Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 10:48 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1. Some of my regulars were painting tools (brushes, rollers, roller covers), cleaning products & supplies (LA Awesome Cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, brooms, toilet/dish brushes), food items (dried beans, Libby green beans, 79 cents) canned tomatoes, tea, spices, one quart bottles of lemon & lime juice, not reconstituted), personal care items (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton pads, OTC meds) misc. household (ziploc bags, trash bags, food containers).

It was understandable, I guess, that during the covid years that merchandise was scare. But in the past year, all items are now $1.25, many items are out of existence, or have been scaled down to not even be worth the price. My favorite box of green tea bags now contains 60, not 100. Stick deodorant & body powder contain less. Laundry detergent is about 1/4 size than before, just a few examples.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 11:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
"Dollar Whatever" was always a stupid name, things can't stay a dollar forever, but I guess it was catchier than 'Bargain General' or the 'Bargain Shop'.

Look at it this way, is it still a bargain compared to Walmart or Target or whatever other stores in your area?
And yeah, the wages are crap. My daughter worked there for a short while, the employee Christmas 'bonus' from the company (not the mgr, the company!) was two cookies.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:26 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"Dollar Whatever" was always a stupid name, things can't stay a dollar forever, but I guess it was catchier than 'Bargain General' or the 'Bargain Shop'.

Look at it this way, is it still a bargain compared to Walmart or Target or whatever other stores in your area?
And yeah, the wages are crap. My daughter worked there for a short while, the employee Christmas 'bonus' from the company (not the mgr, the company!) was two cookies.
I agree. I usually shop for seasonal decorative items, especially for outdoors.

2 cookies????

Old 08-08-2022, 12:39 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Dollar Tree stores have been $1.00 for over 20 years without a price increase so going up to $1.25 is quite reasonable. If you're a good informed shopper you'll find some real bargains compared to the bigger stores like Walmart, Target etc.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:55 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Dollar Tree stores have been $1.00 for over 20 years without a price increase so going up to $1.25 is quite reasonable. If you're a good informed shopper you'll find some real bargains compared to the bigger stores like Walmart, Target etc.

OP: If the Dollar Stores didn't raise the prices, they'd have to close.

Are the deals worth an extra quarter? Or would you rather have those stores close?

Old 08-08-2022, 03:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
The problem isn't the rise in price as much as the extreme downsizing of the product. If the product that now sells for $1.25 is 1/3 or 1/4 of the size that previously sold for $1, that's a problem for me as it's not cost-effective.

Two cookies for Xmas bonus? If they were the cookies sold at Dollar Tree, that's even worse!

Old 08-08-2022, 05:06 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
The problem isn't the rise in price as much as the extreme downsizing of the product. If the product that now sells for $1.25 is 1/3 or 1/4 of the size that previously sold for $1, that's a problem for me as it's not cost-effective.

Two cookies for Xmas bonus? If they were the cookies sold at Dollar Tree, that's even worse!
Don't know for sure, but I expect Dollar Tree isn't buying downsized items manufactured/packaged to their specs... products EVERYWHERE are downsizing. Most of the stuff that was a bargain at DT for $1 is still a bargain at $1.25. A whole lot of things that weren't necessarily a better deal still aren't.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:39 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Would you be happier if they just changed their name to the Five Dollar Tree?

I am old enough to remember the Five and Dime stores, meaning 5 CENTS and 10 CENTS. Yes you really could buy things for a nickel or dime. Then they became dime stores... Well those stores either went out of business or changed their name. So it goes with the dollar stores and 99cent stores.

A "Five Dollar" store would frankly give you a whole lot more realistic choices in 2022. I imagine you will soon see such.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:46 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:

I have never been happy with shrinkflation. Do anybody remember when coffee was sold by the POUND and not 10oz to 12oz? See shrinking sizes just makes life lot more inconvenient. If I need 50# dog food, what am I supposed to do with 37.5 pound bag? Buy two? Shrinking package size doesnt mean I can just make do with less product.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:54 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1. Some of my regulars were painting tools (brushes, rollers, roller covers), cleaning products & supplies (LA Awesome Cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, brooms, toilet/dish brushes), food items (dried beans, Libby green beans, 79 cents) canned tomatoes, tea, spices, one quart bottles of lemon & lime juice, not reconstituted), personal care items (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton pads, OTC meds) misc. household (ziploc bags, trash bags, food containers).

It was understandable, I guess, that during the covid years that merchandise was scare. But in the past year, all items are now $1.25, many items are out of existence, or have been scaled down to not even be worth the price. My favorite box of green tea bags now contains 60, not 100. Stick deodorant & body powder contain less. Laundry detergent is about 1/4 size than before, just a few examples.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.
It's called Shrinkflation, and it's been talked about in the news a lot in recent weeks. Products are getting smaller, but the prices are getting higher. This is the aftermath of a two-year pandemic and ongoing supply chain issues.

These dollar stores are pretty much designed to have just a few workers on shift. It's a part of their low overhead cost to operate these stores. I've been in these stores with only one person working the register, and the line is real long, in that situation I just leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products