Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 10:18 AM

801 posts, read 451,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'm guessing he missed a spot. Or the sealant absorbed and spread, becoming too thin to protect that one little spot (it's 2 spots total and as I said - a half cup of water total, within a 2-hour period of torrential downpours - which is a nothingburger).

You never use a handyman, because handymen don't have insurance. If they fall off your roof and hurt themselves, YOU get sued. If they misstep onto the laundry shed and their foot goes through your roof, YOU pay for the repairs and your insurance won't cover it.

The previous owners used a handyman to install the dishwasher in my house. The handyman also put new flooring down. He didn't put a barrier between the particle board and the planks, which he should have done, so the planks slip and there are gaps between them. So we can't wash our floors as we would like - because the particle board is exposed and that can't get wet. He also slipped the dishwasher under the counter while the floor was uncovered - which means the only way to replace the dishwasher now is to remove the kitchen counter - or rip out our flooring.

Never - ever - ever - hire a handyman to do anything in the house other than trim your hedges. It's just not worth the efforts in fixing whatever he screws up, because he's not qualified, insured, or licensed and there's zero accountability.
Thanks for the response.
What you say makes a lot of sense.

However, the handymen I have worked with are 2 people I know well, and I feel quite certain that
A) they know what they are doing and
B} are careful, and,
C) they wouldn't sue me.

Of course that is somewhat of a risk, but it's a risk I take confidently.

This is also a matter of economics.
I cannot afford to hire roofers and vapor barrier people who as I have outlined above are making estimates that are not based on reality, but lies, and basically trying to gouge me.

So, my only option is to find someone to do it cheaper, and who I can trust to do it well, which is a hard thing to find in this environment of people who just want to rip off people in 55-plus communities. Or, do it myself, which is becoming something I realize I have to do.

In general, though, I totally agree with you that it is best to hire people who are bonded professionals. But finding professionals who don't gouge and don't lie is almost impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 08:36 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Thanks for going to the trouble to research that.

However there must be different types of elastomeric, because several people have told me that it is indeed good for metal roofs and there are many positive reviews. This link will show you that elastomeric indeed is good for metal roofs.

My only question is whether or not it works well to STOP AND PREVENT LEAKS, and that's why I'm looking for personal recommendations from people who have used it.
Thanks again for your input.
Don't thank me - I just stuck it into Google. LOL

You know, now that I think about it, I think they use elastomeric to seal the roofs of leaking trailers and fifth wheels. A trailer forum might be able to help you more. Here's one I found a while back:

https://www.rvforum.net

Old 01-05-2024, 07:27 PM

251 posts, read 236,113 times
What are your thoughts about a rubber roof over

Old 01-05-2024, 07:49 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
There are a bunch of homes in my community with the white membrane roofs. They're supposedly very cost-effective, energy-efficient, and long-lasting.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:18 AM

451 posts, read 421,824 times
Are you able to access open space between underside of roof and your ceiling to see where water is entering?
I would try replacing screws first. Seal underside of screws with a dab of silicone.

If that doesn't work you need to seal it I would guess.

Heck for half prices you are being quoted I can send up a guy from costa rica to fix it.
What a ra kit up there.

Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Are you able to access open space between underside of roof and your ceiling to see where water is entering?
I would try replacing screws first. Seal underside of screws with a dab of silicone.

If that doesn't work you need to seal it I would guess.

Heck for half prices you are being quoted I can send up a guy from costa rica to fix it.
What a ra kit up there.

Best of luck!
Exactly. Am considering doing that. It IS a racket. Prices seem to reflect about $300-400 an hour labor.
(Yesterday an auto repair wanted $800 for 4 brakes and rotors) Sign posted said $150/hr.
I will look for someone else to do it.
Meanwhile the workers don't make very much...

Old 01-18-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Thanks. That would probably be fine, but the cost is pretty high. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest fix.
The elastimeric "paint" is probably what I will try.
The spot that was leaking is no longer leaKing after a handyman put silicone on top of a couple screws.
Finding someone to even do that is difficult. This guy did it as a quick favor, but he won't do the whole roof.

Bottom line is that no one wants to do simple repairs. They want to replace roofs and vapor barriers and air conditioners etc rather than fix them because obviously they make more money that way.

Very difficult to find anyone to repair anything like roofs, vapor barriers and small subfloor areas. It seems they feel it's a waste of their time when they can be putting on a whole new roof, whole new subfloor, or vapor barrier by convincing the client the one they have is not worth repairing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando