Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 01:27 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times

Advertisements

Most people who are self confident and aware they have an edge when it comes to looks don’t really have a need to state it matter of factly or not . Add to that they may be humble enough to recognize that looks are in the eye of the beholder and that looks fade and they’d better develop an interior beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 03:05 PM

48 posts, read 29,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think when OP says "acknowledge," I think they mean interally. Not going around and actually saying it. At least that's how I am and how I see it. I know that I am attractive because well simply put....people tell me that I am and the way they treat me reflects that. Also I take very good care of myself (exercising, balanced diet, daily internal work). I tend to acknowledge it in a matter of fact fashion because it's really not that serious. Yes sometimes it's nice when people compliment me or do nice things for me because they like the way I look, but has anything truly meaningful happened because of it? No not really. It can also put me in some really awkard situations, as I don't really care for a lot of attention nor am I interested in attracting a partner. I rely on intellect, personality, and skills in order to acheive the things I want and need. Some people think it's strange that I don't "behave" a certain type of way because I'm attractive. But either way it goes, I know I'm just another person trying to figure out this thing called life.

BTW: I think being attractive and being unnattractive are extreme sides of the coin. I believe majority of people are average looking. "Extreme beauty" and "extreme unattractiveness" is rare. Most people fall in the middle. And being average, you would be surprised how far a decent exercsie routine, grooming practices, balanced diet, and learning to be more self ware can go. Just speaking from my own personal exeprience.
As one who is similar to you I can relate.

There is a major downside to being "attractive" which most will consider as superior physical traits.

In my younger years I have experienced jealously and envy by other heterosexual men .

It's obvious when one interacts with those who feel threatened by us.

So for all the "average" looking people out there, being attractive has it's drawbacks....

Old 04-06-2024, 04:22 PM

867 posts, read 456,969 times
Can well relate with what your saying Gabor l've delt with it my whole life up until just of late, 50s now.
With me though, l'd seen this in some pretty girls to back in younger days but l had no idea l was anything special or different in looks at all.
l knew l was taller than most and noticed l was treated differently, but looks wise didn't even cross my mind.
l knew a lot of guys didn't like me might even pick a fight, and l knew girls did like me, l just didn't get why.
l thought apart from being tall it was all just that l get along with girls and women well.
lt wasn't until maybe even 30s, before l realized looks were part of it to.
People would say stuff, even guys, l hated it. l use to think looks are for women not men, l never knew wtf to say back. So l started shaving my head, grew a mow and bit of a beard, dressing right down, once l realized it was looks to l just wanted to blend in and be normal. Being un noticed was a dream to me.
l even just wanted to be older and lose whatever this look thing was.
Well, as l say 50s now, l still stand out, but l'm more at peace these days and thankfully don't look the ways l use to but unfortunately compared to most, l'm still cursed.
So there ya go any guys that wish they looked like this or that, your lucky you don't so be thankful l say.

Last edited by randomx; 04-06-2024 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-06-2024, 04:27 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
I find it refreshing when woman are honest about their looks, as long as it does not come off as bragging. A friend was describing a situation and said something like "he saw a pretty woman...." referring to herself. I thought it was awesome that she didn't pretend otherwise but it was not boastful. What is annoying to me is when an obviously attractive woman referring to herself as ugly. .

Old 04-06-2024, 04:50 PM

Maybe not as a woman gets older , the penny eventuality drops. But l can say in younger days l came across girls that had no idea how stunning they were.
l use to think it was quite funny.
Even a gf l had back in my 20s , l could not believe she'd even be interested in me, could not believe it. You couldn't have found a prettier girl from body to face yet she was the humblest most dte person l'd ever met in those ways.
l'd liked her for a few yrs she was within a group of people l knew but l didn't think she'd even remotely be interested in me but ha, she told me later she didn't think l'd remotely be interested in her, she literally had no idea of her looks.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:16 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I find it refreshing when woman are honest about their looks, as long as it does not come off as bragging. A friend was describing a situation and said something like "he saw a pretty woman...." referring to herself. I thought it was awesome that she didn't pretend otherwise but it was not boastful. What is annoying to me is when an obviously attractive woman referring to herself as ugly. .
Well, just because other people think she's attractive, doesn't mean that she believes she is.. There are plenty of attractive women who are insecure about their looks.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:08 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What is annoying to me is when an obviously attractive woman referring to herself as ugly. .
I can’t say I have ever seen that happen in my life.

I would probably ask her out on a date if she did that.

LOL

Old 04-07-2024, 01:32 PM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There is that thing that the more socially agreeable you are the more attractive people will perceive you to be. Presentation is important. A smile is your friend.

And a word about false humility. That was a common practice where I grew up. It might have been a cultural trait or coping mechanism that our immigrant population adopted to stave off unwanted attention or envy. In my home culture it was considered bad form to ever admit to anything others didn't have. Most of us tried not to look more wealthy, important, more talented than anyone else. It was sure to raise community criticism. This is probably true in most cultures.

If anyone complimented you the socially correct response was to deny that you were any different than anyone else. That was considered gracious. But actually I always thought it was a demonstration of dishonesty, false humility.

I hadn't recognized how much we had carried that silent rule along with us until one day after dinner my young daughter said, "Good meal, Mom," and I answered, "Yes, it was, wasn't it?" She looked startled and told me I wasn't supposed to agree. That sounded like bragging!

But I feel a bit different about superficial attractiveness which has just entered the conversation. If someone told me I was attractive I think I would feel awkward, even if I thought so, to say, "Yes, I am, aren't I?" It's just not in our book of socially approved phrases.
I was raised pretty much that way too. In class I didn't speak out too much. I didn't want to be seen as a "know-it-all" (that doesn't mean I didn't try to get the best grades possible-I just didn't publicize it). It was tough to get out of that mode when interviewing in college. You weren't supposed to brag about yourself.

But someone can acknowledge they are attractive in a non-boastful way.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:42 PM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
Can well relate with what your saying Gabor l've delt with it my whole life up until just of late, 50s now.
With me though, l'd seen this in some pretty girls to back in younger days but l had no idea l was anything special or different in looks at all.
l knew l was taller than most and noticed l was treated differently, but looks wise didn't even cross my mind.
l knew a lot of guys didn't like me might even pick a fight, and l knew girls did like me, l just didn't get why.
l thought apart from being tall it was all just that l get along with girls and women well.
lt wasn't until maybe even 30s, before l realized looks were part of it to.
People would say stuff, even guys, l hated it. l use to think looks are for women not men, l never knew wtf to say back. So l started shaving my head, grew a mow and bit of a beard, dressing right down, once l realized it was looks to l just wanted to blend in and be normal. Being un noticed was a dream to me.
l even just wanted to be older and lose whatever this look thing was.
Well, as l say 50s now, l still stand out, but l'm more at peace these days and thankfully don't look the ways l use to but unfortunately compared to most, l'm still cursed.
So there ya go any guys that wish they looked like this or that, your lucky you don't so be thankful l say.
Yours and Gabors posts are surprising to me.

I don't remember anyone not liking the handsome guys who were nice. Now the jerks, yes.
The guy in my graduating class who was voted most likely to succeed was a football player, tall, handsome, 3rd in the class and it seemed like everyone liked him. I didn't know him well, but he seemed nice and I never heard anything bad about him.

Now maybe I was just in different types of circles. Us nerds weren't trying to compete with them.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:56 PM

Well , l obviously wasn't comfortable with any of it so l was hardly the jerk kind, the opposite in fact.
lt wasn't until later on and a bit older though l realized any hassles from other guys was the sort of thing Gabor was talking about.
But ldk, one of the more arrogant jerky kinds probably thrive on it all but that wasn't me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology