Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 06:04 PM

24,057 posts, read 12,823,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Here's a copy of a FBI affidavit, provided to NBC News by defense attorney William Shipley.

Musician and libertarian writer who works for 'The Blaze' arrested on Jan. 6 charges

So what is it about the arrest and charges against Shipley that you think either did not happen or is mere speculation?

No facts? New Report Details the Extent of the FBI's Weaponization of Law Enforcement Against Traditional Catholics

What about that has you claiming it never happened?

We have a law suit filed against the federal government for exactly this type of media intimidation form the Biden admin. Maybe we can wait for that to finish its course?

Attorney General Ken Paxton Seeks to Stop Biden Administration from Censoring American Media Companies
Yep. But that one will find some excuse to ignore everything or twist it...as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 06:49 PM

19,136 posts, read 27,769,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
A United States President doesn't have absolute power.

Among the leading scholars and practitioners within all fields of human endeavors, many profess a concept of safety for those who are the mightiest being somewhat dependent upon whatever shields are provided for those who are among the least and otherwise unable to protect themselves.

The huge enterprises that are “too big to be permitted to fail”, are less secure if shopkeepers cannot enforce contracts with their merchandise suppliers. Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety”; "there never was a horse that couldn't be rode, or a cowboy that couldn't be throwed"; in the amid a great depression, the Supreme Court (in my opinion correctly) deemed the National Recovery Act of the extremely powerful FDR administration and congress to be unconstitutional.

That's why the U.S. Supreme Court should, and I expect they will deem U.S. Presidents answerable for their acts while in office. A United States President doesn't have absolute power.
Keeping the Balance: What a President Can Do and Cannot Do
A PRESIDENT CAN . . .

make treaties with the approval of the Senate.
veto bills and sign bills.
represent our nation in talks with foreign countries.
enforce the laws that Congress passes.
act as Commander-in-Chief during a war.
call out troops to protect our nation against an attack.
make suggestions about things that should be new laws.
lead his political party.
entertain foreign guests.
recognize foreign countries.
grant pardons.
nominate Cabinet members and Supreme Court Justices and other high officials.
appoint ambassadors.
talk directly to the people about problems.
represent the best interest of all the people
A PRESIDENT CANNOT . . .

make laws.
declare war.
decide how federal money will be spent.
interpret laws.
choose Cabinet members or Supreme Court Justices without Senate approval.

https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/educat...n-do-cannot-do

Old 05-20-2024, 07:34 PM

19,318 posts, read 17,200,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That's the spirit, keep your head buried.
Why not all you can pretty much provided is click-bait articles from a know liar Fox, so continue to enjoy your myopic view of the world.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:42 PM

8,972 posts, read 2,578,496 times
Quote:

This statement is true....however it does seem that you have no clue whatsoever what question is before SCOTUS. They aren't answering if POTUS has "absolute power", they are answering if POTUS has "absolute immunity" in relation to acts done as part of their job as the Executive.

The answer is clearly "yes"....but that doesn't mean that they have "absolute power", it just means that the kind of banana republic lawfare BS that Democrats are waging against Trump is unconstitutional and should end.

Their unprecedented attack on the US system of government that ensures the peaceful transition of power must be put down. Since lower courts were too corrupt to do so, SCOTUS must step in and restore sanity.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Here's a copy of a FBI affidavit, provided to NBC News by defense attorney William Shipley.

Musician and libertarian writer who works for 'The Blaze' arrested on Jan. 6 charges

So what is it about the arrest and charges against the Blaze reporter that you think either did not happen or is mere speculation?

No facts? New Report Details the Extent of the FBI's Weaponization of Law Enforcement Against Traditional Catholics

What about that has you claiming it never happened?

We have a law suit filed against the federal government for exactly this type of media intimidation form the Biden admin. Maybe we can wait for that to finish its course?

Attorney General Ken Paxton Seeks to Stop Biden Administration from Censoring American Media Companies
1) Musician and Libertarian writer was brought up on charges per your link "entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, licensed his footage to media outlets, and now works as a writer for Glenn Beck's "The Blaze". He was not there as a journalist and his own videos and online comments in those clips lead to the charges being placed. He was not an affiliate of The Blaze at that time.

2)No facts, his provided link showed nothing but I am suppose to know what it really meant, your link is 5 months not 15 months old. Its a shame the committee doesn't provide oversight on SCOTUS because they really need it. But this line from your link sums up all of it "how many FBI employees accessed the memorandum before its removal and cannot confirm whether any outreach occurred to Catholic parishes as a result of the memorandum."

3)A lawsuit filed, I acknowledged that he did it once but the other one does it almost every day and gets a pass every time. Stop with the pearl clutching because he was mean one time, read Truth Social and get an earful every day....

I'll give you points, at least your links had some meat unlike his Fox accusations which as I outlined said little to nothing.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:46 PM

38,319 posts, read 22,331,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
1) Musician and Libertarian writer was brought up on charges per your link "entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, licensed his footage to media outlets, and now works as a writer for Glenn Beck's "The Blaze". He was not there as a journalist and his own videos and online comments in those clips lead to the charges being placed. He was not an affiliate of The Blaze at that time.

2)No facts, his provided link showed nothing but I am suppose to know what it really meant, your link is 5 months not 15 months old. Its a shame the committee doesn't provide oversight on SCOTUS because they really need it. But this line from your link sums up all of it "how many FBI employees accessed the memorandum before its removal and cannot confirm whether any outreach occurred to Catholic parishes as a result of the memorandum."

3)A lawsuit filed, I acknowledged that he did it once but the other one does it almost every day and gets a pass every time. Stop with the pearl clutching because he was mean one time, read Truth Social and get an earful every day....

I'll give you points, at least your links had some meat unlike his Fox accusations which as I outlined said little to nothing.
He entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, and documented what was going on, then he sold his footage to media outlets. Hmm, that's what journalists do. How do you think a journalist documents what is going on, if they don't go to where the action is, video it, then earn a living by selling the videos to news media outlets???

the links i posted, they took me between 2-5 minutes to locate. If you really wanted to have an honest conversation, you would have done what i did before you made your comments claiming everything was either a lie or a fabrication.

There are a lot of comments people make that i might doubt at first blush. But instead of calling the people liars or fools, I do a modicum of research to see if possibly their points have some merit. If they do appear to have merit, I dig deeper. You need to do better. Be a part of the conversation, not just a knee-jerk contrarian.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM

9,427 posts, read 14,379,251 times
Quote:

Among the leading scholars …

It doesn’t take a scholar to figure out by common sense that the last serious US president was Eisenhower, and since then they have all been puppets in political theater, with the exception of the Bush family, powerful in their own right.

The last three presidents in particular have been absolute assclowns and/or assclown puppets, therein lies their power, and there is no comic relief in sight, not even RFK Jr, somewhat appealing only because he’s taint … t’ain’t this t’ain’t that, and that’s it.

Actual executive power lies elsewhere, and neither you nor these overpaid pretension scholars know where.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM

24,829 posts, read 9,595,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Trump has stated that he believes presidents have absolute power. It’s scary listening to him talk. Some people are worried that if Trump wins he will try to be a dictator and end our democratic republic. When people tell you who they are you should listen.
Who is more of a dicator?

Person A: 5 decades of public office, including 8 years as VP and 4 as president

Person B: 4 years of president.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM

Quote:
He entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, and documented what was going on, then he sold his footage to media outlets. Hmm, that's what journalists do. How do you think a journalist documents what is going on, if they don't go to where the action is, video it, then earn a living by selling the videos to news media outlets???

the links i posted, they took me between 2-5 minutes to locate. If you really wanted to have an honest conversation, you would have done what i did before you made your comments claiming everything was either a lie or a fabrication.

There are a lot of comments people make that i might doubt at first blush. But instead of calling the people liars or fools, I do a modicum of research to see if possibly their points have some merit. If they do appear to have merit, I dig deeper. You need to do better. Be a part of the conversation, not just a knee-jerk contrarian.
Key point is he wasn't there as a Journalist for the Blaze as the headline proclaims and even if a Journalist that doesn't excuse his behaviors that day which the charges are based on. Like the others he will have his day in court to argue his case.

For some reason you decided to provide links as I acknowledged for a poster who listed nothing with any real facts. They make statements and expect everyone to accept it because they said so even when I asked questions for their proof. If they can't provide it that's on them not me to do their research.

You respond how you choose to but if there is name calling it was on the other poster who you seem to be defending. Regurgitating the same tired accusations that appear on this board every day are not facts and posting almost every link from one source Fox does not translate to proof. How many people actually stop and question why only 1 source has the story when it is so earth shattering.....

Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

4,950 posts, read 3,377,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
... Regurgitating the same tired accusations that appear on this board every day are not facts and posting almost every link from one source Fox does not translate to proof. How many people actually stop and question why only 1 source has the story when it is so earth shattering.....

Funny how this only seems to apply to 'conservative' media outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies