Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:03 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I decided to be a nice Auntie and buy some GS cookies from a grand niece…..they ship them now. For $6. you get a 9 oz box of cookies. Minimum order to ship is 4, and shipping cost is $12.95. If my math is right, that’s about $1.00 per ounce.

I’m thinking it is time for the Girl Scouts to pivot and find a better fundraiser. Caviar, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 06:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I think it's a good cause and it used to be something to help teach the girls use some skills, maybe it still is. But at the current prices I think it's cheaper just to outright donate to the cause instead of buying cookies at over inflated costs! I bought some several years ago and IMO the quality of the cookies has gone down too.
One of my co-workers recently brought in one of the cookie sign up sheets for people to order from. We used to use those when my kids were little and our sheets always filled up pretty fast. This one has been posted for three weeks and has only three orders, that's just sad.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:33 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think it's a good cause and it used to be something to help teach the girls use some skills, maybe it still is. But at the current prices I think it's cheaper just to outright donate to the cause instead of buying cookies at over inflated costs! I bought some several years ago and IMO the quality of the cookies has gone down too.
One of my co-workers recently brought in one of the cookie sign up sheets for people to order from. We used to use those when my kids were little and our sheets always filled up pretty fast. This one has been posted for three weeks and has only three orders, that's just sad.
I think they are shielding the girls from the reality of the way commerce works. In real life, nobody would buy the cookies. They would buy cookies that are worth the cost. Now, it’s like a Girl Scout welfare program.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I haven't bought any in many years, but someone at work gave me a box. I was amazed at how light it was. Once open, I could see that the clear plastic holder took up a lot of the space, so there were not nearly as many cookies as you would expect. They were the Caramel DeLites 7 oz. "box" which was just a foil wrap. I was amazed to see how low the calories and sugar count were on the label, until I saw how small they were. I suppose family members will buy them to help out a girl's fund raising goals, but it's certainly not anything close to getting value. Checking on Amazon, where the 7 oz. DeLites are $12.90, you can get two 25.5 oz. packs of Oreos for the same cost.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I got burned out with GS Cookies after my granddaughters reached the age where they no longer sold them. Same with Jerry Lewis' annual Labor Day telethon. Both ran their course as fundraisers for me.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:06 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
When my granddaughter was in the GS, the only thing she did with them was a monthly meeting where they did little things or planted plants after school at their elementary school and then they had the option to go to summer camp for a week where they learned crafts and yard games like horseshoes and archery. They were not taught how to camp or make fires or anything. They were allowed to go horseback riding and swimming but only if you were already experienced.

I always bought a few boxes and also gave money to send some overseas to our troops. But she's not in GS anymore so I no longer support them, especially after I saw how little they really do.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I got some this year after several years - much smaller packaging, etc. - Not sure what the org. really does. It's not like they are so super-great that I couldn't live w/o them.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:08 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Someone dumped their Girl Scout cookies on me a few years ago...they were gross. I've never purchased any and probably never will.

Last year two young ladies (12ish) came to my place of business selling homemade cookies, a stack of six thick cookies wrapped in a cellophane wrapper and tied with a ribbon. I bought a pack for $5...hey, at least they were doing the work and making the effort of going door to door to pitch their product. Budding entrepreneurs?

Old 02-15-2024, 11:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Granddaughters troop stopped selling them about 3 years ago because they were getting complaints about quality, the high cost and the fact they only got 10 cents from each dollar sale.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:58 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I stopped buying them three years ago after the Girl Scouts jumped on the DEI bandwagon. (I absolutely support diversity,, inclusion and equality, but I have a big problem with the equity part of DEI.) https://www.girlscouts.org/en/discov...l-justice.html

Before then, I probably bought four boxes a year on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews