Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 02:35 PM

32 posts, read 25,282 times

Advertisements

I've worked with electronics, robotics, automation and programming my whole life and AI scares the crap out of me.
Systems fail or make bad decisions based on what they are taught and what data they are given to use good or bad.
The more complicated a system is the more likely you are to have issues or bugs.

And how can we trust the humans programming them and choosing what data to give AI to learn from.
There is so much corruption and mis-truth and hidden agendas in everything today from laws to basic news.

Ex: Will AI opinion be based on science or political agenda?
What will AI believe about religion, church, marriage, political beliefs, abortion, # of genders etc.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 05-04-2023 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 03:37 PM

9,155 posts, read 4,827,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the computer gets too aggressive, you always have the option of pulling the plug. That AI needs a power source or it doesn't function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You would have to turn it ALL off... and keep it off.
And the real problem is that these don't operate in a vacuum. They are tools, and the enemy is building them too. We shut them off, we become their slaves. We let the machines go, and we don't know where they will take us.

But, that is still years down the road. Maybe decades.

Right now, they are a very fast, trainable, assistant.
An expert system.
A tool in the hands of someone who has power.
And power corrupts.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I've worked with electronics, robotics, automation and programming my whole life and AI scares the crap out of me.
Systems fail or make bad decisions based on what they are taught and what data they are given to use good or bad.
The more complicated a system is the more likely you are to have issues or bugs.

And how can we trust the humans programming them and choosing what data to give AI to learn from.
There is so much corruption and mis-truth and hidden agendas in everything today from laws to basic news.

Ex: Will AI opinion be based on science or political agenda?
What will AI believe about religion, church, marriage, political beliefs, abortion, # of genders etc.
More importantly: what does an easter egg look like, in an AI engine?

Old 05-04-2023, 06:17 PM

30,379 posts, read 11,990,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Interesting article popped up on the AP a bit ago regarding AI. Geoffrey Hinton, considered the godfather of AI, left his position with Google so he could speak freely about the potential dangers of AI.

It's not a long article but one of importance and something everyone should read. AI isn't all good and one statement in the article is of great concern to me.

https://apnews.com/article/ai-godfat...7560f6fcbad0ad
Not much we can do about it. Its like nuclear weapons. Even if every missile was destroyed the knowledge of how to make one still exists so more will appear eventually.

AI exists and will only get smarter and more powerful. Eventually we will be powerless to stop it. Being off the grid and off the beaten path might be the best way to survive it for a while. But I can't see how this ends well.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:06 PM

7,690 posts, read 4,671,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
AI learns what it is trained to learn. We can teach AI to be empathetic. There is no insurmountable technical barrier to that.

I don't think AI is a threat because it would require different resources than us. We need organic matter for energy, AI could use nuclear energy and then we wouldn't compete. AI also needs cooling of the computers hosting it. That's why I think Antarctica will be home base for future AI - free cooling and no competition with humans.
Exactly, it's the input control that's important. Besides, once you build one....I would imagine this can be spread for competition just as websites did. We'll each be optimizing our own at some point. Even now you tell it the barriers to you want it to act upon. Learning to do that better is going to be key. Those barriers will at some point also be written by AI, but you can tell your AI which items to include/ignore/use/don't use.

In a way, it could be like the invention of a book. It can spread dangerous information, but it can also be quite useful and self correcting....and auditable. It really could usher in a new dawn of scientific research as a million computers could then to look to see each idea and how it can be integrated into a particular project being worked on.

We just need our Congress Critters to catch up a bit and set down the pathway that all will need to follow.

If you think about it, AI may be the very way to actually become self sufficient. All of those gaps in each of our plans....we'll now have a consultant that can help us on either the plan, record, monitor or execution of things.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:08 AM

14,986 posts, read 9,915,298 times
AI doesn't need humans or input to learn. AI is not like a computer, AI can think independently of human control or input. Certainly AI needs information to develop it's intellect, but 'it' can learn on it's own.

AI is not a computer.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
AI doesn't need humans or input to learn. AI is not like a computer, AI can think independently of human control or input. Certainly AI needs information to develop it's intellect, but 'it' can learn on it's own.

AI is not a computer.
That is true for real AI.
We don't have that on any appreciable scale.
Yet. (See post #26)

Old 05-05-2023, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 25,282 times
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/...-intelligence/

Kamala Harris Named ‘AI Czar’ to Save Us from Artificial Intelligence

Don't worry, word salad Harris will keep us all safe.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/...-intelligence/

Kamala Harris Named ‘AI Czar’ to Save Us from Artificial Intelligence

Don't worry, word salad Harris will keep us all safe.
Actually, considering the track record of this Administration, where everything they do has the exact opposite effect of what they claim their objective is, the official announcement is scarier than the hype.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news...ts-and-safety/
Quote:
MAY 04, 2023
FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Announces New Actions to Promote Responsible AI Innovation that Protects Americans’ Rights and Safety

Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is announcing new actions that will further promote responsible American innovation in artificial intelligence (AI) and protect people’s rights and safety. These steps build on the Administration’s strong record of leadership to ensure technology improves the lives of the American people, and break new ground in the federal government’s ongoing effort to advance a cohesive and comprehensive approach to AI-related risks and opportunities.
So, I guess we can now expect this Administration to promote AI that seeks to destroy American Rights and Safety.

Look, again, at posts #2 and#7.

Her incompetence may be our only hope.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:40 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,250,406 times
If it is anything like Rosie from the Jetsons then I see no threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI