Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,256 times

Advertisements

My husband has already done a full winter in Williston a couple years ago, but this time we are all actually moving there for a while. We have 2 elementary age children and just learned that we have another child on the way. What can we expect in the way of summer weather, the people, family activities, crime rate etc? Can someone please help? I'm nervous and excited all at the same time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
I Moved up here from Austin about 6 years ago.

Yes, the climate took time to adjust to. I am on the opposite side of ND over closer to Fargo than Williston and being well into my 70's I am not much interested in social type activities.

But overall except for climate I do not find much difference from Texas. I have lived several places in Texas, Austin, Waskom, McAllen, Victoria

The only thing I miss is the Gulf of Mexico and fresh sea food.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,568 times
keller14...yes, the weather is the extreme of Texas in the winter, but you will enjoy the warm dry summer vs. the hot humid Texas weather. Your kids will enjoy Spring Lake Park. A park with 2 lakes. One lake is filled with fish for the kids to fish in and the other is a swimming area and lots of ducks. The park also has walking and biking paths. Williston also has a beautiful Rec Center. It is covers about 250,000 sq. ft. of indoor fun and recreation. It has indoor walking tracks, full size Olympic competition pool, lap pool, training pool, kiddie pool, lazy river, water park and even a "flo rider" if you want to try some water surfing. The Rec Center also has a childrens indoor playground and child care that you can leave your kids at while you work out, etc... at the Center. There are 2 convenient local golf courses in town along with numerous parks that have been recently updated with new playground equipment. Shopping is limited, but getting better and the promise of some new stores coming on line in the near future. Good school system. The main thing is you will be joining your husband. If you are together as a family, you will endure anything the North Dakota cold throws at you. Welcome to Williston!

Old 07-10-2021, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 21,010 times
This is an old post yet it sounds wonderful. I hope all you describe is still there.
We are fed up with hot, moist steambaths that are the Houston area and can do very well without the filthy Galveston Bay to swim in, wouldn't eat fish from on a bet, and weary of the cheap tourist trap the island has become. We've seen everything Houston and surrounding areas has to offer.

We welcome a different climate and can adjust easily. Just imagining sitting on grass again without the fear of fire ants. Imagining never again fearing hurricanes. Whatever ND has we'll learn to deal with; tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes? Just the idea of moving to Williston has us giddy as schoolgirls, for we are leaving behind too many sad memories and need a change.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:12 PM

205 posts, read 156,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soquilii View Post
This is an old post yet it sounds wonderful. I hope all you describe is still there.
We are fed up with hot, moist steambaths that are the Houston area and can do very well without the filthy Galveston Bay to swim in, wouldn't eat fish from on a bet, and weary of the cheap tourist trap the island has become. We've seen everything Houston and surrounding areas has to offer.

We welcome a different climate and can adjust easily. Just imagining sitting on grass again without the fear of fire ants. Imagining never again fearing hurricanes. Whatever ND has we'll learn to deal with; tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes? Just the idea of moving to Williston has us giddy as schoolgirls, for we are leaving behind too many sad memories and need a change.
Never thought somebody would move to North Dakota!?!? but that's great if it makes you happy! . Just keep in mind that there are quite a few 90 degree days, even 100 degree days. Bismarck hit 106 this June so far into the summer. However, this quickly dies off once September comes. Then you won't remember summer till May, which even then can get severe cold fronts, killing off fruit tree blossoms.

North Dakota is a niche type of place, I wouldn't move there, but it's probably better than a hot, humid collection of suburbs with awful summers. I really don't get why Houston is the largest city in Texas, is it the oil refineries?. Dallas and Austin have tech hubs if I recall, and San Antonio is just.....don't know???

Old 07-12-2021, 12:17 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
Never thought somebody would move to North Dakota!?!? but that's great if it makes you happy! . Just keep in mind that there are quite a few 90 degree days, even 100 degree days. Bismarck hit 106 this June so far into the summer. However, this quickly dies off once September comes. Then you won't remember summer till May, which even then can get severe cold fronts, killing off fruit tree blossoms.

North Dakota is a niche type of place, I wouldn't move there, but it's probably better than a hot, humid collection of suburbs with awful summers. I really don't get why Houston is the largest city in Texas, is it the oil refineries?. Dallas and Austin have tech hubs if I recall, and San Antonio is just.....don't know???
I think the reason why Houston and other southern cities are thriving and are major population hubs is that most people hate cold northern winters more than hot summers. Ice, snow, and freezing rain makes getting around not only inconvenient but dangerous. Air conditioned homes and buildings as well as swimming pools make southern living more pleasant. Neverending gray leaden skies, snow, ice, and freezing rain make for unpleasant northern winters that most people hate. So people tend to flock to the South.

But North Dakota in the summer is just great. It may get hot but it is mostly dry and it tends to cool off nicely at night. Because of less industry and less people and populated places, the skies are clearer and the air is fresher. And the people are friendly too.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:10 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But North Dakota in the summer is just great. It may get hot but it is mostly dry and it tends to cool off nicely at night. Because of less industry and less people and populated places, the skies are clearer and the air is fresher. And the people are friendly too.
I can see how western North Dakota would be dry in the summer but what is the Red River Valley like as far as humidity (Fargo/Grand Forks)? I've only been there in the fall and it was lovely. Got to see a Bison homecoming and a North Dakota hockey game on that trip.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:34 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I can see how western North Dakota would be dry in the summer but what is the Red River Valley like as far as humidity (Fargo/Grand Forks)? I've only been there in the fall and it was lovely. Got to see a Bison homecoming and a North Dakota hockey game on that trip.
The Red River Valley is certainly more humid than western North Dakota, but not as humid as central Minnesota and points further east. You can gauge the rainfall and humidity (or lack thereof) by the number and species of trees that you see in each area.

In central North Dakota, for example, trees are not that prevalent and there is not much variety in the species. In Fargo, there are more trees and more variety. And in the Minneapolis area and areas further east, there is an awful lot of greenery and many species of trees and shrubs.

I have not been to western North Dakota yet but imagine it to be even drier and the topography is more rugged.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:58 AM

75 posts, read 162,314 times
Lived and worked in western North Dakota for 10 years and I love it.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:28 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,601,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Humidity there isn’t bad at all. No contest compared to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston