Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 09:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

The last time I flew into OAK & took the BART from there was 2016. It was bad enough then, can’t even imagine now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 11:31 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I used to eat at that Dennys frequently 45+ years ago. One of my first jobs in the late 70's was right off Hegenberger and my dad worked in Alameda and ever week or so he'd take me there for lunch. There was a tall guy who worked there who was very proper and would whip the menus under his arm like a fancy waiter and take us to a table. Dad used to refer to him him Pierre and he seemed almost like a maitre d' (Dennys style) but I have no idea what his real name was. Good memories

Old 02-02-2024, 07:51 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I used to eat at that Dennys frequently 45+ years ago. One of my first jobs in the late 70's was right off Hegenberger and my dad worked in Alameda and ever week or so he'd take me there for lunch.
I was born in the 70s; and while we didn’t move to Santa Rosa until the 80s, I remember Oakland being called the ‘crime capital’ even then - especially while in middle school. In fact, as a kid, I recall going into SF fairly often but never Oakland.

Hence the reason any thread re: closings near the Oakland airport (or sports teams leaving, for that matter) doesn’t surprise me. If anything, crime actually declined for awhile; however, it’s had high rates of homicide and violent crime for decades. To make matters worse, Oakland is without a permanent police chief (and has been for about a year); the previous one was fired.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-02-2024 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: added second paragraph

Old 02-02-2024, 07:59 AM

11,404 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I don't trust the crime stats either.

I think crimes are counted when they are reported or when police are called/investigating. So it does not take a conviction to considered a crime.

But we know that there are people in San Francisco who reported say the first 3 or 4 times their car was broken into, and nothing was done so they have stopped reporting the crime for the next 5 break ins.

The same for businesses. They report the first time or two they are smashed into, the cops can't do anything, and so they stop reporting. So in these high crime areas, it is really up to how persevering people are reporting every instance of crime instead of wearing down and saying heck with it.

I think many in Oakland don't bother reporting most crimes anymore since nothing gets done anyway.

Add frustration to that. Many people have said they can't get anyone to answer 9-1-1 and so they just quit calling. I don't know how messed up Oakland's 9-1-1 system is, but it has problems.

While Oakland’s 911 system was dangerously understaffed, 1,000 operator applications went unprocessed

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/12/...t-unprocessed/

Old 02-02-2024, 08:43 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I wonder if the crimes in these cities are being accurately counted?
Are all these cities using the same definition of crime?
I don’t know if it even matters but is crime counted as a call in, a written report, a conviction and do they even count to ones they let go and refuse to prosecute?
Call me a skeptic, I think these crime numbers can be easily played or modified to suit the current need.
Many different kinds of statistics in many different areas of life and science can and are finagled. Statistics can be misleading as well.

Example of the above: During the pandemic they said a certain percentage of people over a certain age that got very sick had a pre-existing condition. What they didn't say was more than half the people over that certain age had a pre-existing condition.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:22 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If this keeps up, all that will be left is franchised fast food and gas stations.
They should and probably will eventually close those as well. If they people in the area can't act right, who wants to run a business or work there?

Old 02-02-2024, 10:29 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
They should and probably will eventually close those as well. If they people in the area can't act right, who wants to run a business or work there?
You might wonder. On the other hand, businesses continue to ‘run’ - and thrive - and people continue to work in crappy conditions as well as pleasant ones all across the nation and around the world. Profit and income drive decisions more than QOL.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:11 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You might wonder. On the other hand, businesses continue to ‘run’ - and thrive - and people continue to work in crappy conditions as well as pleasant ones all across the nation and around the world. Profit and income drive decisions more than QOL.
The problem is they aren't thriving. Many businesses are struggling with theft and crime in many areas in cities across the nation. Walgreens, Walmart and many others have stated that they are going to start closing their stores in these areas if the theft and crime is not addressed.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:30 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The problem is they aren't thriving. Many businesses are struggling with theft and crime in many areas in cities across the nation. Walgreens, Walmart and many others have stated that they are going to start closing their stores in these areas if the theft and crime is not addressed.
Well, as another poster just observed in a separate Bay Area thread focused on crime and business loss:
“ … in some areas crime has scared people away but it's really incredulous to claim that stores have no control over theft, they have successfully been deterring crime and catching shoplifters for decades, now they clutch their pearls and claim they can't do a thing about it...

Lots of articles from all kinds of media including business journals across the nation are exposing the disingenuousness of claiming theft and crime for businesses closing - when the truth is most often that the nature of retailing is changing with on-line shopping and mega-box-retailers who don’t anchor the old shopping mall centers anymore … and certainly don’t populate strip malls.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, as another poster just observed in a separate Bay Area thread focused on crime and business loss:
“ … in some areas crime has scared people away but it's really incredulous to claim that stores have no control over theft, they have successfully been deterring crime and catching shoplifters for decades, now they clutch their pearls and claim they can't do a thing about it...
There’s not much in the way of shopping near the Oakland airport/Denny’s. It is industrial parks, warehouses, undeveloped land and real estate in poor condition relative to neglect. There isn’t even much in the way of grocery stores.

That said, it’s about safety concerns and a decline in business relative to such. Per the thread, why would folks stop at Denny’s (or In-N-Out) when they are safer to grab a bite at the Oakland airport. Actually, many prefer the SF airport despite the significantly higher cost and it being more of a hassle relative to larger crowds as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland