifton. Reasons?

I-10 east should be named the Jean Paul Sartre Memorial Highway, because of the sheer ennui and hopelessness that consume you mile after featureless mile. The only thing to break up the tedium of your drive will be billboards that flog Panama City t-shirt shops and rebukes from religious zealots for your innate sinfulness.

And God help you if you drive that freeway westward in the late afternoon. You'll be facing directly into the setting sun. Blinded as your retinas are seared away, you'll likely swerve into a ditch at some point and accept gratefully the sweet release of death.

Then if, by some miracle, you make it to US 231, steel yourself for a zillion out-of-sync traffic lights all the way to Montgomery. You'll thread the needle through communities whose revenue comes almost entirely from traffic tickets, scribbled out by police officers from whom the words 'asset forfeiture' roll off the tongue with almost erotic fervor. You will grow to hate humanity.

In other words, it is the route of despair. The only thing missing are IEDs exploding along the way. Yes, the time is the same according to Google maps, but all things are relative. After all, a nice long roll in the hay with a beautiful woman and a root canal might take the same amount of time, but which one would feel longer to you?

Meanwhile, US 82 has a handful of traffic lights leaving Tifton and going around Albany, but most of the way it's scenic backwoods Georgia with relatively few stops. Plus you have the bonus of driving through Eufala, a beautiful little town. Highly recommended.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 12-13-2023 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 07:43 PM

23,660 posts, read 70,702,206 times
Nicely worded! However, be prepared for wall-to-wall 18 wheelers on 75 or any major N/S route in GA.
It takes a lot of trucks to ship all those bagels to south Florida.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Nicely worded! However, be prepared for wall-to-wall 18 wheelers on 75 or any major N/S route in GA.
It takes a lot of trucks to ship all those bagels to south Florida.

It's typically not bad until you get to Macon.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:39 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
The Georgia route will be a bit more scenic and pleasant. 82 from Eufaula to Montgomery is a very pretty drive, but slow as it's mostly 2-lane the whole way.

I enjoyed MinivanDriver's post, but having driven up 231 from Tallahassee to Montgomery many times, it's really not bad at all, if a bit boring. The highway bypasses most of the towns once you get past Dothan, so it's actually pretty quick with very few lights.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:00 PM

444 posts, read 901,714 times
Thanks,everyone. I think MinivanDriver has convinced me to take the Georgia route. I like scenic and pleasant better than boring. I'm glad I came here to ask .

Old 12-14-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Georgia route will be a bit more scenic and pleasant. 82 from Eufaula to Montgomery is a very pretty drive, but slow as it's mostly 2-lane the whole way.

I enjoyed MinivanDriver's post, but having driven up 231 from Tallahassee to Montgomery many times, it's really not bad at all, if a bit boring. The highway bypasses most of the towns once you get past Dothan, so it's actually pretty quick with very few lights.

Dothan alone is misery. Then you have Brundidge, Ozark, and Troy. Yeesh.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Dothan alone is misery. Then you have Brundidge, Ozark, and Troy. Yeesh.
231 bypasses Brundidge and Ozark; but yeah Troy has grown a lot. I couldn't believe all the new development when I was there this past spring.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:18 AM

878 posts, read 1,026,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
US 82 from Tifton. Reasons?

I-10 east should be named the Jean Paul Sartre Memorial Highway, because of the sheer ennui and hopelessness that consume you mile after featureless mile. The only thing to break up the tedium of your drive will be billboards that flog Panama City t-shirt shops and rebukes from religious zealots for your innate sinfulness.

And God help you if you drive that freeway westward in the late afternoon. You'll be facing directly into the setting sun. Blinded as your retinas are seared away, you'll likely swerve into a ditch at some point and accept gratefully the sweet release of death.

Then if, by some miracle, you make it to US 231, steel yourself for a zillion out-of-sync traffic lights all the way to Montgomery. You'll thread the needle through communities whose revenue comes almost entirely from traffic tickets, scribbled out by police officers from whom the words 'asset forfeiture' roll off the tongue with almost erotic fervor. You will grow to hate humanity.

In other words, it is the route of despair. The only thing missing are IEDs exploding along the way. Yes, the time is the same according to Google maps, but all things are relative. After all, a nice long roll in the hay with a beautiful woman and a root canal might take the same amount of time, but which one would feel longer to you?

Meanwhile, US 82 has a handful of traffic lights leaving Tifton and going around Albany, but most of the way it's scenic backwoods Georgia with relatively few stops. Plus you have the bonus of driving through Eufala, a beautiful little town. Highly recommended.
I'm two months late in reading this, but since I can't give the author more reputation, I'll just say that this is the best assessment I've heard about driving on I-10 in my life. Bravo!

Old 05-04-2024, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 168 times
Consider taking Interstate 10 West from Jacksonville to Interstate 65 North towards Montgomery for the most direct route by road. BUY NOW!!!! [url=https://trendsfort.com/product-category/stars-celebrity-jackets/]Celebrity Jackets[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama