Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 32,938 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for information - particularly accurate coordinates - for the old town of Brigham River, in Sevier County.

I have this info from another website:
Quote:
Brigham River was settled in 1863, by mormon pioneers from Richfield, in search of a suitable livestock grazing area and fertile ground. There was no post office in Brigham River, so the five families that lived there went to Richfield to recieve mail. In 1918, a telephone was erected in Brigham River, and the name was changed to Brodie Ridge. In 1921, a drought hit Brodie and the families moved back down to the Sevier Valley. In 1881, a stageline was put through Brigham River and Saloons, Bawdy Houses, and Gambling dens were soon the considered downtown Brigham (sic). Brigham is located twenty-eight miles north-west of Richfied in the Sanpete Range. The residents of Brigham River claimed that Butch Cassidy and his gang of robbers blew up the vault in the Miners Delight Saloon on First West. The Saloon district of Brodie Ridge still stands. A Bawdy House is still erected, and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any whores in the parlor, waiting for some nice old tourists.
I've seen a "mud map" that places it about 22 miles West of Salina and with the info above, that it is 28 miles NW of Richfield, you'd think I could find it but, it is proving an ellusive "ghost"!!
I don't have access to any county maps (I'm in Australia) and so far the BLM have not replied to my enquiries, so I am relying totally on GoogleEarth and getting cross-eyed late at night, scouring the Sanpete range!
Any help on the location and present condition of the old town would be grately appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
Hi, I'm looking for information - particularly accurate coordinates - for the old town of Brigham River, in Sevier County.

I have this info from another website:

I've seen a "mud map" that places it about 22 miles West of Salina and with the info above, that it is 28 miles NW of Richfield, you'd think I could find it but, it is proving an ellusive "ghost"!!
I don't have access to any county maps (I'm in Australia) and so far the BLM have not replied to my enquiries, so I am relying totally on GoogleEarth and getting cross-eyed late at night, scouring the Sanpete range!
Any help on the location and present condition of the old town would be grately appreciated.

Brigham River, Utah - Ghosttowns.com Forums

GT.com says Brigham River is West of Salina, Sevier County, Utah - and/or N.W of Richfield. The GT map shows it as approx 4 miles Sth of H'way 50.
GT.com says this:
REMAINS: Few remaining buildings. A bawdy house and miners cabin are all that stands.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 32,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Brigham River, Utah - Ghosttowns.com Forums

GT.com says Brigham River is West of Salina, Sevier County, Utah - and/or N.W of Richfield. The GT map shows it as approx 4 miles Sth of H'way 50.
GT.com says this:
REMAINS: Few remaining buildings. A bawdy house and miners cabin are all that stands.

Cottonwood - thanks for replying. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back here.
I got my only info on Brigham River, to date, from gt.com so I am actually looking for any "new" info. The gt.com interactive map is not designed to give specific locations, which is why I am googling it late at night.
Because I haven't had any luck yet, I have become even more determined to find it!
You just never know your luck, hey?

(I'm planning a trip stateside, so if I don't find it on a map, I'll find it on foot!)

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,971 times
I am from Sevier County, Richfield to be specific. I don't know of any town or ghost town named Brigham RIver in Sevier County. THe map from from website also shows Bullion which is in Piute County, not Sevier. So I think this is inaccurate information that someone posted. I have asked several older people about Brigham River and no one remembers it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Try MSR Maps for detailed topo maps. I tried and coundn't find it. I don't think the info on GT.com is accurate.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
I have a number of Utah ghost town books and none of them have any documentation or record of this ghost town site. That's not proof of it not existing, of course, but one of my books is very inclusive and a lot of research went into it... meaning I would question whether this place actually existed.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,340 times
Good luck! Sorry, my only suggestion is the ghosttown website as well. I found a great number when we traveled west years ago.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM

159 posts, read 558,521 times
Have you tried looking for the remains of it via Google Earth, starting with the rough location that you've found on-line?

I too tried looking up Brigham/Bodie in all three of my books on Utah ghost towns & all I found was a small 'Brigham City' that was also known as Camp Lorenzo -- a Mormon mission outpost near St George Utah (Washington County) -- far away from the area you're talking about.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,565 times
well everyone this is a long time after the last post on here so if it still matters i know this town and i've been there afew times along with many other ghost town in the area but most of them can't be found on maps and im not sure how to help you with out taking you there my self so if i can help in anyway let me know

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,445 times
Smile bringham river

Did you say you knew where? I hope to show the kids how the west was populated at the turn of the century. Can you tell me things like what county, near what creek? anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah