Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 07:58 AM

251 posts, read 235,941 times

Advertisements

We decided on a 1988 Palm Harbor double wide in a co-op community. The seller who is in her mid 90s agreed to pay for the issues that came up on the inspection.

The biggest one is the vapor barrier & insulation under the home.

It has PVC plumbing that passed & seems to be original to the home. Where we live now, my neighbor had a pipe blow under his house>> WHAT A MESS.

His home was built in the 70s & has Polybutylene. The PVC plumbing on the home were buying, is original to the house. How long does PVC last before it gets brittle? I hate to waste money changing the plumbing especially since it passed inspection should PVC plumbing last a lifetime? Does PVC get brittle?

We live in Florida and get few very cold nights (28degrees Fahrenheit) BUT I would sure hate to have that flooded mess like my neighbor has.

The inspection we had included the plumbing, roof, electrical, windows appliances all passed.

The seller is paying several thousand dollars to redo the vapor barrier. My question is>> should the plumbing (PVC) last a lifetime? or become brittle over time or should it be replaced? also, we hope the insulation in the walls are still good. Her electric bills have been reasonable so I think her insulation should be ok.

I hope to live there for years & taking care of it the plumbing (if necessary) is my biggest concern.

My neighbor where we live now has a huge mess on his hands one I dont want to have.

Any suggestions to have a good experience with a older home like this one. I know getting the vapor barrier replaces is a huge plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 09:04 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
Congratulations! I don't think the PVC plumbing will be an issue. That is great the seller is replacing the vapor barrier, it certainly makes a difference in insulation factors. Given the fact all of the inspection items passed, you will be fine.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:50 AM

Thank You, We found a super nice seller and love the house

Old 02-04-2024, 03:51 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Oldest son is a plumber. He says the PVC should be fine as long as it's not exposed to (sun)light for long periods, which makes it brittle. It will become brittle as it ages, but that's only an issue when you're working on it.

Congrats on the new digs!

RM

Old 02-05-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Oldest son is a plumber. He says the PVC should be fine as long as it's not exposed to (sun)light for long periods, which makes it brittle. It will become brittle as it ages, but that's only an issue when you're working on it.

RM

Thank you!! Our plumber agreed 1000000% with what your son said. Its old but passed inspection & is CPVC not PVC so that is even better.

Last edited by mdc1022; 02-05-2024 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-05-2024, 09:39 AM

Also I mis spoke, the house has CPVC plumbing.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

RM
Thank you!! Our plumber agreed 1000000% with what your son said.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:31 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Palm Harbor's are some of the best mobile homes. We had one in Las Cruces, NM, it was built really well. I loved that thing. I loved all of the mobile homes we owned in senior parks in Cruces, Daytona Beach and St Pete. You really get a bargain w/ those things, just make sure you have it in a park that is owner, owned. Those corporate places will sell the park out from under you to the highest bidder and people get 30 days to leave. It's so sad. All of our parks were owned by individuals who were locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay