Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times

Advertisements

So, here's a question: It looks to me that with a management company homeowners have no say in anything! how's that fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So, here's a question: It looks to me that with a management company homeowners have no say in anything! how's that fair?
Home owners have a lot to say...all they have to do is show up and speak up at meetings and that the thing and issue that most communities have.

Our community changed it with the last 2 years of annual meetings where so many people showed up that the President was flabbergasted and knew there was more to it than the property manager was saying.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
it can become an ugly place because many are very very opinioated bullys...I have seen it - almost gave my poor old dad a heart attack, I moved him out- not all palces, but this thread is showing the ugly side of it. I rather live free- pink flamingo mailbox-- crazy but whatever

Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM

For me it is the other way around and personally I never had a real issue myself since I keeps the rules and don't mind these rules since to me they are to preserve the value of the property. The part I care about is the part that if they don't try to answer in ad event time frame, work with people when they fall behind instead of making it worse and I don't care if they are harsh towards dead beats.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Rampart changed their name into Associa Gulf Coast just so you know it is just a way to get rid of the bad association they got with the Rampart name at a time it was really becoming necessary!
Texas Senator John Carona's Associations, Inc. aka "Associa" holding company acquired Benson's as another HOA management company subsidiary a few years ago. The subsidiary name was changed to "Associa Gulf Coast" in 2011.
Associa Expands Florida Market | Business Wire

Rampart, Community Management Concepts of Florida, and Associa Gulf Coast will all be operated under the Associa Gulf Coast name. Associa acquired Community Management Concepts of Florida and Rampart some time ago. CMC was acquired in 2004. Rampart was acquired in 2010. They have all been operated under the direction of Texas Senator Carona for years. It's not clear whether these will be treated as separate companies operating under one assumed name or whether the other entities are being merged or are otherwise being disposed of with the survivor being AGC.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.: Associa Branches Join Forces to Offer Greater Service to Florida’s Gulf Coast - Real Estate - MiamiHerald.com

Simply changing the name of the entity doesn't alter any of its business practices. They've been "Associa" businesses for years.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:03 AM

I heard they are a Texas based company and during the presentation it was mentioned that we would get a manager that still was in Texas and moving to our area. All employees that were replacing Florida based employees came from Texas....sad for people who live and worked at Rampart for years aside from Kelly who should have been fired years ago.

BUT it seems their Texas way is not working here since. Rampart overal was doing fine and is not like a fast train without brakes heading for the edge of the cliff! Soon they will go over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Texas Senator John Carona's Associations, Inc. aka "Associa" holding company acquired Benson's as another HOA management company subsidiary a few years ago. The subsidiary name was changed to "Associa Gulf Coast" in 2011.
Associa Expands Florida Market | Business Wire

Rampart, Community Management Concepts of Florida, and Associa Gulf Coast will all be operated under the Associa Gulf Coast name. Associa acquired Community Management Concepts of Florida and Rampart some time ago. CMC was acquired in 2004. Rampart was acquired in 2010. They have all been operated under the direction of Texas Senator Carona for years. It's not clear whether these will be treated as separate companies operating under one assumed name or whether the other entities are being merged or are otherwise being disposed of with the survivor being AGC.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.: Associa Branches Join Forces to Offer Greater Service to Florida’s Gulf Coast - Real Estate - MiamiHerald.com

Simply changing the name of the entity doesn't alter any of its business practices. They've been "Associa" businesses for years.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Quote:
Home owners have a lot to say...all they have to do is show up and speak up at meetings and that the thing and issue that most communities have.

Our community changed it with the last 2 years of annual meetings where so many people showed up that the President was flabbergasted and knew there was more to it than the property manager was saying.
....and if they don't come how will anything pass? I don't think it is just "work" that keeps people from coming...it is a generational thing. Here only the old people who are retired show up. There are kids in HS, or stay at home parents who never go...what do you attribute that to?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Quote:
I heard they are a Texas based company and during the presentation it was mentioned that we would get a manager that still was in Texas and moving to our area. All employees that were replacing Florida based employees came from Texas....sad for people who live and worked at Rampart for years aside from Kelly who should have been fired years ago.
Their approach doesn't work in Texas either - at least not for the HOA corp or the involuntary members. Works great for Sen Carona. He sat in the legislature authoring laws beneficial to his HOA management company organization when few knew of his industry ties. More recently he created a PAC to lobby for laws beneficial to his businesses in other states like Florida and California.

You might want to look at the venue provisions in that management contract. It might require disputes to be litigated in Dallas County, Texas.

You might also look into what entity owns the insurance you think your project is insured under. If Associa is involved, the insurance its subsidiaries promote are owned by Associations, Inc. aka "Associa" - not the HOA corporations or condo corporations. Your project will be one of many - how many you won't know - all claiming coverage under the same policy (owned by Associa). If you inquire you may be lied to as to who owns the policy. You need to get a copy of the insurance declarations page to see who the owner is. You will likely get resistance when you try to obtain such documents. Associa has been playing this game for years - including in the state of Florida.

The management contract will probably also have a provision demanding 10% of claims paid out via insurance to go to the management company. The management contracts in Texas have such a provision.

Banking used to get switched to First Associations Bank after the subsidiary management companies took over "management" of the HOA. Guess who was the largest shareholder of FAB....Rather odd to have a bank with a single branch in Texas and which only did business with HOA management companies. Regardless of the bank used, you might want to look into who the account owner is and whether the management company has been given authority via contract or "bank signature card resolutions" to negotiate checks without crediting them to the client.

Quote:
BUT it seems their Texas way is not working here since. Rampart overal was doing fine and is not like a fast train without brakes heading for the edge of the cliff! Soon they will go over it!
When there is a tying relationship between the management company and insurance coverage, you can't fire the management company once the management company provokes a dispute between the HOA corp and involuntary members. Once litigation starts the HOA won't be able to get coverage elsewhere and the HOA corp can't keep the insurance coverage it thinks it has if it fires the management company due to the tying arrangement.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 10-16-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
I dislike throwing a wrench to all the company bashing, but we have been very happy with Jim Davis at Rampart (now Associa). He's a hard working guy and he knows the laws. He also attends the HOA board meetings every month and he's copied on board emails. The properties undergoing foreclosure are always kept mowed and free of squatters - something I can't say about other large communities. It sounds to me that you had a sub-standard property manager though ultimately that's the management company's fault. I have no intention of killing this thread - I'm just saying that everyone is not sewn from the same cloth.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-16-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
....and if they don't come how will anything pass? I don't think it is just "work" that keeps people from coming...it is a generational thing. Here only the old people who are retired show up. There are kids in HS, or stay at home parents who never go...what do you attribute that to?
In our community hardly anybody went to meetings aside from the people serving on some committees until one year too many people had issues and everyone was shocked how many people turned up for the annual meeting and it was complaint after complaint from home owners.

If you are in a community with little or no complaints than hardly anybody will show up.

Of course there are always people complaining who don't have a valid complaint but just are upset about things they have caused themselves or by their late payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay