Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times

Advertisements

It amazes me to no end that sellers - even in this market - feel they are holier than thou. Don't use the toilet (why? Are you hiding something? Or are you just being a ********? We'll want to see it flush *anyway* when the INSPECTOR comes around ), don't step on my pristine yet 5+ year old and worn down carpets (excuse me, did you put out a sign saying take off your shoes or use shoe slippers?), don't sit at my table (uhh ... what?) don't read my HOA bylaws/CCR's ( oh my word ... we'll have to get those anyway, what's the point of this pet peeve?) don't touch the blinds (wanna see the outside too ... and it's easy-peasy to put them back) don't ... don't ... don't.

What point of selling a house do you people not get? Once you put it on sale, you're no better than the flea market seller. That's the best analog I can think of, and quite apt too. People will want to check that their BIGGEST INVESTMENT IN THEIR LIFETIME will be worth it! You had the same anxiety when going through a place that you will incur significant debt to "own" unless money is no issue with you ... in which case, give me some while you're at it, you obviously don't need it all.

to be perfectly honest, I feel sorry for your agents if you hold this attitude. They obviously won't want to deal with you. Further, no sellers in their right mind will want the current owners lording over them. Even if I loved loved loved the house, I'd put out a snarky attitude and walk after putting in a bid, just to spite them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at.
You can say that as many times as you like. That doesn't mean people agree with you or will follow it.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
You know extremes on either end aren't good. Both parties need to respect the needs of the other. The fact is it is really stressful for sellers having people come into their home. I'd love to say that all agents and buyers are respectful but some agents just don't prepare their buyers for home buying etiquette.

Yes, out here I will open closed blinds. Natural light is a big deal in our gray neck of the woods and we open them all to see how good the light is. I've had them fall off while doing so. I've had them get stuck because they don't work properly. Out here blinds convey with the property so at least the buyers know that they are broken before an offer. My rule is that I leave things in the same condition I found them. If your lights are on when I enter, I leave them on unless you ask me to turn them off for you on my way out. If you have booties or a sign asking us to remove our shoes we will do so, unless your carpet is foul. For those places shoes stay on.

It is fair for sellers to expect that their home be respected while they leave for buyers. It is also fair for buyers to be able to open doors and operate anything that is a fixture that conveys with the property.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at.
Most people will disagree with you. If it grosses you out or you think it is beyond rude, just place a sign on the bathroom door asking buyers not to use your bathrooms. I've seen that once in my 8 years as an agent. My buyers, who didn't have to go, thought it was rude.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
It does make me think some sellers are a bit wacky. It is almost as if they think they are selling a toaster. People are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those people want a good poke around before they make an offer.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes, out here I will open closed blinds. Natural light is a big deal in our gray neck of the woods and we open them all to see how good the light is. I've had them fall off while doing so. I've had them get stuck because they don't work properly.
The other day I signed up a new listing and I was taking photos. The owner was there and was trying to help me get a window blind all the way up in the eating area of the kitchen. He must have broken something because when I came back to the house an hour later for the broker's open house it was hanging down only on one side. I quickly found a screwdriver and removed all the blinds in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
My rule is that I leave things in the same condition I found them. If your lights are on when I enter, I leave them on unless you ask me to turn them off for you on my way out. If you have booties or a sign asking us to remove our shoes we will do so, unless your carpet is foul. For those places shoes stay on.

It is fair for sellers to expect that their home be respected while they leave for buyers. It is also fair for buyers to be able to open doors and operate anything that is a fixture that conveys with the property.
I agree ideally people should treat others as they would want to be treated. The reality of the situation is that not all people think that way. Even some people who do treat their own belongings like ***** so they treat your house like ***** too. All the showings in my town are accompanied showings so I do have some control over what people are doing, but I always prepare my seller clients for the fact that some people may be disrespectful of their house (even though I will ask them not to be) and that at some point in time all their drawers, cabinets, and closets will be opened by a potential buyer.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
I equate opening cabinet doors, flushing the toilet, turning lights on/off, turning on heat or air similar to taking a car for a test drive. Except that a house costs a lot more, usually.

I wonder if the OP buys a car without driving it.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It does make me think some sellers are a bit wacky. It is almost as if they think they are selling a toaster. People are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those people want a good poke around before they make an offer.
A lot of buyers I had go through my house in Arizona were beyond anything you could describe as wacky. My house was in pristine shape and they'd have weird comments or strange obsessions. I think plenty could be diagnosed as OCD.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
We need a top ten list here:
10) They're going to test flush the toilets anyway.
9) When you gotta go... you gotta go.

1) If you were there, and they asked... would you refuse them?
Agree
Agree
No, I wouldn't refuse them - it's not that big a deal.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
It amazes me to no end that sellers - even in this market - feel they are holier than thou. Don't use the toilet (why? Are you hiding something? Or are you just being a ********? We'll want to see it flush *anyway* when the INSPECTOR comes around ), don't step on my pristine yet 5+ year old and worn down carpets (excuse me, did you put out a sign saying take off your shoes or use shoe slippers?), don't sit at my table (uhh ... what?) don't read my HOA bylaws/CCR's ( oh my word ... we'll have to get those anyway, what's the point of this pet peeve?) don't touch the blinds (wanna see the outside too ... and it's easy-peasy to put them back) don't ... don't ... don't.

What point of selling a house do you people not get? Once you put it on sale, you're no better than the flea market seller. That's the best analog I can think of, and quite apt too. People will want to check that their BIGGEST INVESTMENT IN THEIR LIFETIME will be worth it! You had the same anxiety when going through a place that you will incur significant debt to "own" unless money is no issue with you ... in which case, give me some while you're at it, you obviously don't need it all.

to be perfectly honest, I feel sorry for your agents if you hold this attitude. They obviously won't want to deal with you. Further, no sellers in their right mind will want the current owners lording over them. Even if I loved loved loved the house, I'd put out a snarky attitude and walk after putting in a bid, just to spite them.
I'm not talking about looking at the house thoroughly and getting a good home inspection before you buy. I'm talking about an attitude like yourself. You are the snarky one who thinks they are beyond common courtesy. You are the buyer and anything you want you will get.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-30-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate