Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 09:58 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

Yes, our official designation is The United States of America, but the continents are all the Americas.

North America, Central America, South America
Whenever I talk to Brits they always refer to the US as America.

Our country isn't really "America", there are many other countries that make up the American continent.

All of them could include "America" in their country names.

The United States aren't "America", we're the many different states on the continent as well as Alaska and Hawaii in the Pacific.

And our country name is The United States of America. Not America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 10:29 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
The majority of people in the USA say America to refer to the USA too, plus a big portion of people all over the world. It's not a big deal. The USA is the only country in the Americas (north, central and south) that has "America" as part of its official name, so it is not entirely inaccurate.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:42 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Why do so many Americans call the UK "Great Britain" or even worse "England"? The answer is of course because it's easy and the audience instantly understands what you are referring to.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Yes, our official designation is The United States of America, but the continents are all the Americas.

Our country isn't really "America", there are many other countries that make up the American continent.

The United States aren't "America", we're the many different states on the continent as well as Alaska and Hawaii in the Pacific.

What would you like us to call you ?

Old 07-26-2023, 12:28 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Well, the country in reference is comprised of 50 'united' states. So, the country is called 'the United States of America' as in its being a portion of the land mass of 'the Americas'. However, the people of the United States are referred to as 'Americans'. The President of the United States is also referred to as 'the American President'. So, it would naturally follow that 'the United States of America' would be shortened to 'America' or, of course, 'the U.S.A. As has already been pointed out, 'England' and 'Britain' are, likewise, generally used synonymously.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:58 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:

The name is believed to derive from the the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci.

There are also other explanations, including being named after the Amerrisque Mountain range in Nicaragua, or after Richard Amerike, a merchant from Bristol, England.

In terms of Britain, we usually call the country the US or USA (United States of America), however in terms of the population they are usually referred to as Americans, although they sometimes can be referred to in relation to a particular state or city, such as a Texan or a New Yorker etc.

The giant land mass of North America, Central America and Southern America is usually referred to as the Americas rather than America.

Naming of the Americas - Wikipedia

In terms of America it's just a shortened version of the United States of America, just as the United States (US) is, and in terms of Americans, there is no other word I know of for citizens of the United States of America, so I am not sure what other countries are supposed to call Americans unless you want it to start calling you United Stater's or USAer's.

Is there something else that Americans want to be referred to.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-26-2023 at 03:22 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 06:25 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
used to be Yanks when i was a kid growing up in blightly

Old 07-26-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
What would you like us to call you ?
The name of the country is The United States. The "of America" is geographic, ie. the continent of the Americas. In that regard, Canada could be called America, or Peru or Mexico.

Calling the US "America" would be like calling Scotland "Britain" or France "Europe."

Every British person I've ever spoken to in the UK has referred to the country as America. Rarely if ever the US.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:27 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
The name of the country is The United States. The "of America" is geographic, ie. the continent of the Americas. In that regard, Canada could be called America, or Peru or Mexico.

Calling the US "America" would be like calling Scotland "Britain" or France "Europe."

Every British person I've ever spoken to in the UK has referred to the country as America. Rarely if ever the US.
i think nowadays I hear The States more than America.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think nowadays I hear The States more than America.
Yes, I have heard that as well now that you mention it.

It might be a hold-over WWII thing, sort of like calling us "yanks" how did that even start?; I've read that soldiers from the South, Midwest and West objected to being called yanks, it was puzzling. And continues to this day apparently although I've never been called a yank personally. They'd get a nice little piece of my mind if they did though.

At the grocery store I saw a box of crackers with the label "American crackers" and had to smile. They were what we call saltines.

Sort of like we have English muffins. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom