Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 09:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone is well. I just came back from visiting Greater Toronto for the 7th time since childhood. Actually, it's more of a visit to the entire Golden Horseshoe Region because I pretty hit nine communities in six sub-regions total: Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Markham, Oshawa, and of course Toronto. I've already visited Niagara Falls as many times as Toronto; this was my second time in Hamilton and Burlington, third time in Mississauga, fifth time in both Richmond Hill and Markham, and first time in Newmarket and Oshawa. I seem to never get tired of Southern Ontario for some reason because there is always some new surprise I keep discovering about the place that keeps it interesting and exciting.

Here are some highlights:

Niagara Falls: We avoided the Falls (seen them four times from the Canadian side since childhood already) and stopped by at the Floral Clock and Niagara Botanical Gardens instead this time. My elderly father loves flowers and botanical gardens, which is why I decided to take him to there instead. I highly recommend the gardens. They are just the right size for an hour or two and well kept. There is only a parking fee as well, no admission is charged to see the gardens. In fact, after an 11-12 hour drive, that whole stretch of lush green parkland on the Canadian side is a pleasantly comfortable respite indeed.

Hamilton: As it was too late to continue driving to Greater Toronto, I purposefully planned to stay a night in Greater Hamilton instead. Hamilton looked little changed since we were last there in 2015. We only saw Lower City and it still looked very run down and industrial, in fact we smelled sulfur in the air. The Chinese community in Hamilton must be tight knit because the hostesses at the restaurant we dined at said they didn't recognize us and reckoned we weren't from there! (They must have many repeat customers.) Next time I am in Hamilton, I will be sure to visit the Mountain again and check out some of the waterfalls there.

Mississauga: Unlike the last two visits, we spent a full day touring this city and visited both Square One Shopping Centre and Golden Square Plaza. Having taken a closer and fuller look this time, I conclude that Downtown Mississauga reminds me very much of Downtown Jersey City. Both have equally spectacular skylines and an air of modernity as edge cities typically do. Though technically over the border in Toronto proper, we also visited Centennial Park and its wonderful flower conservatory and well maintained stadium the same day. Next time I am in the Peel Region, I think I will visit Brampton, which I have never been to before.

York Region (Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Markham and everything in between): Argh. What can I say about the cozy but sterile upperclass suburban region that my relatives live in that I have been to every time I visit the GTA? From an urban planner's perspective, the York Region represents much of what goes wrong when there is uninhibited growth in a metro area, huge lot sizes, two+ car garages, and a strong reliance on personal automobile travel. My relatives also happen to be the type to tell outsiders that they're "from Toronto" when in actual fact they keep to the York Region and seldom head down to the City just like someone here told you they're "from Boston" when in actual fact they're from Lexington, Newton, Wellesley, or Needham. Granted, the York Region Transit (YRT) is a better transit system than what many outer suburban regions have to offer in the US, and they are trying hard with the VIVA buses (more on that later) but it is not enough. When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle would have kept me in this region to check out as many suburban shopping plazas as possible and we did spend a good amount of time doing this but now as a grownup, they couldn't stop me from taking a day to trek south by public transportation to see...

Toronto: For better or worse, Toronto has changed since the pandemic and is continuing to change. On the one side, glamorous highrises are going up everywhere and the streets are teeming with life. I stopped by Midtown for a stroll and took a few pictures of the skyscrapers around there. I also visited High Park and Yonge-Doris for the first time and the ROM for the third time. The ROM remains a classy and interesting institution that still hasn't bored me yet. Yorkville and the Annex also continue to look elegant. I noticed a different vibe in Toronto this time around though, one that felt very New Yorkish. Toronto urban youth were noticeably rowdier and more boisterous in the public than 15-20 years ago. Some of the streets were also dirtier than I remember. I always thought of Toronto as a clean city but not anymore I guess. More on this later...

Oshawa/Durham Region: We spent our entire last day of our trip in Oshawa. This was the first time visiting the Durham Region and I actually found Oshawa and the Durham Region rather pleasant and unpretentious, kind of what Peel Region and and York Region might have looked and felt like decades ago. We stopped by the Oshawa Valley Botanical Gardens, Oshawa Civic Stadium, Oshawa Centre, and Monsignor Paul Dwyer High School, the latter for which to see a football game (more on that later). Like all road visits to Canada, we also shopped and shopped until our car trunk was packed full. Thank Marks, Canada Tire, Loblaws, T&T, No Frills, and all the other stores we don't see in the US.

More reflections:

Public transit:

YRT VIVA: Well at least YRT is trying. This was the first time I rode VIVA and I rode the Blue Line all the way from Newmarket to Finch Terminal, a full hour and 20 minutes. Locals including my uncle praise the VIVA saying it arrives on time at the dot all the time but perhaps I was riding on a bad day. My trip into town was delayed by 10 minutes and my return trip to Newmarket was dropped and I ended up waiting over half an hour for the next bus to arrive. After hours, there is no supervisor or official at Finch Terminal to talk to and riders are pretty much left on their own at the mercy of the system. Needless to say, there were a lot of disgruntled customers. Luckily this was not in the dead of winter waiting in subzero temperatures. The problem with VIVA is just with Boston's Silver Line "bus rapid transit", it is rapid only insofar as traffic allows it to be. To be true rapid transit, the buses ought to be running on their own dedicated transitways through the entire route and avoiding all traffic lights. The way VIVA is configured right now, it looks and feels like a half-hearted attempt to bridge the gap between ordinary bus service and true rapid transit.

TTC: The TTC subway continues to run frequently but is dirtier and much more crowded than before. The system seems to be bursting on the seams. Beggars and panhandlers, seldom if ever seen on the TTC before, now roam through the trains asking for money. Such scenes are common in New York and sometimes here in Boston but not in Toronto or so I thought. It was a far cry from 1998 when I first rode the TTC and it was very clean. Though overall an enjoyable experience, for the first time, I did not feel as safe and comfortable in the system than past times and for good reason. In fact, I admit I experienced a bad incident for the first time on the TTC and in fact for the first time in all 19 visits to Canada. That was when an individual standing right close by me on a crowded Bloor-Danforth train who was possibly not in the right mental state of mind opened a can of beer inside the subway train and began acting erratically, taking turns sipping and pouring the beer on the ground. I made the mistake of making eye contact with the man and he probably didn't take it well thinking "What!? So you don't like seeing me drinking this beer on the train you @%$#?" The individual proceeded to try dump out the can of beer on me and only missed by a few cm thereby splashing a bit of the beer on my shoes and pants before getting off the train. You might ask why I did not report this to the TTC authorities as this incident could well have been treated as an assault incident - I mean the man was infringing on my personal space - but for various reasons, I decided not to, namely: 1) there's hardly anyone around anymore that you could actually speak to. Some of the subway entrances aren't even manned. Sure you could call a police call box or head to a TTC precinct to file a report but I sincerely doubt anyone could be done and besides 2) I was pressed for time and seeing I wasn't punched, kicked, or otherwise physically harmed by the individual, decided to just move on from the incident. This incident does reinforce my observation that the TTC, just like many other transit agencies in North America, is short staffed post pandemic, there are a lot more mentally challenged individuals that need help than before, and everyone pretty much left on their own while riding the subway. Now this incident has not deterred me from riding one of my favorite subway systems in the world in the future I do have to keep a watchful eye the next time and plan better evasive action.

3 Down Football: On a more joyful topic, I did get to watch a 3-down gridiron football game during this stay. I missed the Argonauts by 2 days and both the York Lions and U of T Varsity Blues weren't playing in town either but I was at the right place at the right time to catch a match between Monsignor Paul Dwyer and Holy Trinity High Schools that was played at Dwyer in Oshawa. The atmosphere was very much like that at American high school games down here but Acajack was quite right in the other thread that some schools don't even have bleacher seats or any other amenities for viewers who either have to sit or stand on the grass or bring their own lawn chairs. This was true for Dwyer. Still, it was a very fun and exciting experience. The high point of the game was when the Holy Trinity punter recovered his own punt and ran for a touchdown . Another gentleman sitting close by was confused by the play and was upset that the touchdown got awarded to the punter's team. I, the American, had to explain to him that in Canadian rules, a punter is allowed to run and recover his own punt because he is always onside. Likewise any other player standing behind the punter is also "onside" and can do the same. It was a gutsy trick play for a high school team all right. I swear the 3 downs makes the game go faster, it only lasted 2 hours whereas American high school games can last a bit longer.

The Argonauts are so not big in Toronto . I visited three SportsCheks and one Hudson's Bay and could not find a men's T-shirt with the Argos' logo on it. SportsChek only had one rack of Argonauts merchandise whereas the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, and Raptors had entire sections of the store devoted to them. I even saw American teams merchandise like the LA Dodgers, the Buffalo Bills, and (gasp!) our own Boston Red Sox. The sales clerk at Hudson's Bay told me he never even heard of the Argonauts and asked if they played American football so that led me to think he probably never heard of Canadian football either . Oh well, it's back to online shopping I guess.

Canadian Funny Money: 15 rolls of pennies and two black 2022 toonies obtained this time, no Canadian half dollars or Voyageurs this time. My penny jars are filling up .

Overall, in spite of the ugly incident on the TTC, it was a very fun and memorable experience and I hope to visit again, maybe as soon as next year. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 11:38 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Nice post UP. Glad you came back to the big smoke and quite a bit of the GTA.

I just got back from Toronto last night. Took my boyfriend there for the first time. It was a saturday night and the city was crazy busy. The added condo's everywhere as you said has definately given the core a busier feel. It used to be more concentrated but it was just busy all over. Something going on even in places things used to not really go on. The lakeshore is developing like mad. With the portlands development going on that area and the east lakeshore are going to merge into one another. The city is finally feeling a lot more connected in the core. The only blight to this is obviously the Gardiner but even that can no longer stop it. The bentway was super cool as well so atleast there are some areas of it where they are making the best of it.

I'm sorry to hear what happened on the TTC. Actually I saw a guy drinking a beer on the subway a few months ago. People are definately more brash these days for sure. I'm not making light of your situation ofc - but Toronto was accused of being too clean and too sterile so - I guess this is a part of its growth trajectory. But yeah the city is quite vibrant and as i said, from what I see really starting to piece together nicely in the core. The latest skyscrapers and highrises are most definately a cut above a lot of the crap in the earlier 2000's and 2010's.

Btw there are emergency alarms on the subways. In this case even though it was concerning and you got a bit of beer on you - I think you made the right call not escalating. Take a look at the below. Hopefully this never happens again but safety is always number one regardless where we are and we can never take it for granted.

https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/sa...next%20station.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:38 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nice post UP. Glad you came back to the big smoke and quite a bit of the GTA.

I just got back from Toronto last night. Took my boyfriend there for the first time. It was a saturday night and the city was crazy busy. The added condo's everywhere as you said has definately given the core a busier feel. It used to be more concentrated but it was just busy all over. Something going on even in places things used to not really go on. The lakeshore is developing like mad. With the portlands development going on that area and the east lakeshore are going to merge into one another. The city is finally feeling a lot more connected in the core. The only blight to this is obviously the Gardiner but even that can no longer stop it. The bentway was super cool as well so atleast there are some areas of it where they are making the best of it.

I'm sorry to hear what happened on the TTC. Actually I saw a guy drinking a beer on the subway a few months ago. People are definately more brash these days for sure. I'm not making light of your situation ofc - but Toronto was accused of being too clean and too sterile so - I guess this is a part of its growth trajectory. But yeah the city is quite vibrant and as i said, from what I see really starting to piece together nicely in the core. The latest skyscrapers and highrises are most definately a cut above a lot of the crap in the earlier 2000's and 2010's.

Btw there are emergency alarms on the subways. In this case even though it was concerning and you got a bit of beer on you - I think you made the right call not escalating. Take a look at the below. Hopefully this never happens again but safety is always number one regardless where we are and we can never take it for granted.

https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/sa...next%20station.

Thanks for the link, Fusion. That is helpful information. I'm glad to also hear that Mayor Chow and TTC CEO Rick Leary are taking TTC safety seriously and hope to hire more personnel including more police constables https://www.cp24.com/news/ttc-report...push-1.6569624. It's after experiencing these situations that you realize that statistics mean nothing and that personal safety is the primary focus.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Thanks for the link, Fusion. That is helpful information. I'm glad to also hear that Mayor Chow and TTC CEO Rick Leary are taking TTC safety seriously and hope to hire more personnel including more police constables https://www.cp24.com/news/ttc-report...push-1.6569624. It's after experiencing these situations that you realize that statistics mean nothing and that personal safety is the primary focus.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Yeah the good ol TTC (Take The Car). Lol.

Don't get me wrong, when the system works, it's pretty good. But when it fails... it's pure misery.

Violence on the TTC has been on the up since Covid.

Also up because of the honour system for payment to get on most streetcars and even most buses. I've seen plenty of ppl jumping onto the system and not paying.. this includes many homeless and intoxicated ppl.

Regular riders on the TTC have learned to be fully aware of their surroundings and the ppl around them. Violence can happen and I have encountered a few close misses in the past 4 yrs. One even during rush hour at the busy nexus of Bloor and Yonge in the men's bathroom (the bathrooms are notorious for problems).

For the most part I feel safe on the TTC, mainly because I am always aware and TBH quite a muscular person so most ppl think twice before messing with me. Though I'm not naive enough to think that somebody with a knife can't end my life with one swipe.

Toronto is a great city. But like many big metropolitan centers, we have our problems. So come back y'all and enjoy

Old 09-26-2023, 11:33 PM

1,220 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Also up because of the honour system for payment to get on most streetcars and even most buses. I've seen plenty of ppl jumping onto the system and not paying.. this includes many homeless and intoxicated ppl.

)
It is considered racist and exclusionary to make people pay. So is enforcing loitering rules. Politicans have actually said this in other places. Woke ideology is ruining the country.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
It is considered racist and exclusionary to make people pay. So is enforcing loitering rules. Politicans have actually said this in other places. Woke ideology is ruining the country.
The TTC is very clear that fare evasion is a big issue. Fines for it are among the highest in N.A at 235-425 bucks. I don't think Anyone on Toronto Council, The Mayor or TTC board has ever said it is acceptable to skip paying a fare. I also haven't heard anyone in Toronto say it is racist and exclusionary in Toronto which is what we are talking about, not 'other' places. We don't even have stats on those who do evade, what their race is. Do you have that data?

It is costly to the TTC. Streetcar fair evasion is the highest at 15 percent while Subway fare evasion is lowest at 97.5 percent.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:16 AM

I have heard people in other places, that is the current woke trend across the country. Any time increased security is mentioned, some one will bring up "marginalzed" or "racialized groups". I heard one politician say turnstiles are exclusionary. We see this all over the country, Toronto is no exception.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cit...873856985.html
Quote:
She wrote that “all too often” the riders subject to violent encounters are racialized, impoverished or living with mental health challenges. “The TTC is the pride of Toronto, but Toronto deserves better than this.”

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green didn’t deny the unit needs fundamental change.

“The TTC is committed to operating a system that is inclusive, modern and welcoming for all residents of this great and diverse city,” he said in a statement. “Culture change at the TTC with respect to special constable services has been underway for a year and a half” and the agency has already made “extensive” revisions to training around mental health and diversity.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ment-1.5987048
Quote:
Key among the findings: Black and Indigenous riders were more likely than white riders to be formally charged or cautioned by TTC fare inspectors and special constables in enforcement incidents, whether they be on transit routes, locations and stations, the review found

Old 09-27-2023, 06:39 AM

thanks for the links. If certain groups are more represented than others because they are evading fares than I have no sympathy. You don't pay you are committing a crime in the same way if you steal a chocolate bar from a store. I do think a closer examination as to why there are certain groups, in this case black and indigenous groups are more likely to evade fares. So I think there are multiple things going on here.

When you say woke though, can you expand on that in terms of race? I hear the term a lot and i'm trying to understand what people are saying. I'm not denying some liberal extreme views when it comes to certain topics but i've found that people just throw this umbrella term around a lot without going into detail about it. Just comes across as angry and unfocused.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
thanks for the links. If certain groups are more represented than others because they are evading fares than I have no sympathy. You don't pay you are committing a crime in the same way if you steal a chocolate bar from a store. I do think a closer examination as to why there are certain groups, in this case black and indigenous groups are more likely to evade fares. So I think there are multiple things going on here.

When you say woke though, can you expand on that in terms of race? I hear the term a lot and i'm trying to understand what people are saying. I'm not denying some liberal extreme views when it comes to certain topics but i've found that people just throw this umbrella term around a lot without going into detail about it. Just comes across as angry and unfocused.

I already gave you several examples in my posts above. It's not liberal exterme views either, these views are pretty mainstream these days. When Toronto announced increased security on transit, there was a huge uproar and the possibilty of racial profiling was one of the main concerns. It was all over the news. Some protestors were against increased security all together over this reason.... Thousands and thousands of minorities use transit everyday without any issues. People are looking for an issue where there is none. Its mostly virtue signalling. Pay your fair and you won't have any problems. It really is that easy.

Last year and early on this year we had several violent incidents on transit here in Winnipeg. A bus driver was even murdered here a few years back. People have been asking for police presence for years, even the transit drivers and union. but its always the woke activist that complain and say no because police will further traumatize already traumatized marginalized minority groups. Politicians are on record saying this. It's the same woke nonsense everywhere. The woke left are the ones that sound angry and unfocused and worst of all unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto