Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:19 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Again.... All of those wrapped up Christmas presents weren't just going to be sitting there. They were obviously going out to people. According to the police report, there were over 40 individual gifts. Let me ask you. Where do you think all of those presents were going? To the tooth fairy?

And I didn't say everyone is out to get you. Where did I say everyone? I could have swore that I said to be very cautious of who you call a friend. But if you believe that everyone that you befriend actually cares about you, then that's your own business. Good luck with that
Buying christmaas presents for people does not mean they were her real friends. And maybe they were for a homeless shelter or co-workers. She most likely loved the part of christmas that entailed giving gifts but it had nothing to do with her real relationships. You are projecting your personal attitudes on a stranger.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:47 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I just told two "friends" to pound sand this morning and deleted their numbers. Next....

Old 04-11-2024, 11:09 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
For years I knitted a 100 scarves for a homeless shelter’s Xmas party to give as gifts. It doesn’t mean these people are my friends. The OP has made up an entire scenario about this woman which I find odd. If you want to help people why not volunteer and make a difference.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:44 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
This has always stuck with me the most over the years more than any other story because it tells me that the vast majority of people you consider friends don't give a damn about you, don't care what you're going through and don't care enough to call or check up on you to see how you are doing.
That's a hell of a leap to a blanket generalization based on one woman's story. I can say with complete certainty that my friends and family do care about me and would call to check up on me.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:31 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
This has always stuck with me the most over the years more than any other story because it tells me that the vast majority of people you consider friends don't give a damn about you, don't care what you're going through and don't care enough to call or check up on you to see how you are doing.

Many others have been hard on you for this take, and I have to say I don't see it your way either.

I do see it as a very sad story, but not because her friends did something wrong, but rather, perhaps she waited too long to reach out to them. My moral to the story is if you have something nice you'd like to do or give, don't wait. You never know how long you have.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:53 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Right.. never mind that there were over 40 of them.

Actually let's put it this way. She had 40 gifts for people that she had in mind. Out of all of those gifts, there was not a single person that thought to get her a gift. Not one. Never mind that no one ever thought to call her or check on her. No one even cared enough to give her a gift. Like a previous poster stated, they may not even have been close friends but just friends in general. She still found it in her heart keep them in mind.

So yes... The moral of this story is very valid
We know for a fact that het sister(s) hired a private detective and reached out to Salvation Army to try and find this person.

So SOMEONE cared. SHE had a habit of shutting people out of her life, but you want to blame everyone else.

We have no idea what she intended to do with those gifts. I can speculate as well as anyone else, but its ALL speculation including your speculation.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:04 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Then what were all of the presents wrapped and ready to be sent out for?

According to the police report, there were quite a few of them already wrapped and ready to be sent out.

Since we don't have children, my spouse and I often participate in those holiday gift trees where charities hang wish list items from families and you pick a branch and buy what's on the wish list. Some years I've bought dozens of gifts and wrapped them for an entire family or several different kids. Maybe this is what was going on here.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I never heard of this story but I remember this one, truly sad

https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/mi...und/index.html

Old 04-12-2024, 09:05 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I think it's a sad story and an example of how things can go wrong, very wrong in a life if bad luck, bad timing and bad choices come together. She had lived a difficult life with a lot of problems, and she probably could not handle them properly.

I don't know if it's an overall indictment of friendship. In truth, friendship isn't a formal, official thing, it's by its very nature changeable, malleable and subject to interpretation. I think most people know this and know that many friendships are highly context-dependent. Friends who'll be there 'in the end' aren't going to be a dime a dozen. And some - maybe many - people will never form bonds close enough with others for there to be that expectation.

I've noticed that today many people are quick to throw away deeply established bonds with family in anger, out of resentment etc. when really that family is the core group you need to rely on. I personally know cases of people who made a conscious choice to walk away from family, but when the 'chips were down' it was that family which took care of them. That's not an indictment of friendship in itself, just a cautionary note that you should always think twice before discarding people that are close to you.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:31 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Many others have been hard on you for this take, and I have to say I don't see it your way either.

I do see it as a very sad story, but not because her friends did something wrong, but rather, perhaps she waited too long to reach out to them. My moral to the story is if you have something nice you'd like to do or give, don't wait. You never know how long you have.
And I don't think the truth is so malicious. I recently reconnected with a friend from college, and when we did the math of when we last spoke to each other, it had been a while. It wasn't a situation where neither of us "gave a damn" about the other or we hadn't been thinking of each other, it's just that life gets in the way and time moves quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships