Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelad View Post
Any really terrible ones you have been to.
Why would you want to know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Attended a wedding at a small country church...the kind with the cemetary next door. no indoor plumbing! An outhouse! I made my boyfriend drive me back to town so that I could use the toilet. Oh...it was winter too! Good grief!
Mae

Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The "type" would be judgmental and think they are the only ones that are right. Family oriented until a family member is gay and good and caring when they tell you Anne Frank is in hell. But then I'm Catholic so they wouldn't like me either.

That is horrible no matter what. Yeah…my NY family would be that way. I'll stick with the farmers in TN

Old 02-21-2017, 02:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigirl7 View Post
I went to one wedding where the reception was held at a bar and none of the drinks were covered. Nothing, not even soda or tea. I think it's bad enough to have a cash bar for alcohol but to not even offer your guests some type of non-alcoholic drink is beyond cheap and tacky to me. There were water pitchers on the tables.

Also, the meal that was served was so tiny that everyone was hungry all night. There wasn't even enough cake for everyone.

It was obvious where the budget went because the church and bar were covered with very expensive looking flower arrangements and the bride's dress cost a fortune (over $5000 she told me.)

It wasn't a horrible wedding but it wasn't much fun either. I'm not a huge drinker but I do want to drink at a wedding and I don't think I should have to pay for it either. I want to eat too. I don't expect anything fancy but I shouldn't leave hungry. As a guest I don't give a darn about flowers.
It was not until I started to plan my wedding that it is somewhat taboo to have some sort of a cash bar at a wedding. Maybe it is a regional thing, but 95% of the wedding that I have attended, typically have a mix of cash bar with free pop, coffee, tea, 2 or 3 kegs of beer. Rarely have all the drinks been free.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
Every single one, to the point where I now ask, nay entreat, all my marriageable friends not to invite me to theirs if and when. I'd rather go bobbing for apples in a communal latrine at the Reading Festival than suffer through another wedding.

Unless it was like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NqLjPGRds

Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
One wedding I went to, was an outdoors wedding in March, in the Midwest. The bride and groom wore renaissance clothing.

On their wedding invitations they listed the gifts they'd like.

All the guests brought a dish, and we sat at picnic tables under a pavilion. It was extremely windy, and it was hard to eat because you literally had to keep a hand or elbow on the picnic table to keep the table cloth from blowing up.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Tallahasse, FL
July
No air conditioning in the bar for the reception
Wedding ceremony outside with lots of bugs, creepy crawlys and a couple alligators about 20 feet away just passing through.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Wow, there are some great stories here.

We went to an outdoor wedding a few years ago where it started to rain about 15 minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin. All the guests stood huddled in very tight quarters in the limited space that was either indoors or under an awning (the reception was indoors in a barn-type structure, but they apparently didn't want anyone in there yet). We stood almost shoulder-to-shoulder in this crowded mass of humanity for almost an hour. It was still raining lightly when they decided to go ahead with the ceremony anyways, so we all got to trudge through the wet grass and sit on chairs that were not completely dry.

Seriously folks, unless you live in an area with predictable, always mild/moderate weather, just don't do outdoors. (esp in the Midwest)

Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
[quote=IndyDancer;47697546]Wow, there are some great stories here.

We went to an outdoor wedding a few years ago where it started to rain about 15 minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin. All the guests stood huddled in very tight quarters in the limited space that was either indoors or under an awning (the reception was indoors in a barn-type structure, but they apparently didn't want anyone in there yet). We stood almost shoulder-to-shoulder in this crowded mass of humanity for almost an hour. It was still raining lightly when they decided to go ahead with the ceremony anyways, so we all got to trudge through the wet grass and sit on chairs that were not completely dry.

Seriously folks, unless you live in an area with predictable, always mild/moderate weather, just don't do outdoors. (esp in the Midwest)[/quote]

Or there is a backup plan where the ceremony/reception can be quickly moved indoors if necessary. I've been in a beautiful wedding in July in the NYC area where the ceremony was outdoors. The ceremony was beautiful with views of Hudson in the beautifully landscaped are of the reception hall. It did not rain but they had a room inside where the ceremony could be moved if necessary...

Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 PM

100 posts, read 61,572 times
I've been to a few clunkers. I've noticed any time a wedding has a theme it's usually terrible. It always seem more like a party about the theme than the wedding. I went to a second cousin's wedding. She and her husband called themselves "Emo" but they were really what I would call goth. They had a Halloween themed wedding complete with black wedding dress. It was just a wreck. My second cousin had a mental break down and health issues about seven or so years later. Many people were "shocked", but I thought "I knew something was wrong at the monster mash wedding". Honestly, I think they divorced, but my mom would know. As I don't don't keep in touch with those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings