Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 PM

318 posts, read 761,923 times

Advertisements

My wife and I might be moving to Montgomery County and I am curious on people's opinions on the schools, specifically the high schools. What are the best high schools in the county? Which should I avoid? Some of the places we looked at are zoned to Col. Zadok MaGruder High School. Anyone know anything about this school? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
The "W" school clusters (Wootton, Whitman, Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill) are historically the highest rated schools, primarily due to de facto segregation. They're almost exclusively upper middle class+ and the test scores reflect that.

That said, it's pretty hard to find bad schools in Montgomery County as they're all well-funded and offer whatever resources and coursework your kid(s) might need (special ed, magnet programs, AP classes, foreign languages, arts, after school activities, etc.). If your child has a specific skill or interest, definitely look into that a bit as the county offers a number of specialized IB and magnet programs. E.g. Blair HS for math and science, Wheaton HS for biomedical and engineering, etc.

I don't have personal experience with Magruder, but I don't notice any red flags from the data. It being under capacity is nice as a number of similarly well-rated schools in the county are at or above core capacity.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM

290 posts, read 633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
My wife and I might be moving to Montgomery County and I am curious on people's opinions on the schools, specifically the high schools. What are the best high schools in the county? Which should I avoid? Some of the places we looked at are zoned to Col. Zadok MaGruder High School. Anyone know anything about this school? Thanks.
You'll probably be okay with Magruder High School. Like the other poster mentioned the Montgomery County public schools are a bit top heavy (in addition to the "Ws" I'd also throw Bethesda/Chevy Chase High School and Richard Montgomery High School into the mix as well as top rated schools). However, other schools in the system are pretty strong when rated on a national scale. The DC area is filled with Type A, highly educated white collar professionals and they demand, and mostly get, superior public schools.

That said, if you're still in the "might" stage though and comparing different school systems, it would probably be wise to check out Arlington, City of Falls Church, Fairfax and Loudoun County schools as well. The Virginia side of the DC area has some of the most highly ranked schools in the country and though Montgomery County and Fairfax County are comparable in many ways, the Virginia side is a bit better ranked and more consistently excellent throughout their school systems. Northern Virginia has its equivalents of Montgomery County's "W's" (Langley, McLean, James Madison, Oakton, WT Woodson, George Marshall, Yorktown, Washington-Lee, George Mason High School on top of the famous magnet high school Thomas Jefferson) but there's not much drop off to other schools and many high schools in further out areas (Robinson, Lake Braddock, Westfield, Centreville, Chantilly) are pretty much on par. You'll also notice it's a longer list over a larger area and even many schools with just a SLIGHTLY more modest reputation (TC Williams, South Lakes, West Springfield, Fairfax, Herndon, Annandale for examples) still rank as some of the best high schools in the country.

Bottom line, you'll be fine, but maybe check out Northern Virginia as well if it's feasible for you.

Last edited by mikeyo321; 10-23-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
My daughters went to Quince Orchard HS It was a very good school. I'm pretty sure it still is good.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:41 PM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The houses cost more money in the best school districts.

There is almost a direct correlation.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The houses cost more money in the best school districts.

There is almost a direct correlation.

This is true but there are also many, many, many parents in those school districts who still spend tens of thousands of dollars every year for Landon, Prep, Stone Ridge, Holton, the Cathedral schools, etc. You can’t find an top independent school in the DC area for less than about $35,000/year/student. Some of the Archdiocese or Washington Catholic schools are less but they don’t really compare.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Bethesda/Chevy Chase, North Bethesda, Olney, anywhere West of I-270. Pretty much any of those should be good.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
This is true but there are also many, many, many parents in those school districts who still spend tens of thousands of dollars every year for Landon, Prep, Stone Ridge, Holton, the Cathedral schools, etc. You can’t find an top independent school in the DC area for less than about $35,000/year/student. Some of the Archdiocese or Washington Catholic schools are less but they don’t really compare.
I often wonder whether it's more economical to buy a house in an average school district and send your kids to private school, or buy the same house in an affluent area and send them to the public school.

Somebody must have done this calculation somewhere.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I often wonder whether it's more economical to buy a house in an average school district and send your kids to private school, or buy the same house in an affluent area and send them to the public school.

Somebody must have done this calculation somewhere.

For us it was the second choice. We couldn't afford a second year of private school.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 AM

103 posts, read 183,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
Didn't attend but I have a few friends from Redland/Rockville/Olney area who attended Magruder and turned out just fine (met a few at a good, reputable state university!). It's a small sample size but the folks I know do well for themselves and also are pretty reasonable, mindful citizens, and I don't get the impression that they were unique amongst their peers at Magruder. I'm much more familiar with Balt/Annapolis corridor and schools but I'll put it this way-if I were to move to Montgomery County, I would be comfortable sending my kid to school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland