Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:05 AM

756 posts, read 2,090,035 times

Advertisements

So the hubs and I were shopping at Lowe's this weekend, and as we were loading up the car he says something about a fireworks stand near the front of the store and how dangerous that is.

I walked back in to see for myself since I didn't notice it as I was exiting. It was there all right, although it was more of a fireworks kiosk, and sitting in the middle of the display was a fire extinguisher. I said something to a clerk who was nearby.."Isn't that kind of dangerous to have?"

I don't think he knew or cared. What do some of you guys think about this...I always see fireworks stands outdoors, without exception, such as the Walmart parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 10:39 AM

23,627 posts, read 70,572,490 times
The fire marshal would have jurisdiction. Placing any flammables where an emergency exit would be blocked if there was a fire is a clear no-no. As for the inherent danger - the solvents near the paint aisle present a far greater risk.

Thinking about it, a fire extinguisher would be only marginally helpful with fireworks. Once the combustion is in the paper tube, the reaction doesn't respond to smothering it with chemicals or gasses, and the time involved in grabbing and aiming is too great. A flameproof blanket and three or four open pails of water would make me more comfortable.

But hey, its Georgia! We've had questions in Alabama about how smart they were since before "Fried Green Tomatoes!"

Old 05-09-2024, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
I had a business for 16 years, and the fire department only came to do a safety inspection once a year. Unless someone complains, they probably don't have to worry about getting caught. Here I have seen small unmanned displays of fireworks inside supermarkets, in the unincorporated areas and tribal lands where it's still legal. Those tend to be less dangerous, however, sparklers and fountains rather than the shooting type.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:58 AM

13,142 posts, read 21,077,639 times
One of the nation home improvement stores had these displayed for years from before Memorial Day to after the 4th of July. Last year it was in the parking lot. Word was someone called the Fire Marshall and they visited the store and ordered it removed. Never was allowed inside that location and it stopped only after one person made the call.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:06 AM

78,648 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So the hubs and I were shopping at Lowe's this weekend, and as we were loading up the car he says something about a fireworks stand near the front of the store and how dangerous that is.

I walked back in to see for myself since I didn't notice it as I was exiting. It was there all right, although it was more of a fireworks kiosk, and sitting in the middle of the display was a fire extinguisher. I said something to a clerk who was nearby.."Isn't that kind of dangerous to have?"

I don't think he knew or cared. What do some of you guys think about this...I always see fireworks stands outdoors, without exception, such as the Walmart parking lot.
There are numerous firework sales places with fixed structure buildings with pallets and pallets of fireworks in them. I've been in places the size of a grocery store with nothing in them but fireworks.

https://www.sheltonfireworks.com/

This one is on the Iowa\Missouri border and is an entire warehouse full. There are 2 others within a mile of it.

Lowes is also going to have all kinds of flammable and combustible stuff inside year round....for example paint thinner and a host of other products.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,414,602 times
This is unrelated, but the story reminded me of it. Several years back I took an electrical code class. One of the things we went over was how wiring had to be done differently at gas stations because of the explosion risks. Within so many feet of the gas pumps all of the lights and speakers and everything else had to be special stuff that didn't produce sparks.

I don't normally deal with that kind of stuff so I don't remember all of the particulars, other than when I was driving home from the class I passed a gas station that had the local fire department set up grilling burgers and hotdogs right outside of the front doors as a fund raiser. I remember seeing one of the fire fighters lifting the lid to the grill and seeing the flames jumping out, probably about 30' from where cars were getting gas.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:23 PM

11,786 posts, read 6,149,854 times
There are entire buildings full of fireworks out there. All year long, not just summer. Entire full buildings, 365 days a year.

https://fireworkssupermarket.com

Old 05-10-2024, 05:13 PM

17,652 posts, read 13,439,958 times
Quote:

Is it just sparklers and snakes, or full blown hard core fireworks? I see those in Krogers around here

If more than sparklers etc, I would call the nearest fire station and also talk to the store manager

These stands blow up around here all the time

Old 05-10-2024, 10:20 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,219,320 times
Quote:

I see fireworks sold inside grocery and other big box stores here a few times a year. Not sure of the problem. Were you going to throw a lighted cigarette in it?

Stores are full of flammable items and idiots already. . .

And the floors are generally cement which won't burn and there are probably sprinklers and fire extinguishers.

I do see pop up stands outside sometimes which IMO might be more dangerous cause there is wind to spread the fire and dry grass/weeds to add to it.

I wish they were illegal the noise is terrible for weeks in when they allow them here.

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

756 posts, read 2,090,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Lowes is also going to have all kinds of flammable and combustible stuff inside year round....for example paint thinner and a host of other products.
Exactly what I was thinking ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products