Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 12:25 PM

46 posts, read 74,662 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my apartment for 11 years and have painted my walls and kitchen cabinets without permission from the property management company. I am worried that if they see it they will evict me. I know that when I move I will have to paint over them. I painted one wall dark teal and the kitchen cabinets black. I have to say that the kitchen cabinets had already had years of being painted over them before I painted them black. The paint they used would not allow me to just wipe them off and the cabinets are so warped they dont even all close properly. I know I am making excuses for my actions but I feel like I made them look better even replacing all the knobs, I tried to replace the other hardware but they are so old and painted over so many times I could not get them off when I tried. Again I intend on painting everything back when I move I am just concerned that if they came in now they would evict me. But I know that one of my neighbors has painted their room a bright pink also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 12:53 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Your original lease will answer this question for you.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:10 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYSEXYCOOL View Post
I have lived in my apartment for 11 years and have painted my walls and kitchen cabinets without permission from the property management company. I am worried that if they see it they will evict me. I know that when I move I will have to paint over them. I painted one wall dark teal and the kitchen cabinets black. I have to say that the kitchen cabinets had already had years of being painted over them before I painted them black. The paint they used would not allow me to just wipe them off and the cabinets are so warped they dont even all close properly. I know I am making excuses for my actions but I feel like I made them look better even replacing all the knobs, I tried to replace the other hardware but they are so old and painted over so many times I could not get them off when I tried. Again I intend on painting everything back when I move I am just concerned that if they came in now they would evict me. But I know that one of my neighbors has painted their room a bright pink also.
First, what does your lease/rental agreement say about making any modifications?

Your landlord can decide to evict you for violating the terms of your lease. All the excuses you gave, what color you chose, what color your neighbor chose, how neglected your unit's cabinets are, how nice you think the result is, are beside the point. YOU chose the place and stayed all those years despite its condition. If you had wanted to make changes to someone else's property you should have gotten permission first. You didn't for whatever reason. Why not? Not only does that violate your contract with the property owner, it shows disregard for someone else's property rights and flaunted their authority. How happy would you be if you rented a bedroom in your house to someone and they decided to paint YOUR walls (color doesn't matter) without asking you first?

If your landlord does mandated safety or maintenance inspections of your unit, they're going to discover your unauthorized paint job eventually. They are probably within their rights to evict. Or, they could also charge some sort of fine, even withhold your security deposit if/when you do move out. Read your lease!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2024 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2024, 08:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A big problem can be paint compatibility… especially on older units.

Premium paint for decades was oils base and I have experienced nightmares when tenants painted latex over oil… disaster where it eventually all checks and peels.

Oils are phased out in California and to convert to latex requires added steps to scuff and then oil primer before latex… never seen a renter do this.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; Today at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: