Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 01:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 7,224,223 times

Advertisements

Dumb Murphy, dump Democrats and dump NJ Transit

https://patch.com/new-jersey/across-...sidents-wallet

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 05-16-2024 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 03:29 PM

20,391 posts, read 20,030,699 times
Meh. NJ'ians are rich. They can afford it.

Old 05-17-2024, 02:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,337,796 times
I think u will be surprised how much more taxes the common man has to pay in a Red state.

I think sales tax on food (and everything) is the norm in most states

Similarly, I think the exemptions and deductions on income tax is quite high in NJ, thereby leading to lower personal income tax

We should do this comparison for say NC or GA, for say a 100K salary, and see where NJ stands. My guess is that NJ is actually better off

Property tax is a local issue, and could be double what people in GA and NC pay.

Old 05-17-2024, 02:18 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,337,796 times
That said, I don't feel NJ actually wants people to use NJ Transit! Going by how high the fares are!

I am fan of public transit systems, and hope they come up with meaningful fares that make transit a no brainer

Old 05-17-2024, 02:19 PM

Oops I changed the title yesterday when I wrote this post, they are raising the sales tax.

Old 05-20-2024, 01:41 PM

7,605 posts, read 3,697,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I think u will be surprised how much more taxes the common man has to pay in a Red state.

Similarly, I think the exemptions and deductions on income tax is quite high in NJ, thereby leading to lower personal income tax

We should do this comparison for say NC or GA, for say a 100K salary, and see where NJ stands. My guess is that NJ is actually better off

Property tax is a local issue, and could be double what people in GA and NC pay.
Where I live, the sales tax is the same as in NJ except no state income tax, no tolls, annual property taxes are a month of what I had to pay in NJ.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:02 PM

51,334 posts, read 37,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post

Yes, I think a lot of people forget the majority of states tax food and clothing. If you buy $175 a week worth of groceries, it’s almost $700 a year in taxes you save being in New Jersey. Plus states like South Carolina charge hundreds for car registration and require that you pay yearly property taxes on your car. They’re gonna get you one way or the other.

Old 05-23-2024, 06:47 PM

10,231 posts, read 19,309,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I think a lot of people forget the majority of states tax food and clothing.
Most states tax clothing, but not groceries. Only 13 states tax groceries.

Quote:
If you buy $175 a week worth of groceries, it’s almost $700 a year in taxes you save being in New Jersey. Plus states like South Carolina charge hundreds for car registration and require that you pay yearly property taxes on your car. They’re gonna get you one way or the other.
If you live in one of the states which taxes groceries it probably won't require $175/week. Tax burden is much less in nearly every other state of the union. NJ is high in all taxes nowadays.

Old 05-29-2024, 08:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,117,736 times
First of all, NJT is only failing according to the OP of this thread. It takes thousands of people from congested roads and takes them to their destinations safely, usually on or close to schedule. Obviously the system is not perfect but most of the problems seem to be on the part of the system that uses Amtrak infrastructure. And just like any US transit system, NJT suffers from years of underinvestment. So it is a miracle that it actually functions as well as it does.

As to the taxes, I absolutely agree that NJT needs a dedicated source of funding that remains reasonable consistent through the years. I would like to see a mixture of taxes pay for it. I would be OK with a small increase in sales tax, with a small increase of gas tax, with a small increase on state taxes on the big corporations and millionaires. Hopefully all of these funding sources would be enough to consistently fund NJ transit.

Old 05-29-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
First of all, NJT is only failing according to the OP of this thread. It takes thousands of people from congested roads and takes them to their destinations safely, usually on or close to schedule. Obviously the system is not perfect but most of the problems seem to be on the part of the system that uses Amtrak infrastructure. And just like any US transit system, NJT suffers from years of underinvestment. So it is a miracle that it actually functions as well as it does.

As to the taxes, I absolutely agree that NJT needs a dedicated source of funding that remains reasonable consistent through the years. I would like to see a mixture of taxes pay for it. I would be OK with a small increase in sales tax, with a small increase of gas tax, with a small increase on state taxes on the big corporations and millionaires. Hopefully all of these funding sources would be enough to consistently fund NJ transit.
You just made the point that its failing. Raising the sales tax to fund the FAILING NJ Transit is disgusting.

Quote:
As to the taxes, I absolutely agree that NJT needs a dedicated source of funding that remains reasonable consistent through the years.
Yes and that should be the riders. If the riders cannot cover the costs of the system, the system should be dismantled and privatized.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 05-29-2024 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey