Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 04:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Same as dogs and cats.
Not at all. You can learn more about that here:

https://www.backpacker.com/stories/a...ic-bears-real/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 07:45 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not at all. You can learn more about that here:

https://www.backpacker.com/stories/a...ic-bears-real/
Well if a blogger says so, it must be true.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:53 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Same as dogs and cats.
Dogs and cats are more of a symbioses than captivity. With cats, I suspect that they are getting the better of the deal.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well if a blogger says so, it must be true.

Unlike your junk Youtube "sources," there's plenty of science that backs up that blog post. I only chose that venue because I figured it would be easiest for you to understand.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-07-2024 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-08-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Unlike your junk Youtube "sources," there's plenty of science that backs up that blog post. I only chose that venue because I figured it would be easiest for you to understand.
I'm using the videos as the evidence, for you to see for yourself.

If you are going to quote a source it would be nice if you use a source from some animal expert. Why would you think that a website that mostly reviews backpacking gear, would be a good place to learn about animal behavior? I doubt anybody associated with that website has any education in ethology or evolutionary biology.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:04 AM

35,010 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:

If you are going to quote a source it would be nice if you use a source from some animal expert. Why would you think that a website that mostly reviews backpacking gear, would be a good place to learn about animal behavior? I doubt anybody associated with that website has any education in ethology or evolutionary biology.
The problem is that having an exotic pet goes great until it doesn't. The video does not prove the future. Remember Travis the Chimp? Most baby mammals will imprint on a human if that's what they meet. The problems come when the "parent" figure becomes superfluous; remember Travis the Chimp. He was warm and cuddly until he wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc

Old 04-08-2024, 01:20 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:

Please. Even journalists are capable of doing research or getting input from experts before putting pen to paper/fingers to keyboards. Someone obviously did in order to come up with Bos primigenius! For writers with "no education in ethology or evolutionary biology" they didn't do a half bad job. They wanted to present a specific point and did so. Granted, that brief little piece was written from a very specific POV (a bear's), the tone was deliberately rather gruff and entertaining for their subscribers (who probably aren't looking to read a treatise on evolutionary biology and wouldn't read it if one did show up there), but they didn't get the underlying concept of domestication wrong.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-08-2024 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Why would you think that Youtube clickbait would be a good place to learn about animal behavior? You can find anything you want to back up any claim, no matter how ridiculous, on Youtube.

No one has disputed that bears have been kept in captivity by humans. In Wisconsin, one of the state you claim allows people to legally own a bear as a pet, the reality is that you can only do so at you can only do so with a Captive Wild Animal Farm License, and certain conditions have to be met. Similar restrictions exist in the few other states that allow private bear ownership.

The thesis of the backpacking article was to educate novice backpackers about the inadvisability of feeding bears, and that is absolutely relevant. It also did a good job of explaining in plain language the difference between a captive animal and a pet, which I don't think you understand.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The problem is that having an exotic pet goes great until it doesn't. The video does not prove the future. Remember Travis the Chimp? Most baby mammals will imprint on a human if that's what they meet. The problems come when the "parent" figure becomes superfluous; remember Travis the Chimp. He was warm and cuddly until he wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc
From 15 years ago. Interesting it was an Oregonian who was concerned enough and wanted to prevent it from ever happening again. So he tried to add monkeys to the list of prohibited wildlife species. The effort failed, but it has never happened again anyway.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Please. Even journalists are capable of doing research or getting input from experts before putting pen to paper/fingers to keyboards. Someone obviously did in order to come up with Bos primigenius! For writers with "no education in ethology or evolutionary biology" they didn't do a half bad job. They wanted to present a specific point and did so. Granted, that brief little piece was written from a very specific POV (a bear's), the tone was deliberately rather gruff and entertaining for their subscribers (who probably aren't looking to read a treatise on evolutionary biology and wouldn't read it if one did show up there), but they didn't get the underlying concept of domestication wrong.
Please, the article is a humor piece written from a bear's point of view, by backpacking gear reviewers. It's not a serious article. I'm interested in anything people have to refute anything I have said. But you have to have a better source than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon