Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:30 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

^^ You're right. For some reason, the awkward sentence structure threw me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
It's archaic, toss it over the side.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
I read this today in the newspaper; it seems like a very awkward sentence:

The rhetoric around immigration draws attention to those whom some people, with seemingly more audacity than before, judge as not belonging.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Even worse is the "dying out" of the subjunctive mood. Sad.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
I don't tie myself into yoga knots over informal communication. I would, however, expect those composing formal messages to get it right.

BTW, when I phone people, I say It's me!

So sue me.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am no expert on grammar but I still use "whom" rather than who when the objective form is called for. I notice that the use of 'whom' seems to be dying out, even among professional communicators. I notice that in a lot of advertising, for example, 'who' is always used. It doesn't really bother me. Years ago I recall William F. Buckley saying that he accepted the use of 'who' as objective (but not 'whom' when the subjective was required).

The other day there was a controversy about some high school students chanting "USA, USA" at a basketball game and the school district superintendent, Dr. Kevin Brown sent out a letter to parents about it:
Alamo Heights ISD letter to parents about Edison-Alamo Heights game incident | kens5.com San Antonio

From the letter:

I was surprised that even a professional educator declines to use 'whom.' In fact the only people I know of who still seem to use it are print journalists, and I like that they do. I once got a chance to ask 'Grammar Girl' Mignon Fogarty (whom I like(haha)) about this. She said that she still greatly preferred that 'whom' be used where appropriate, and did not seem at all pleased that it is dying out.

Grammar Girl :: Quick and Dirty Tips â„¢

So what is your opinion about the use of 'whom?' Do you use it? If so do you look down upon those who don't. If not, how do you feel about those who do? Does it come off as snobby?

Use whom only in the objective case, and, when it doubt, just use "who."

For example,

To whom would you like to speak?
For whom is this message?
You are the child of whom?

I think the quoted example doesn't hold because it's part of the phrase "who they are." No one says "whom they are," do they?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,134 times
I still use whom, when it is called for, as it is second nature to me. Language is constantly evolving, but no publisher has thrown whom out the window yet. (Mine certainly hasn’t!)

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
....So what is your opinion about the use of 'whom?' Do you use it? If so do you look down upon those who don't. If not, how do you feel about those who do? Does it come off as snobby?
I use it, but as someone else has remarked I am more aware of my use when I write. I do use it when I speak - that is how I was taught, it's a habit - and a couple of people over the years have remarked on it as they felt it was "odd."

Someone mentioned the disappearance of the subjunctive. I was raised in a family where the original family language (and their parallel use of English) had no subjunctive. So, we always used the conditional as that was the inherited language pattern.

Now that I live in a country where there is a widely used subjunctive mood, and I find that it has inserted itself into my English usage.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:14 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
I never use "whom", and do not expect it of others.
Shucks, I don't even know what a "subjunctive mood" is. It sounds vaguely obscene.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Who is singular. Whom is plural. Substitute them worm "them" or "they".

Give it to whomever wants it.
If THEY want it, give it to them.

To whom it may concern
This is to everybody (i.e. "them")

It does not matter to whom it is given...
Give it to somebody (in the group, one of THEM).

Versus...

Who did this?
Which one is responsible?

We will punish whoever did this.
One person is guilty!

A subtle difference but an important one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing