Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:42 PM

43,437 posts, read 18,540,239 times

Advertisements

With all the min wage hikes...$50K is now considered LOW INCOME.

Think about that one.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:44 PM

34,194 posts, read 47,492,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Can the hotel workers live in California on what they are currently earning at those jobs? How many of those jobs do they have to work?

I talked to a limo driver some years ago who was working three jobs just to stay living in California. He was a 5th generation Californian and the last one of his siblings/cousins who was still holding on there. The rest of the family had been forced out.
These types of jobs are only supposed to be for high school/college kids or retirees, supposedly

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 01:02 PM

78,751 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Yep. I've seen this sort of thing (and related gimmicks) here in Florida an eye-watering amount. A lot of "contractors" are just shell companies, too. Some of the contractors being used here in Ocala by Home Depot some-odd years ago were registered to addresses in town that were vacant lots or condemned buildings, lol.
Yeah when Mexico is in a World Cup game, it's like a national holiday at the meat processors. (I live in a rural area)

Old Today, 01:04 PM

26,059 posts, read 22,259,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hotels hire "contractors" that then pay illegals less and then be able to claim they didn't know what was occurring.

Lots of major companies do this.
Yes, smaller town in KS had 3 or 4 temp agencies, and a few producers of dog food and meat. They hired through the temp agencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Can the hotel workers live in California on what they are currently earning at those jobs? How many of those jobs do they have to work?

I talked to a limo driver some years ago who was working three jobs just to stay living in California. He was a 5th generation Californian and the last one of his siblings/cousins who was still holding on there. The rest of the family had been forced out.
No, they cannot, and when they can't, WE the taxpayers subsidize them and their children with public housing, food stamps and cash! I don't want to subsidize these workers, actually WE are subsidizing the businesses that do this. Can't afford the cost to eat out or stay at a hotel, well, too bad!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
These types of jobs are only supposed to be for high school/college kids or retirees, supposedly
Unfortunately, these are the jobs that are created. Get an education? Big tech keeps laying off people by the thousands. But, they need workers in the healthcare industry, yes, workers for nursing homes, or other nursing assistants, and that doesn't pay well either. Move to a different city or state, that works great if one has a few thousand to make the move, and I have seen them move for a job that dumps them in 90 days and they are begging on the street. (AZ)

Some here don't get "cost of living", McDonald's here pays $12.00 an hour (minimum wage here is $7.25 an hour) and we have a low cost of living ($12 isn't all that much here). My current city in KS vs South San Francisco: 184.1% higher to live in South San Francisco. Housing there is 643% higher. (per Best Places - run your city there).

Sorry, I have the crappy weather in KS, so all those enjoying the nice weather, get credit cards out as you get no sympathy from me!

Old Today, 01:07 PM

26,849 posts, read 22,679,152 times
By the sound of it, they want to turn California into what Northern Europe once was - i.e. everyone makes "livable salary," no huge gaps in incomes, plus plenty of social programs.

Except for THAT Europe already collapsed because of mass migration from the third world countries.

Just saying.

Old Today, 01:28 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,015,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
When I stayed at a hotel in Germany, there was an option to put a bag on the lock and receive a small gift in lieu of room cleaning.

A smart hotel in California can offer a $25 discount every day when a room doesn't need cleaning.
I don't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that had daily cleaning.

Old Today, 01:30 PM

6,231 posts, read 3,438,568 times
Soon, the only people who will be able to afford to stay in a hotel will be the elite and the illegal immigrants.

How will the penniless illegal immigrants be able to afford it? With our tax dollars, of course.

Old Today, 01:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 1,783,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
When I stayed at a hotel in Germany, there was an option to put a bag on the lock and receive a small gift in lieu of room cleaning.

A smart hotel in California can offer a $25 discount every day when a room doesn't need cleaning.
That would be nice. I always opt out of room cleaning, even for a 5 night stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Soon, the only people who will be able to afford to stay in a hotel will be the elite and the illegal immigrants.

How will the penniless illegal immigrants be able to afford it? With our tax dollars, of course.
Yes hotels are getting ridiculous. My wife and I wanted to do a little staycation memorial day weekend. We had nothing going on so wanted to do something. I looked at Temecula and basic ***** hotels are going for 3-400/ night! WTF. I dunno who Temecula think they are. They aren't that great and there are many regions with better wine.

Old Today, 01:38 PM

26,045 posts, read 19,028,518 times
What they are demanding (and are too dense to see it) is that the cost of living rise exponentially.

Old Today, 02:01 PM

11,345 posts, read 11,097,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Motel 6, where are rooms are now $300 a night. We'll keep a light on for you....if we can afford the light bill.
I remember taking trips with my parents in the mid to late 80's and Motel 6's were $19.99/night for a single and $6 for each additional person. If it was in a high tourist area it was maxed out at $29.99/night and same for additional person. It was perfect for anyone just looking to rest up after a strenuous day of travelling or sightseeing. Nothing elaborate, but decent basics for the price.

The last time I stayed in a Motel 6 was about 4 years ago (and it will be the last time ever) was in Yreka, CA and it was the biggest dump I've ever stayed at in my life. If I recall correctly it came out to $110 for the night. We were exhausted from the road and just wanted to crash, so we settled. Never again.

There are still a few decent ones out there, but very few and far between. The one in Gold Beach, OR is stellar for the price. Especially if you are on the 2nd floor and have a view of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies