Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 09:01 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Back when I was single my go-to was POF. I had better luck on that than Tinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 11:22 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I've tried OK Cupid a few times over the years. It's not OK! "Met" some of the squirreliest women there. Usually it stops, for me anyway, before anything even starts, and the times its gone past the initial coffee get together, it hasn't worked out any better. I hate to use this phrase, but low quality people is how I would sum it up. People who don't have healthy relationships w/ others.

Would it be different if it were a pay site? I don't mind that, but a lot of people complain of it being almost impossible to end their membership and the monthly fees.
None of the dating sites are worth the issues you will eventually get. It would make sense to me that if a person is a paying member, they are more serious in their search for a partner. However, you are very correct in thinking the people are not so much "low quality", but yes, ones with relationship issues AND are very soon out of a long marriage or relationship. The dating sites should be called "rebound" sites. You might find a good transitional person to get you through your turmoil, but once you heal from what caused you to get on the site in the first place, you won't be interested in them anymore.

It's like being married 35 years. Your wife leaves you. You are lonely and desparate, your heart is hurting, you're flip flopping around like a fish out of water. Then you get on a site and you get to talk to some women and things don't hurt quite so bad. You date a little and nothing ever works out, but at least you had company for dinner. Trying for more at that time is inviting people in to your chaos. HEAL before you put yourself on the market or nothing will ever work out for you.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
OKCupid seems very old school now. I met my partner on it in 2016, but even then it felt like the quality of matches was going down.

Single friends in their 20s and 30s use Hinge, When Coffee Meets Bagel, and Bumble.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:07 AM

23 posts, read 5,304 times
Damn...I've been trying to use OKC and I can't get a single match there, let alone a date. At least you get that...

Old 03-15-2024, 10:22 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
None of the dating sites are worth the issues you will eventually get...
Not even the wholesome or relatively wholesome ones like Eharmony and Christian sites?

Old 03-16-2024, 06:54 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
OkCupid is a great model, but it's not the app. Everyone is at least a little bit crazy lol.

If you have the money, might be worth considering a matchmaker. Most or all of the cheaper ones seem to be lacking. I think you need like 10k+ hanging around for free.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:46 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Also, you could consider paying something online, but pick something where you can pay in full and it's clear that you're only signing up for a limited period of time where the privileges end. If you have something that is more loosely defined with only a monthly fee, your concerns of difficulty canceling could certainly be much more valid.

Another thing you can consider is speed dating. You pay and you know what you get.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:09 PM

1,241 posts, read 820,917 times
I met my wife on POF. When I was single, my order of preference was POF, Hinge, Facebook Dating, Bumble/Tinder, OkCupid. I preferred to express interest with a short message over swipe-and-match apps where the algorithm can limit your options. But I had at least one quality date from all of them. (No luck at all with Coffee Meets Bagels, though.)

Old 03-23-2024, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 102 times
I already gave up to find a normal person online, so I prefer just to go with the flow. At the moment I am just meeting people for casual fun, but you never know where it can lead afterwards. As an example I was using chat.casual-date. me to find a friend with benefits. I found a girl, who wasn't ready for any relationships, but she still wanted intimacy. We agreed that we are going to meet once in a week and stay just friends. But we felt so comfortable with each other that after a few months we started dating.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:30 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Maries View Post
I already gave up to find a normal person online, so I prefer just to go with the flow. At the moment I am just meeting people for casual fun, but you never know where it can lead afterwards. As an example I was using chat.casual-date. me to find a friend with benefits. I found a girl, who wasn't ready for any relationships, but she still wanted intimacy. We agreed that we are going to meet once in a week and stay just friends. But we felt so comfortable with each other that after a few months we started dating.
Great first post!

...And, from a thread that is from this century!

Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships