Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 05:15 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised there are few comparisons to the 2011 Occupy movement.

I remember much the same anti-protestor rhetoric about that; a lot of people claiming that these dirty hippies were going to destroy the various cities in which they were camped out. They occasionally had conflict with the police.

It did peter out after a while, but lasted the better part of a year.

The big difference today is the race angle, and more intensity in the "red zones." In Portland's case it has one of the hottest red zones focused on the justice center.

But in general, I feel the BLM protests are going to peter out sooner than a lot of you think, just like Occupy did. It'll go out with a wimper. Portland seems to have the role that Oakland held during Occupy.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-31-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 05:34 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don’t think you got the point at all. There’s apparently no unity even among protestors. It’s not “us vs them” it’s a complete free for all. Even the mayor got both gassed by feds and booed by protestors. It’s called chaos.
So you got that notion from this?

Quote:
I guess the Wall of Moms is one of those "white supremacist" infiltrator groups we hear so much about.
Many of these are fledgling grass roots movements, of course there is storming and norming going on.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:26 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
So you got that notion from this?

Many of these are fledgling grass roots movements, of course there is storming and norming going on.
For outsiders looking in, it’s an absolute train wreck. Right now it appears there’s a lot of angry white people in Portland really upset about treatment of black people in other cities and states, long after the actual Black people in those places have pretty much moved on. There’s just something odd about being more passionate about someone else’s causes than they are.
Not sure why everybody wants to burn down a court house or why it’s so controversial that the feds are trying to stop people from burning down a court house. Then your mayor shows up and gets gassed by the feds and apparently booed by protestors. And where are the Portland and Oregon police in all this? They really had to negotiate with the feds to do their own jobs? And then up pops a “wall of mom’s” against a “wall of tear gas”.

If anything it’s good theater for the rest of us, but it really does illustrate who not to trust with power on any national level.

In the end, with no unity or coherent goals, it’s all just going to end up one embarrassing waste of time.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
For outsiders looking in, it’s an absolute train wreck. Right now it appears there’s a lot of angry white people in Portland really upset about treatment of black people in other cities and states, long after the actual Black people in those places have pretty much moved on. There’s just something odd about being more passionate about someone else’s causes than they are.
Not sure why everybody wants to burn down a court house or why it’s so controversial that the feds are trying to stop people from burning down a court house. Then your mayor shows up and gets gassed by the feds and apparently booed by protestors. And where are the Portland and Oregon police in all this? They really had to negotiate with the feds to do their own jobs? And then up pops a “wall of mom’s” against a “wall of tear gas”.

If anything it’s good theater for the rest of us, but it really does illustrate who not to trust with power on any national level.

In the end, with no unity or coherent goals, it’s all just going to end up one embarrassing waste of time.
Portland is a dominantly white city, but there are still black people in this city and black people leading events and groups like Don't Shoot Portland. I'm getting a little tired of acting like there aren't ANY black people in the city, and NONE of them are protesting in Portland. The murder of George Floyd raised awareness so even white people can't deny what happens, and so white people come to help protest with black people.

I went down in front of the courthouse and justice center today. Businesses are 50% boarded up windows, almost all were open that would be given the covid impacts. That building is post 9/11 fortified, you really think some fireworks and graffiti are going to harm it? I expected more damage and graffiti by this point frankly in a couple block area.

You should drive/bicycle down there and take a look with your own eyes, then you'd understand how ridiculous you sound to people who have. The lingering smell of tear gas I could do without, but it sounds like since the feds have left and police have been keeping a low profile, things have been pretty chill. Bad for you fear mongering Federal force fans I suppose.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:11 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
Portland is a dominantly white city, but there are still black people in this city and black people leading events and groups like Don't Shoot Portland. I'm getting a little tired of acting like there aren't ANY black people in the city, and NONE of them are protesting in Portland. The murder of George Floyd raised awareness so even white people can't deny what happens, and so white people come to help protest with black people.

I went down in front of the courthouse and justice center today. Businesses are 50% boarded up windows, almost all were open that would be given the covid impacts. That building is post 9/11 fortified, you really think some fireworks and graffiti are going to harm it? I expected more damage and graffiti by this point frankly in a couple block area.

You should drive/bicycle down there and take a look with your own eyes, then you'd understand how ridiculous you sound to people who have. The lingering smell of tear gas I could do without, but it sounds like since the feds have left and police have been keeping a low profile, things have been pretty chill. Bad for you fear mongering Federal force fans I suppose.
Sure. Pretty chill for what in many places could here pared a disaster zone.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:33 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Portland police smash window, slash tires of woman’s Prius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe6W9_APNU

Old 08-04-2020, 07:31 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,107 times
Cracks in the party line.

Quote:
I’m the Police Chief in Portland. Violence Isn’t the Answer.
As a Black man and a public servant, I see that spectacle is drowning out the voices that need to be heard to make positive change. . . .

The night of May 29 was a pivotal moment for our city. Hundreds of people, in a coordinated effort, attacked the Justice Center, which includes our Central Precinct station and the Multnomah County Detention Center. They broke into the building, destroyed the first-floor interior and lit fires. Afterward, there was looting and destruction downtown. . . .

On one night, for example, individuals screwed the doors of our North Precinct station shut, barricaded other entrances and lit the station on fire with people inside. Nearby businesses, owned by people of color, were damaged and looted. On other nights, there were multiple attempts to breach the Justice Center. Other law enforcement facilities were targeted, including the union building, which was broken into and had fires set within.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/o...tPosition=3bbc

Old 08-04-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
How so?

Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,107 times
The "it's just some fireworks and graffiti" narrative goes up in smoke.

Quote:
Portland Chief Chuck Lovell decries latest violence outside police buildings:

“Enough is enough,’' Lovell said. “This is not forwarding the goals” of the Black Lives Movement, he said.

Lovell said it’s one thing if people have a desire to speak out against racial inequities, but “if you’re trying to burn, burglarize buildings or throw Molotov cocktails, rocks or other things that injure officers ... to me, there’s no message there.”. . .

On Tuesday night, police reported that some people broke into the Portland Police Association’s office on North Lombard Street. Police declared a riot. . . Police said they arrested three people on allegations including riot, disorderly conduct and interfering with a police officer. They said protesters started several fires on the streets around the police union building, tagged the office with graffiti, tried to pull plywood off the doors and windows and eventually broke in to the building. Some people threw rocks and bricks, hitting several officers, police said.
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...age-there.html

Old 08-06-2020, 04:22 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Portland police smash window, slash tires of woman’s Prius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe6W9_APNU
"Zippy" (lol) got off light.

If she had been a non-protester trying to drive on a road being illegally blocked she would have had her car trashed and beat the living s**t beat out of her.

As far as her "Press" sign on her car, the violent thugs have co-opted that since they are wearing them now.

She wanted to play in the big leagues, well Zippy, sometimes you get hurt.

What a sniveling crybaby.

Last edited by doc1; 08-06-2020 at 05:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland