Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 270 69.23%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 120 30.77%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,219,994 times

Advertisements

I am in agreeance as well, however the male friend I often discuss this with is totally against it.

He thinks this is the same reason why so many single parent families fail, as mentioned in my poll option he thinks a child needs to be brought up by a man, and a woman. A male influence and a female influence, and that most people just agree because it's the "cool" thing to do. What do you make of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,904,882 times
im absolutly ok with it, infact i know a few gay/lesbian famillies!
and quite frankly, they are happier families/better parents than the straight families i know...

not saying that this is true for all...
simply stating that sexual orientation makes no difference, a good, loving family if more important that what sex the parents are!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am in agreeance as well, however the male friend I often discuss this with is totally against it.

He thinks this is the same reason why so many single parent families fail, as mentioned in my poll option he thinks a child needs to be brought up by a man, and a woman. A male influence and a female influence, and that most people just agree because it's the "cool" thing to do. What do you make of that?
He sounds juvenile.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,361,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I'm all for it. A loving unit is a loving unit whether the unit be made of men, women, or both.

We had this discussion after work the other day at a happy hour and found out that one of our coworkers is an extreme homophobe. It is so disappointing to me. He even said he believes that a child is better off in foster care or with one parent than with a gay or lesbian couple. However, he could not provide a reason that he felt that way - it "just is" according to him.
ha. extreme homophobes are probably gay. i have YET to meet one homophobe that i had any prolonged contact with that did NOT secretly harbor some serious homo love in the deepest recesses of his heart. anyone who hates others secretly hates themselves. wasn't adolf part jewish?

anyway, for all those folks who whine about needing male/female role models- i venture that those people aren't very educated about homosexual relationships. as a lifelong *** hag and whose beloved sister was gay for 12 years, and being a lifelong champion of the "sisterhood of women" i can tell you that in most gay relationships, there is definitely one femme and one more masculine. i don't mean to make sweeping generalizations nor demean anyone, but come on, haven't you noticed? gender often doesn't have alot to do with what's between your legs. generally even in male/female relationships, there is one more dominant in manner than the other- and if you want to equate that with masculinity, then there you are. and anyway, who cares? do you think if a child grows up in a gay home he is gonna go gay? yeah, if you ignore ALL SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE. there are gay people EVERYWHERE even the tiny, itsy bitsy town in GA i grew up in. about 700 people lived there and it was pretty close-minded. but there was a local woman there who had a restaurant for decades (and its still there) and everyone knew she liked the ladies. and no one cared. she was HARDLY influenced by her environment. she was just born that way.

in such difficult, war-torn, loveless times anyone denying any loving non-creepy person the right to be a parent is pretty much part of the problem in my book.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,719,805 times
I'd like to know what it is about being raised by a male and female that's so important. Is it because of the behavioral traits usually found in each gender? I've often noticed in gay relationships that one person usually seems more... dominant/masculine than the other. Much like how USUALLY/GENERALLY, in a heterosexual relationship, the man is more dominant/in charge than the woman.

Given that admittedly small and anecdotal observation, what difference do the anatomies of the parents make?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,787,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post

People who say this rarely do so about widowed or single people.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
ha. extreme homophobes are probably gay. i have YET to meet one homophobe that i had any prolonged contact with that did NOT secretly harbor some serious homo love in the deepest recesses of his heart. anyone who hates others secretly hates themselves. wasn't adolf part jewish?

anyway, for all those folks who whine about needing male/female role models- i venture that those people aren't very educated about homosexual relationships. as a lifelong *** hag and whose beloved sister was gay for 12 years, and being a lifelong champion of the "sisterhood of women" i can tell you that in most gay relationships, there is definitely one femme and one more masculine. i don't mean to make sweeping generalizations nor demean anyone, but come on, haven't you noticed? gender often doesn't have alot to do with what's between your legs. generally even in male/female relationships, there is one more dominant in manner than the other- and if you want to equate that with masculinity, then there you are. and anyway, who cares? do you think if a child grows up in a gay home he is gonna go gay? yeah, if you ignore ALL SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE. there are gay people EVERYWHERE even the tiny, itsy bitsy town in GA i grew up in. about 700 people lived there and it was pretty close-minded. but there was a local woman there who had a restaurant for decades (and its still there) and everyone knew she liked the ladies. and no one cared. she was HARDLY influenced by her environment. she was just born that way.

in such difficult, war-torn, loveless times anyone denying any loving non-creepy person the right to be a parent is pretty much part of the problem in my book.
I'm curious. You throw this word "homophobe" around a lot. What does it mean to you?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,785,728 times
These gay folks generally adopt kids who have been "discarded" by their parents. Rather than growing up in the orphanage or getting adopted by some moronic Madonna, they are better off with a gay couple.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,310,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I think gay couples deserve to enjoy all the misery, and stinky poopies, and dirty diapers as the straight couples enjoy. Love is universal

Jonathan
Bingo! I believe in equal rights for all law-abiding citizens! What a damaging idea! Our country and society are going right into the diaper genie!

It's funny, macgeek, that 2 of the 3 things you listed about parenthood were gross diapers. That's one of the things that comes to mind first for me too!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 AM

656 posts, read 2,746,569 times
I'm not going to lie, I was once against it. Like a lot of people I always thought a child needs a mother and a father

But as I'm older I seem to have come around to the idea

Put it this way. If I had a daughter and she grew up to be a wonderful, caring, well adjusted human being. Who just happened to be gay. Who was in a long term relationship with someone with the same qualities. There is no way in the world I could ever have the heart to tell her she shouldn't have kids. Knowing full well they would be better parents than most.

Having said all that. Would I agree that Gay parents should be Equally placed in a queue for adoption with other couples??? My head says they should have equal billing, but my heart says No. I guess that means I haven't fully come around to the idea as yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies