Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times

Advertisements

I think it's an easy way to spare your feelings by essentially saying you're not the only one he won't marry. That way you might not feel as bad since you are one of a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM

111 posts, read 223,541 times
1. People change their minds.
2. They haven't found someone they want to marry, and assume that means they'll never find someone they want to marry?
3. It's a way of deflecting conversations they don't want to have.

People don't have to behave exactly the same way in all their relationship or have all the same feelings. Sometimes you realize you're not open to certain things with one partner, or that the relationship just isn't at that point where you feel comfortable doing it, whether it's moving in together or getting married. Your circumstances, feelings and outlook on relationships can change.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
This happened to me 5 years ago and I will spare the details, but if I could just spare another woman out there from this kind of heartache--

Happily married now, but still and yet, just curious--

WHY DO guys do this to women? They will date you and tell you they never plan on getting married, or re-married, later on one of you decides to end it. Then a year later you find out he got married or remarried, after all that talk!

Oh and I have read the book "He's Just Not That Into You" and will admit this--My current hubby's behavior during courtship was NOTHING like my ex's (the one who told me ad infinitum, "i ain't never getting married again" and then two years later down the road, he's RE-MARRIED!)

Thanks
You know how much I hate that this happened to you

And not to defend the guy who did it, but I just wanted to say that when I've seen this happen it really was as much a surprise to the guy himself as much as everyone else when he did get married.

See, I really think when a guy tells a woman this he means it at the time he says it.

What he doesn't realize is, when "the one" comes in to his life (if she ever does) all bets are off, so to speak.

Some men just can't see themselves ever wanting to be married, but when the right woman comes along it's all they can do to get to the alter, lol.

All it really means is, you weren't "the one" for him - but that DOES NOT mean there was a thing wrong with you or that you did anything wrong.

People take rejection like this so personally - and I know it's hard not to - but most of the time there was really nothing you could have done - the chemistry just was not there, that's all

Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Is this guy not entitled to change his mind?? When I was dating my husband he told me he was never getting married. Guess who has been married for almost 16 years? Guess who was the one who actually brought up marriage?

I don't invest much into what those books have to say so I don't compare them to anyone. Obviously your ex and your current husband are completely different people.

Imo, I think you're still a bit hung up on your ex, otherwise I don't see why it would matter to you if you now have Mr. Right.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
There could be many reasons for this. Some people truly never want to marry so they are honest upfront. However I suspect these are a minority as most people I know married, including the "never marrying" ones. I have had this happen to me and did it to others and it's mostly either because of timing or I wasn't in love with the person. I had several men propose to me and I said I'm never marrying because I didn't want them.

Btw, I despise that book as I think the advice is often wrong.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,667,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know how much I hate that this happened to you

And not to defend the guy who did it, but I just wanted to say that when I've seen this happen it really was as much a surprise to the guy himself as much as everyone else when he did get married.

See, I really think when a guy tells a woman this he means it at the time he says it.

What he doesn't realize is, when "the one" comes in to his life (if she ever does) all bets are off, so to speak.

Some men just can't see themselves ever wanting to be married, but when the right woman comes along it's all they can do to get to the alter, lol.

All it really means is, you weren't "the one" for him - but that DOES NOT mean there was a thing wrong with you or that you did anything wrong.

People take rejection like this so personally - and I know it's hard not to - but most of the time there was really nothing you could have done - the chemistry just was not there, that's all
And to be fair as a guy, I can guarantee that some of us say this because we are not really into you. But whether he genuinely changed his mind or he wasn't into you, the result is the same, you aint marrying this guy.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,815 times
I'm glad I am not married to this guy now--looking back--but woulnd't it be nice if er could get the message out to all single and dating women out there so they can be sparred a rough breakup?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I've seen this happen a lot, and not only at the marriage level but the relationship level as well. I've been told sooo many times by men that they were only interested in 'casual' dating or 'being friends first and seeing where it goes' and then BOOM they're in a relationship very soon after with another woman.

It just means they weren't into you and didn't consider you good enough for them. Fairly straightforward.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I'm glad I am not married to this guy now--looking back--but woulnd't it be nice if er could get the message out to all single and dating women out there so they can be sparred a rough breakup?
I don't know honey, how would that really work?

I mean, what "message" would you really want to get out? "John Smith says he is NEVER going to marry - date at your own risk if marriage is important to you!"

Well, really, if we would just all learn to believe folks when they tell us who they are, we'd all be better off

Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
What do you care, OP? You're already married. My husband had a kid with his ex, he doesn't have a relationship with his 1 and only son.
Angelinajolie, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships