Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Here's a fresh one, just caught!

Gotta admit I'd find another way to handle it; I'd rephrase.
noes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My peeve is improper use of apostrophes with digits. An apostrophe indicates possessive or an omission.

Example: "I'm more experienced now than I was in my 20s."

Many would use "20's," yet there is no omission or possession.

I hope I won't get Strunked to death!

My "Success With Words" book indicates that either way is acceptable, although the form without the apostrophe is probably used more frequently nowadays. [This book was published in 1983.] It also mentions that whichever style you choose, be consistent.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My "Success With Words" book indicates that either way is acceptable, although the form without the apostrophe is probably used more frequently nowadays. [This book was published in 1983.] It also mentions that whichever style you choose, be consistent.
It seems there are a lot of things that have become "legally" acceptable, even though they are grammatically incorrect, merely because making the mistakes is so common. It's like the rules-makers just gave up. Such is also true with new "words" that really aren't words.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Why do people insist on forming plurals with apostrophe's?

Sorry, I couldn't resist it!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Use of an apostrophe forms a possessive, not a plural. Doing so seems to have been a trend the past few years. Why? Is it taught that way now?
Why do people insist on forming plurals with an apostrophe?

I have absolutely no idea but I definitely think your soulmate is live, here at city-data. Could it be kismet?

Just sayin'

Their post: Using an Apostrophe to Pluralize a Word...Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Am I the only one who is driven crazy by otherwise educated people doing this on a regular basis? I just don't get it, it is basic English grammar that we should have learned in elementary school!

I cringe when I get emails from my manager at work, and she does this consistently in all of her emails, not to mention not being able to differentiate between "affect" and "effect". Here is a sample sentence from one of her group emails: "Professional nurse's should not be calling off this often, it effects everyone, not just you." This from a woman with a four year college degree!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed here before, I rarely visit this forum, but it just drives me crazy. I also see it consistently in news stories on the local news stations' websites, e.g. "Fifteen resident's had to be evacuated..."

I am beginning to wonder if this is so widespread that someone just changed the rules of pluralization and didn't tell anyone.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,525 times
This is what I learned. Apostrophes are used to show possession ( after the S) and to make a contraction (I am = I'm, it is = it's, is not = isn't,etc..).
Grammar Girl is an excellent online reference. People aren't taught correct grammar anymore,and people rely way too heavily on spell-check which does not make concessions for homographs ( same spelling different meaning), and by the way, it's not okay to start a sentence with a conjunction. Don't listen to pseudo-intellectuals. Starting a sentence with a conjunction is a weak tool for a lazy mind.

Class dismissed.

Last edited by AleeGee; 08-10-2018 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 07:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
This is what I learned. Apostrophes are used to show possession ( after the S) and to make a contraction (I am = I'm, it is = it's, is not = isn't,etc..).
Grammar Girl is an excellent online reference. People aren't taught correct grammar anymore,and people rely way too heavily on spell-check which does not make concessions for homographs ( same spelling different meaning), and by the way, it's not okay to start a sentence with a conjunction. Don't listen to pseudo-intellectuals. Starting a sentence with a conjunction is a weak tool for a lazy mind.

Class dismissed.
Bring back School House Rock - Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar - Conjunction Junction Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc

Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post
lol

I'm going to start doing this!
I'm serious! Some of the worst offenders, and not just with apostrophes, are the people who make the handwritten signs in the produce department at the supermarket. I whip it out and fix the signs right there and I don't care who sees me. I just turned sixty, and I am taking my rightful place as weird-old-lady-in-training.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
They need to be tied to a chair and subjected to:

Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Use of an apostrophe forms a possessive, not a plural. Doing so seems to have been a trend the past few years. Why? Is it taught that way now?
Perhaps they're confused by the grocer's apostrophe.

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...strophization/

Or perhaps they're confused by those limited instances in which apostrophes are used to form plurals.

Most likely, people have always used apostrophes rather haphazardly, and it has only become more noticeable in the age of social media when we see the casual writing of people on an everyday basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing