Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 02:59 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Can a hermit/recluse live a life that is at least as equally fulfilling as someone with meaningful, established connections?
i think the answer is "no." See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
People aren't meant to be socially isolated for long periods of time. People need people. People need friends. Circumstances may cause some people to withdraw from other people, and alone time can certainly be a good thing. But long term social isolation is not healthy either emotionally or physically. I'm speaking for myself from personal experience.
I think Michael Way says it best. Man is a social animal. Just as dogs and wolves are pack animals. That is how we are meant to be. The experiment in forcing people live solitary lives during the COVID “pandemic” was a miserable failure. That is why it caused such an upsurge in depression and other mental illnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 03:10 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Can a hermit/recluse live a life that is at least as equally fulfilling as someone with meaningful, established connections?
yes

Old 03-27-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Nope you can't live life alone. People aren't built that way. People need people. They need conversation and companionship even if it is only for 10 minutes a day at the low end and with several friends and many acquaintances at the high.
Nope, they do not. Not all people.
It depends on the person. There are people who can, do, and are happy without social interaction.

Quote:
But many will still rationalize and think they are doing ok alone. They aren't.
you can speak for yourself. you can not speak for other people

Old 03-27-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The hermit/recluse needs to recognize that willfully choosing to live as a hermit is a form of mental illness. They can exist and function that way and be fulfilled with it if they are informed about their condition and know when to seek help when needed and are content to choose that lifestyle for their self. But aside from their chosen way of living it will still be essential to have some kind of social contact and communication (preferably verbal communication) with other humans from time to time. If they don't have personal, face-to-face social contact and communication with other humans at least periodically then the recluse gradually unravels and becomes dangerously insane and incapable of taking care of their self. There is a difference between being (a) self-recognizably mentally ill and able to deal with it appropriately and safely and being (b) dangerously insane and not recognizing that one has gone off the deep end, not recognizing that they need help and not getting the help they need.

Think about light house keepers who live in isolated places. They are required to either alternately live a month alone at work and then a month off away from work while another alternating light keeper takes their place on the job, or else they must have a compatible work partner that shares the light house residence and daily duties with them on the job. Even with a partner they are still both required to take scheduled time off away from the lighthouse and the work and go away to mingle and communicate socially with society while one or two different keepers take their place at the light house. This is to help them maintain their mental stability and sanity that can and will come under attack due to isolation.
i seriously doubt that you are a mental health professional.
and therefore are incapable of diagnosing mental illness, insanity, mental stability.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:37 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
For Myself, through a 12th program, learned what is acceptable And non-acceptable behavior. Choice I learned, victim or survival. Learned to choose more wisely otherwise l continue to accept all behavior ! Good or bad. 12th step, felt accepted, people shared their experience, strength and hope. Became the family I longed for. Currently, I attend for people who also looking for answers for Themselves !

Agree, believe we are social creatures; remember during the pandemic, a person, traveled miles to attend my house of worship; services were held regularly, except for a few short weeks

Each one of has a gift to share on our journey of life; recently having broken my right arm, have been told lovingly, to accept help. Am Very humbled by all the offers of help, Overwhelmed ! As a giver, it's her humbling ! So grateful from people from all walks of life.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i seriously doubt that you are a mental health professional.
and therefore are incapable of diagnosing mental illness, insanity, mental stability.
Struck a dubious nerve, did I? Okie dokie, if you say so. Serious doubting is your's and everyone's prerogative and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Carry on.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:42 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Nope you can't live life alone.

People aren't built that way. People need people. They need conversation and companionship even if it is only for 10 minutes a day at the low end and with several friends and many acquaintances at the high.

But many will still rationalize and think they are doing ok alone. They aren't.
You are wrong! Several friends? Yeah, ok. It works for some but I, personally, don't have to talk to anyone. I have a wife and kids and that's about it. Most of the time, I want to be left alone!

Old 03-28-2024, 11:54 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
A hermit does not necessarily have "zero" social interaction, just less than whatever the "norm" is, which can vary from one culture (and even subculture) to another. So I don't think one can make a blanket statement about the unsustainability of living as a "hermit" except to say that the vast majority of people would be harmed by "absolute zero" social contact over a long period of time. Still, for some people, the amount that is "enough" for them would be far too little for an extrovert to feel OK.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:41 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Struck a dubious nerve, did I? Okie dokie, if you say so. Serious doubting is your's and everyone's prerogative and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Carry on.

I generally like your posting. At least in the U.S. "insane" is not a medical term; it is a legal term. Thus the doubt. Personally I have no doubt that you are a professional.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:50 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
You are wrong! Several friends? Yeah, ok. It works for some but I, personally, don't have to talk to anyone. I have a wife and kids and that's about it. Most of the time, I want to be left alone!
If you have a wife/kids you are not a hermit. You do talk to people, you need to consider the needs and feelings of others, and you're certainly not alone. This thread seems to be focused on people who truly do live a life without connections to others. You're living with family. That can provide you with many of the same social benefits friendships do. Note that I did not claim they'll provide all of them. The relationships are different, but family still keeps those social cogs and wheels lubricated.

Kinda similar to those obnoxious people who respond to threads about spending holidays "alone" saying they're only going to spend them with their spouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships