Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 01:08 PM

88,890 posts, read 85,398,091 times

Advertisements

When my dd was little, she gave me for Mother's Day a little figure of a girl holding a sign that said, "World's Best Mom". After I properly oohed and aahed, she said proudly, "And look at the sticker on the bottom. I got it on the half-price table!"

As a college student she sent me a Mother's Day card with a note that included the words, "and thank you for teaching me never to pay full price for anything."

I did my job!

Old 05-11-2024, 02:06 PM

37,778 posts, read 46,273,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
holidays for me in general carry a lot of family trauma to the point where what i like best now is not celebrating them at all. for me that is most peaceful.

Thirty years ago, i remember i was an exhausted young mother of 3 toddlers, and I remember vividly that all i really wanted on Mother's Day what I wanted best was a quiet day by myself all alone WITHOUT the demands of family, basically a day where I got a break, and someone else took care of the husband and the house and the kids. I remember thinking in my heart of hearts that what i really wanted was a day all to myself, where i could oh say drive to the nearby lake and sit on a bench reading a book, and then take a nap for 3 or 4 hours, and then go eat someplace by myself ordering the food that i wanted and then while i was gone have the husband clean the house so I would come home to a clean house and a fire built in the fireplace.
I would have loved that - and these days I can do that anytime I want!

I don't know why so many people think that mom always wants a lot of crapola going on and to go out or whatever. Calm and peaceful and not having to do a darn thing is the best Mother's Day gift for lots of us moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 02:07 PM

6,894 posts, read 11,285,312 times
Smile Celebrating Mother's Day

Growing up, we always went to church and then went to brunch. We always gave my mom a card and our father made sure she was remembered.

When I was pregnant with my first child (a daughter), my own mother sent me a beautiful card saying how proud I would be the next Mother's Day. (I still have the card and I had our daughter in July).

First real Mother's Day comes around - I get calls and cards from my mother and calls from my siblings.
At the end of the day, I finally said something to my husband and he said "You're not my mother!" even though I had been the one to remember both moms! He took it very literally.

Anyway, that never happened again. My own father gave him a little counseling and he just didn't know.

I now get a card from him which is fine.

Our son is meeting us for church and then we are going to brunch. Our daughter lives out of state.
I am grateful that there were years where she flew home for the weekend. Grateful for those times.
(We need to visit her this summer).

Old 05-11-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Growing up, we always went to church and then went to brunch. We always gave my mom a card and our father made sure she was remembered.

When I was pregnant with my first child (a daughter), my own mother sent me a beautiful card saying how proud I would be the next Mother's Day. (I still have the card and I had our daughter in July).

First real Mother's Day comes around - I get calls and cards from my mother and calls from my siblings.
At the end of the day, I finally said something to my husband and he said "You're not my mother!" even though I had been the one to remember both moms! He took it very literally.

Anyway, that never happened again. My own father gave him a little counseling and he just didn't know.

I now get a card from him which is fine.
I agree with your hubby. I would never call anyone else other than my mom, for Mother's Day, or get anyone else a card. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:09 PM

22,806 posts, read 19,407,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I agree with your hubby. I would never call anyone else other than my mom, for Mother's Day, or get anyone else a card. That doesn't even make sense to me.
because it is up to the father, to teach the young children growing up, how to cherish and respect and honor the individual precious person who is their mom, and also the role of mom and mother in the bigger picture in the world. kids don't learn that on their own, unless it is taught to them, and the one to do that is the dad, that is the husband, the father of those children. he is the one who shops for a gift with them, or helps them make a homemade card, or helps them draw a special picture just for mom, or helps them create a surprise for her.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
because it is up to the father, to teach the young children growing up, how to cherish and respect and honor the individual precious person who is their mom, and also the role of mom and mother in the bigger picture in the world. kids don't learn that on their own, unless it is taught to them, and the one to do that is the dad, that is the husband, the father of those children. he is the one who shops for a gift with them, or helps them make a homemade card, or helps them draw a special picture just for mom, or helps them create a surprise for her.
I wasn’t talking about Dad teaching the children. I was talking about the Dad getting his wife a card for Mother’s Day. And calls from people other than your children. Maybe I misunderstood the post.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-11-2024 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-11-2024, 03:17 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,176,723 times
Nice reading here. Brings back good memories. Coffee in bed and snuggles. Doesn't get better than that.

Then we'd all go see Grandma and bring her flowers from the garden. As luck would have it, lily of the valley was always in bloom and we had a lot of it in the yard.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about Dad teaching the children. I was talking about Dad wishing his wife a happy Mother’s Day. Maybe I misunderstood the post.
i think it is up to every dad to honor the mother of his children on Mother's Day. True she is not his own mother. But for a mother of young children (or even older children), it is likely he may be the only person who can extend this recognition and appreciation to her.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
i think it is up to every dad to honor the mother of his children on Mother's Day. True she is not his own mother. But for a mother of young children (or even older children), it is likely he may be the only person who can extend this recognition and appreciation to her.
Sure he can “honor” her. But getting upset because you didn’t get a card from your husband? That’s just silly in my view.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Sure he can “honor” her. But getting upset because you didn’t get a card from your husband? That’s just silly in my view.
and clearly the father in law understood better than that new dad did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships