Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:44 PM

133 posts, read 110,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
We have a Eufy system; a wired doorbell camera (uses former doorbell wiring & transformer) plus three wireless perimeter cameras. I love it. I've had the system for two years or so. No complaints and I would highly recommend it. Yes, you need to recharge the wireless cameras a couple of times a year, but that doesn't bother me. I did a lot of research before committing to Eufy, and I have no regrets. On the inside of our home, however, we use SimpliSafe. Also great. We do pay a monthly (optional) fee for monitoring with SimpliSafe, but it costs half of what we used to pay with another well-known national firm.
Eufy seems to have more good reviews vs bad ones compared to the others. Plus, it has a storage base that holds all video locally. The solar powered 4k cameras seem to be very welled liked as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh72 View Post
My wife would like a doorbell camera and 2-3 cameras around the perimeter of our home. I do not want to involve a subscription or fee type service and prefer a wireless setup. I’ve looked online, and there appear to be a few to choose from (night owl ,eufy, and Argo) with mixed reviews.

I was hoping that someone has had first hand experience (Good & Bad) with any of these systems, or any other brand.
We used Blink XT and XT2 cameras which we purchased circa 2018. They may have been replaced with newer models as I don't see them on the page anymore. Wireless and battery operated (we got 3-4 years out of each battery) and has two way communication. The system is scalable so you can add as many cameras as you feel necessary. There is no monthly user fee and I have no complaints about the cameras or the service.

https://blinkforhome.com/

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh72 View Post
Eufy seems to have more good reviews vs bad ones compared to the others. Plus, it has a storage base that holds all video locally. The solar powered 4k cameras seem to be very welled liked as well.
I have a Eufy system and no complaints so far

Old Today, 05:44 AM

325 posts, read 184,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I personally use and recommend wired security cameras since they are harder to jam and less likely to fail when needed most. Unfortunately wired setups cost an arm and a leg to install unless you run the wiring yourself.

For wireless, I'd go with Wyze cameras since they have local storage, can be accessed remotely and don't require a subscription.

Wired's the way to go. The baddies are wising up now and use a WiFi jammer when breaking into a house. Your entire security system can be disabled if it relies on WiFi.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Wired's the way to go. The baddies are wising up now and use a WiFi jammer when breaking into a house. Your entire security system can be disabled if it relies on WiFi.
The problem for burglers these days isn't necessarily the camera/system at the house you are breaking into, it is all of the neighbor's camera that capture their car pulling up, etc. Of course, for a simple burglary, the police may not be going to the neighbors for footage.

Old Today, 01:17 PM

325 posts, read 184,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The problem for burglers these days isn't necessarily the camera/system at the house you are breaking into, it is all of the neighbor's camera that capture their car pulling up, etc. Of course, for a simple burglary, the police may not be going to the neighbors for footage.

A $70 raspberry pi running Kismet will deauth every wifi device within a 100 ft radius. That'll cover the ring camera from across the street.

There was speculation on Reddit some UPS drivers are jamming wifi so irate customers can't record them hurling 70" flat screens over the fence. Suckers, mine's hardwired.

Last edited by DeepImpact; Today at 01:35 PM..

Old Today, 02:11 PM

237 posts, read 238,208 times
I can confirm the above experiences. For a while Amazon, FedEx and UPS deliveries would mysteriously not trigger my wifi connected ring doorbell pro, but the hardwired CCTV system sent out motion alerts and recorded the footage to local storage (networked DVR) just fine.

Old Today, 02:28 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Reolink Doorbell cameras are 2.4/5ghz and ONVIF compliant. All their products are excellent and can be managed locally with no subs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary