Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 07:49 PM

3,008 posts, read 1,688,028 times

Advertisements

I take a small rolling suitcase that stores in the overhead, my personal item is a medium zip tote that carries a travel pillow, light throw, small cross-chest leather travel purse, book or magazine, water and anything else I might want or need. Both are carry-ons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 08:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,116,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I could be wrong (it has happened once or twice), but I don't think those ScotteVest type vests/jackets are what the airline is concerned about. It's people wearing five shirts, three pairs of pants, two sweaters, etc.
Yet they still probably weigh far less than the average obese passenger.

What's the concern over that? Extra weight on the plane? Or the passenger trying to get out of paying an additional baggage fee? I wonder if it would make more sense for all passengers to stand on a scale with all their luggage, and if they're not within a designated threshold weight based on age/height/gender then they need to pay more per pound.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:20 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,861,670 times
Typically with most major airlines, you have both a "carry on" and a "personal item." The carry on is a small suitcase or something similar and a personal item is something like a backpack, laptop bag or purse. The dimensions for the carry on are pretty standard and the smaller suitcase that comes with a set is usually the exact size. The personal item size is usually stated to have to be able to fit under the seat.

I have no idea what the rules are with the low cost carriers since I don't really use them anymore. Most of them charge for every single piece you check or carry on and some have their own size limits so it is best to look at the luggage information for the flight before you purchase tickets.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:37 AM

6,832 posts, read 10,566,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkair View Post
I'm looking at Kayak and there's carry-on bag and checked bag options.

I'm guessing carry-on bag refers to a suitcase that is stored in the storage space of the airplane and does not refer to a backpack that is stored above where you sit in the plane?
Many airlines consider both a stuffed backpack or a small suitcase brought on the plane as carry-ons - anything that you would have to shove under the seat in front of you or put in an overhead compartment aside from something really small that you could keep on your person while in the air, such a purse you could strap on, or a book you can hold in your hand, etc.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:41 AM

2,585 posts, read 2,086,897 times
Check with your carrier's policy as each airline has its own.

As airlines have much fuller flights these days (compared to 20 years ago, IMO), the airline I used most (Delta) has encouraged people to take advantage of bag check at the gate with no fee. They simply do not have the room in the overhead compartments for all the "carry-on" items that people take to the gate - some of which is far larger than the policy allows.

My guess is that they would rather have their gate agents spend time helping travelers than arguing with travelers claiming that their military-sized duffel bag is "carry-on" and the free check is a compromise that is a win-win. They are trying to get planes stuffed and in the air on schedule.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:36 AM

9,207 posts, read 6,324,932 times
Regarding that backpack, if you are wearing it, remember you now have a vastly increased size.

When you are walking, standing in line, or turning, remember that you need more clearance to avoid bashing people with that backpack, which is essentially a suitcase strapped to your back.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 3,069,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Typically with most major airlines, you have both a "carry on" and a "personal item." The carry on is a small suitcase or something similar and a personal item is something like a backpack, laptop bag or purse. The dimensions for the carry on are pretty standard and the smaller suitcase that comes with a set is usually the exact size. The personal item size is usually stated to have to be able to fit under the seat.

I have no idea what the rules are with the low cost carriers since I don't really use them anymore. Most of them charge for every single piece you check or carry on and some have their own size limits so it is best to look at the luggage information for the flight before you purchase tickets.
Yes, and here are each carrier's maximum dimensions:
travel.usnews.com/features/carry-on-luggage-sizes-size-restrictions-by-airline

They're not all the same, but 22 x 14 x 9 seems to be the most common.

Note that each carrier specifies exact dimensions for carry-ons, but not all of them do that for personal items.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:47 PM

17,519 posts, read 22,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
yup, just bought tickets on Condor.

max 'carry on' is 10x30x40cm and 7 kg. (That's quite small) Briefcase

Now airlines are also docking you if you wear multiple layers to 'bulk up' to avoid adding luggage.

A Michelin Man 'donut' is a target for a strip search.
Ehhhhh you got a link for these "facts?"

Old 01-30-2024, 05:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 4,956,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I could be wrong (it has happened once or twice), but I don't think those ScotteVest type vests/jackets are what the airline is concerned about. It's people wearing five shirts, three pairs of pants, two sweaters, etc.
I would roast to death in a lot of layers like that.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:36 PM

206 posts, read 143,766 times
Women wear 6.5kg of clothes to avoid airline's baggage fees - but get fined anyway

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/aust...avoid-30001157
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel