Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 12:18 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,761,232 times

Advertisements

What happened to all of the people and regular postings on here? Even a year ago, there were most posts on this message board. Have people just moved on from the negativity? Maybe people just read these days.

Or perhaps Reddit groups have more users and allow easier question asking than on here. Reddit subgroups include Triangle, Raleigh, Cary, bullcity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 12:28 PM

240 posts, read 239,508 times
  • Most construction projects are in the "boring middle" stage
  • Job market slowed down which means less northerners wanting to know more about "Raleigh-Durham"
  • Housing market inventory is stale at the lower to mid range and interest rates are staying high, which means less threads about "cheap housing in Raleigh-Durham"
  • More people are being called back to work from the office
  • Election season is here so most of the focus has shifted to politics rather than the usual forum discussions

All that's left are restaurant and crime topics and most of those have 1000 copies of the same thread already archived. Most crime topics devolve into off topic discussions (guilty of this myself too) and end up censored/deleted by the mods.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:31 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
I mostly come on here once a week and browse - far more active users on Reddit with slightly less drama than on here.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:48 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Forums are slowing down all over the place. It is a common discussion among owners and admins on their admin community forums.

Social media, reddit, what have you, compete for members. Too bad, IMO, as I really prefer the forum format and structure myself, over those other options.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:21 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
I have also seen a big slow-down in the Coastal NC thread. Initially, I though it was because the same questions have been asked multiple times about the best place to retire. Now the rising interest rates and rising prices make it too difficult to buy. Subsets of the population, like Marine families around Jacksonville use other social media. Greenville has a lively discussion thread, but it is limited to those living there.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:28 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I mostly come on here once a week and browse - far more active users on Reddit with slightly less drama than on here.
I don't agree with the Reddit drama comment. That place can get crazy, same with Twitter/X - or maybe it's just the fact that upvotes and downvotes are visible on Reddit as opposed to here.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:40 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I don't agree with the Reddit drama comment. That place can get crazy, same with Twitter/X - or maybe it's just the fact that upvotes and downvotes are visible on Reddit as opposed to here.
Well at least the Raleigh/Triangle specific subs.

There are definitely crazy subreddits with a ton of drama but that's their equivalent of the politics forum here.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:51 PM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Have people just moved on from the negativity?
^^^ A little bit of that^. The main reason (for me) is that I used to participate in the P&OC forum regluarly, which had me here "in the neighborhood" so I would visit here too. The P&OC got very toxic, and the moderators over there were doing some some serious censoring of certain points of view. When it became clear that open discussion was not wanted there, I stopped visiting that forum, and have not been back since.

How does that relate to your question? Well, that paired with the reduced traffic here has just reduced a lot of reasons for my visiting CD at all. I still visit here, but if there are no new interesting topics I move on.

I spend more time on Reddit these days. Easily as toxic as P&OC ever was, but they at least allow all points of view to comment, so I get more value out of it because I can hear and discuss opposing ideas. That has resulted in me getting more and more on the Raleigh subreddit, thus causing even less time here.

This forum is moderated pretty well, but the P&OC (I believe) was a main draw to get people in, and they have pushed a LOT of people away. CD should look at that. A lot of regulars left before I did, so it is not just me.

I know I'm not supposed to comment on moderators, and like I said, the moderation here is mostly pretty good. But P&OC is what drove me (and I know many others) away.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:35 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
^^^ A little bit of that^. The main reason (for me) is that I used to participate in the P&OC forum regluarly, which had me here "in the neighborhood" so I would visit here too. The P&OC got very toxic, and the moderators over there were doing some some serious censoring of certain points of view. When it became clear that open discussion was not wanted there, I stopped visiting that forum, and have not been back since.

How does that relate to your question? Well, that paired with the reduced traffic here has just reduced a lot of reasons for my visiting CD at all. I still visit here, but if there are no new interesting topics I move on.

I spend more time on Reddit these days. Easily as toxic as P&OC ever was, but they at least allow all points of view to comment, so I get more value out of it because I can hear and discuss opposing ideas. That has resulted in me getting more and more on the Raleigh subreddit, thus causing even less time here.

This forum is moderated pretty well, but the P&OC (I believe) was a main draw to get people in, and they have pushed a LOT of people away. CD should look at that. A lot of regulars left before I did, so it is not just me.

I know I'm not supposed to comment on moderators, and like I said, the moderation here is mostly pretty good. But P&OC is what drove me (and I know many others) away.
P&OC serves its purpose well.
It was established to be the grease trap and septic system for the CD ecosystem, to separate the crap from the decent folks.
Before P&OC and Great Debates, other forums were much more polluted because there was no other outlet.
I respect the purpose and result and avoid P&OC like any other cesspool.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:48 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
IMO City Data just doesn't have a healthy flow of new posters any more to support the churn. This website still looks like 2010 and just doesn't appeal to people in that 18 - 45 year old range. There are close to 0 postings like "Hey, I'm graduating college and looking to move to a new city. What do you think about XYZ for a young professional?" Those types of conversations happen on other websites now. Posts here seem to be empty nesters and retirees, et... 55 year old moms asking where they should get an apartment for their adult child, et.

This poll from 2018 had 57% of people on this site over 50... which feels about accurate. Its probably starting to skew closer to age 60+ now: https://www.city-data.com/forum/abou...a-forum-3.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary